Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineXionide
Stranger

Loc: washington
Attention smokers! marijuana 'doubles mental health risk'
    #3850447 - 03/01/05 04:29 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I think its bullshit.

Smoking cannabis virtually doubles the risk of developing mental illnesses such as schizophrenia, researchers say.

The New Zealand scientists said their study suggested this was probably due to chemical changes in the brain which resulted from smoking the drug.

The study, published in the journal Addiction, followed over 1,000 people born in 1977 for 25 years.

UK mental health campaigners said it was more evidence of a "drug-induced mental health crisis".

The researchers, from the University of Otago, interviewed people taking part in the Christchurch Health and Development Study about their cannabis use at the ages of 18, 21 and 25.

This is the latest in long line of international research over the last 12 months that shows we are facing a drug-induced mental health crisis
Paul Corry, Rethink,

They were also interviewed about various aspects of their mental health.

The scientists found psychotic symptoms were more common among cannabis users.

They analysed their findings to take into account of the possibility that their illness encouraged people to use more cannabis, rather than the drug contributing to their condition.

But the researchers said the link was not likely to be due to people with mental illness having a greater wish to smoke cannabis.

Instead, they said cannabis may increase the chances of a person suffering psychosis by causing chemical changes to the brain.

The researchers also took into account factors such as family history, current mental disorders, and illicit substance abuse.

'Growing evidence'

The scientists, led by Professor David Fergusson, said it was likely cannabis use increased the chances of a person suffering psychosis by causing chemical changes to the brain.

Writing in Addiction, he added: "Even when all factors were taken into account, there was a clear increase in rates of psychotic symptoms after the start of regular use.

"These findings add to the growing body of evidence from different sources, all of which suggest that heavy use of cannabis may lead to increased risk of psychotic symptoms and disease in susceptible individuals."

Paul Corry, of the mental health charity Rethink, said: "This is the latest in long line of international research over the last 12 months that shows we are facing a drug-induced mental health crisis.

"Rethink is renewing its call to the Health Select Committee to investigate the latest research into the link between cannabis use and severe mental illness.

"We need action from the Department of Health and we need it now if we are to avoid the risk of tens of thousands of young people developing a severe mental illness in the future."

The Department of Health has said it will review all academic and clinical studies linking cannabis use to mental health problems.

Link

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineacidhead1279
Master Of AllThings Hip
 User Gallery

Loc: somewhere on the other si...
Re: Attention smokers! marijuana 'doubles mental health risk' [Re: Xionide]
    #3850484 - 03/01/05 04:47 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

all that shit is BS. of coarse they're gonna find some funny symptoms, the people they're studying are fuckin STONED!!!!

--------------------
Farewell FRSE!  We had such good times together.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #3850718 - 03/01/05 06:14 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Well, it's not really bullshit, but the conclusions some people are jumping to are:

Paul Corry, of the mental health charity Rethink, said: "This is the latest in long line of international research over the last 12 months that shows we are facing a drug-induced mental health crisis.

THAT is bullshit. People are already smoking pot in large numbers, and we're facing no such crisis. This does not mean that smoking pot regularly does not increase your odds of having psychotic problems, it simply means that only certain people are ever going to have those problems. Most people will smoke lots of pot without any such problems.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Offlinejoecrab
Moon Child

Loc: The Beautiful Suwannee Ri...
Re: Attention smokers! marijuana 'doubles mental health risk' [Re: Phluck]
    #3850874 - 03/01/05 08:11 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

^^^^^^^^^^^^
:thumbup: :thumbup: 

by the way, nice avatar

--------------------
and the moral of the story is, don't try to meditate on methamphetamines

Offlineivi
 User Gallery

Re: Attention smokers! marijuana 'doubles mental health risk' [Re: joecrab]
    #3850891 - 03/01/05 08:27 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

heavy use of cannabis may lead to increased risk of psychotic symptoms and disease in susceptible individuals

Well, duuuhhhh :smirk:

But there is too little information provided about the study. I don't want to see suggestions, claims and interviews. I want to see that evidence they're talking about - numbers, chemicals, analysis, formulas, graphs yadda yadda yadda

--------------------

OfflineRJLR
No greater love
 User Gallery

Loc: France, keepin' tabs with...
Re: Attention smokers! marijuana 'doubles mental health risk' [Re: ivi]
    #3851022 - 03/01/05 09:58 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

if they are clinging to sanity in the first place, they are going to react badly. I had a mental brake down, or ( adolescent crises ) I stopped smoking and it didn't do away, until I decided to grow up and stop blaming every thing for the way life is some times shit...
It's all in your head man...

--------------------
Gotta to spread the word about:
http://www.johnnyganjaseed.com/johnny.htm

Offlineivi
 User Gallery

Re: Attention smokers! marijuana 'doubles mental health risk' [Re: RJLR]
    #3851025 - 03/01/05 10:01 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Haha, I like You  :laugh:

--------------------

Invisiblevinsue
Grand Old Fart
Male

Loc: The Garden State(NJ) Flag
    #3851046 - 03/01/05 10:11 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Pot smoking doesn't make you crazy! Why are you people always saying that? Stop it! Leave me alone! I'm not crazy,and it's not from pot.Why don't you people ever listen? Now get out of my brain and stop telling me to do bad things.... :grin:

--------------------
"All mushrooms are edible; but some only once." Croatian proverb. BTW ...
  Have You Rated Ythans Mom Yet ?? ... :taser:  ... HERE'S HOW ... (be nice) .  :mod: ... :peace:

InvisibleAmethyst_Acid
Digital Ruler
Female

#3851191 - 03/01/05 11:18 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

damnit. i had horrible depression for years. i couldn't live with it. smoking weed helps me so much, i wihs i could make people understand. it has helped me so much

InvisibleHendostan
Male

Re: Attention smokers! marijuana 'doubles mental health risk' [Re: Amethyst_Acid]
    #3851213 - 03/01/05 11:25 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

^^^^^^^^^^^^ i agree, it has helped me with social anxiety and depression for years. self medication is not for everyone, but i know it works for me :smile: i recently cut back on the ganja smoking, and none of the symptoms have yet come back.  i think it honestly not only covered them up in a haze of smoke, but it actually forced me to analyze myself and come to terms with the reasons for the depression. i feel much better now. thank you cannabis...:spliff:

OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
Re: Attention smokers! marijuana 'doubles mental health risk' [Re: Hendostan]
    #3851245 - 03/01/05 11:36 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

This just in: posting stupid stuff on teh intarweb gives you cancer

OfflineRJLR
No greater love
 User Gallery

Loc: France, keepin' tabs with...
Re: Attention smokers! marijuana 'doubles mental health risk' [Re: kronnyQ]
    #3851249 - 03/01/05 11:40 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

He he he YERRR
Put him in a vase...
OHH bouncin' boobies!

--------------------
Gotta to spread the word about:
http://www.johnnyganjaseed.com/johnny.htm

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: Attention smokers! marijuana 'doubles mental health risk' [Re: Amethyst_Acid]
    #3851356 - 03/01/05 12:15 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Amethyst_Acid said:
damnit. i had horrible depression for years. i couldn't live with it. smoking weed helps me so much, i wihs i could make people understand. it has helped me so much

Exactly. I have bad anxiety and pot has done wonders to help me cope. People have looked down upon me for self-medicating, but I feel I know my body and mind better then some doctor. I was on prescription meds for years and couldn't take them anymore because the side-effects got to be such a burden. I am trying to slowly wean myself off pot so that I don't need it anymore but until then it is a wonderful resource to have.

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa
 User Gallery

Re: Attention smokers! marijuana 'doubles mental health risk' [Re: acidhead1279]
    #3851378 - 03/01/05 12:22 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Ok so what happens when the silly stoner smokes pot for 10 years and never paid attention to the side effects it imbides on him? As he smokes less he realises he is wacked out. I dont think it bullshit, I think the people that clame it as bullshit are procrastinating and not open to the possibillities that just maybe the thing they like has some possible longterm ill effects on a person.

--------------------

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male Arcade Champion: Plumber

Loc: California
    #3851383 - 03/01/05 12:23 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Xionide said:
The New Zealand scientists said their study suggested this was probably due to chemical changes in the brain which resulted from smoking the drug.

Chemical changes in the brain? It binds to receptors and then falls off later, it makes no permanent chemical changes.
Quote:

4) If it doesn't kill brain cells, how does it get you `high'? Killing brain cells is not a pre-requisite for getting `high.' Marijuana contains a chemical which substitutes for a natural brain chemical, with a few differences. This chemical touches special `buttons' on brain cells called `receptors.' Essentially, marijuana `tickles' brain cells. The legal drug alcohol also tickles brain cells, but it will damage and kill them by producing toxins (poisons) and sometimes mini-seizures. Also, some drugs will wear out the buttons which they push, but marijuana does not.

``Structure of a Cannabinoid Receptor'' by L. A. Matsuda , S. J. Lolait , M. J. Browstein, A. C. Young, T. I. Bonner in ``Nature'' Vol. 346 Iss. 6824 pp. 561-564. August, 1990. (marijuana does not wear out it's receptors) ``Chronic Exposure to Delta-9-Tetrahydrocannabinol Fails to Irreversibly Alter Brain Cannabinoid Receptors'' by Tracy M. Westlake, Allyn C. Howlett, Syed F. Ali, Merle G. Paule, Andrew C. Scallet, William Slikker Jr. in ``Brain Research'' Vol. 544 pp. 145-149. 1991.

--------------------
delta9

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa
 User Gallery

Re: Attention smokers! marijuana 'doubles mental health risk' [Re: delta9]
    #3852091 - 03/01/05 02:57 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

In lamemans turms, it effects the pain signals on the receptors. Creating a state of euphoria, Dopamine naturaly makes this feeling, but narcotics mimic it and hinder the production of the natural accuring dopamene. Over time less happy = less dopamene = chemicaly dependent to feel good= depression and a feeeling of "what have I become"

--------------------

InvisibleJoeChip
Entropy
    #3852377 - 03/01/05 04:03 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Amethyst_Acid said:

why not try going on medications or exercising?
Or seeing a therapist?

--------------------
I am Ubik. Before the universe was, I am. I made the suns. I made the worlds. I created the lives and the places they inhabit; I move them here, I put them there. They go as I say, they do as I tell them. I am the word and my name is never spoken, the name which no one knows. I am called Ubik, but that is not my name. I am. I shall always be.

InvisibleAmethyst_Acid
Digital Ruler
Female

Re: Attention smokers! marijuana 'doubles mental health risk' [Re: JoeChip]
    #3852435 - 03/01/05 04:14 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

i've been on antidepressants for 7 years. zoloft, prozac, buspar, wellbutrin, serzone, paxil, effexor, risperdal, and more. i've ben to 7 independant therapists, 5 psychitrists, plus the ones i saw the FOUR time i was in the hospital.
exercising doesn't help.
thanks but i'm done trying crap that doesn't work.

InvisibleJoeChip
Entropy
    #3852465 - 03/01/05 04:21 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Amethyst_Acid said:
i've been on antidepressants for 7 years. zoloft, prozac, buspar, wellbutrin, serzone, paxil, effexor, risperdal, and more. i've ben to 7 independant therapists, 5 psychitrists, plus the ones i saw the FOUR time i was in the hospital.
exercising doesn't help.
thanks but i'm done trying crap that doesn't work.

damn that sucks. I'm sorry to hear that it's like that for you.
Ever try meditation? That worked for me.
If Cannabis works then go for it, just be careful and don't get caught.

--------------------
I am Ubik. Before the universe was, I am. I made the suns. I made the worlds. I created the lives and the places they inhabit; I move them here, I put them there. They go as I say, they do as I tell them. I am the word and my name is never spoken, the name which no one knows. I am called Ubik, but that is not my name. I am. I shall always be.

InvisibleAmethyst_Acid
Digital Ruler
Female

Re: Attention smokers! marijuana 'doubles mental health risk' [Re: JoeChip]
    #3852480 - 03/01/05 04:25 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

yeah i've tried it. i'll stick to my bud.:)

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Community >> The Pub