Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineElvis25
Swell Lover
Loc: ripping off Conan O'Brien
Inconsistant Mush Growth In Same Terrarium
    #1035595 - 11/08/02 09:27 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I have 9 dunked cakes placed in a clear rubbermaid container. The lid is on loosely... not snapped shut. The chamber is perlite humidified and misted once a day. The temps range from 70 to 72 F. I fan three times daily. The only variable is a small one inch in diameter hole 2/3rds up the right wall of the chamber. I put it there to aid in gas exchange. The three cakes closest to that wall are producing lovely flushes of tall, thick fungi with caramel colored caps ( all are B+ strain.) However, the cakes further away from the wall (toward the center and left side of the chamber) are producing short fattys with reddish, dark brown caps. I know I've read something about why a fattass is produced from a cake, but I cant remember where I read it or exactly what it said. I am assuming its a humidity prob.? Too high maybe? Or is it gas exchange? Would drilling more holes on every side eleveate this problem? Any answers would help...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLoop_Theorist
addict
Re: Inconsistant Mush Growth In Same Terrarium [Re: Elvis25]
    #1035818 - 11/08/02 10:49 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

move the cakes around to see if being near that hole really changes things... then you will have solved your own problem :wink:

-Loop

--------------------
Pack-tight, midnight, ship it to tha coast.
Some take tha plane, you, you on tha boat,
right beside tha money which right beside tha coke
Passin by tha coastgaurd, right under their nose.

To the US-HEY where anyone can getny, MIA all the way to New Your city, you a twenty now....

OfflineTheta
TranscendentalExplorer

#1035870 - 11/08/02 11:14 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Could be gas exchange and humidity both. Just something to think about

Where are your cakes located in relation to the hole - i.e. how much higher or lower compared to the hole? Depending on the chamber dynamics and position of your cakes, gas composition and exchange may be uniform throughout despite the hole on one side.

It almost seems more likely to me that water vapor is being drawn out that hole. One of the ways your little shroomies grow is through transpiration - a higher internal concentration of water/water vapor in relation to the external concentration of water vapor has a sort of vacuum effect, fostering sizable growth.

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #1035927 - 11/08/02 11:31 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

whats your light source?

--------------------
What?

OfflineElvis25
Swell Lover
Loc: ripping off Conan O'Brien
    #1036660 - 11/08/02 02:46 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the advice.
Light isnt the prob, I have a small florescent light on almost 16 hrs a day.
I have basically lifted the front left corner of the lid up abuot an inch. my fears my be unwarranted though as the mushies have grown signifacantly bigger in the last six hrs. still thanks for the help.

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #1036732 - 11/08/02 03:02 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

well i was reading a post or something and they said shrooms more in the dark will grow taller and those morei n the light will grow flatter fatter which matched your discription. i thought maybe the entrance of light into your terranium might have cause what had happened. but that was just my question explained. dont know if that helps anymore but that was jsut what i had been reading.

:laugh:

--------------------
What?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag