Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
the one theydon't see

the old cobweb myc question
    #1032902 - 11/07/02 04:25 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I know there are like a million post about cob-web mold. Is the basic gist of it... just wait it out and see what happens or are there any signs that would just tell you. Also I have read alot about smell-tests. Do people open the jars to do this? Won't that invite unwanted contams in? Or is the mushroom smell and the ever dreaded contam smell so potent it can be smelled through the jar or peeling the tape off one of the holes?

Everything written above this line is completely false. I am terribly bored and write here to pass time. I do not participate or support any illegal activity.

Edited by thisone (11/07/02 05:13 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
old hand

Loc: in your house :)
Re: the old cobweb myc question [Re: thisone]
    #1035149 - 11/08/02 07:20 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

peel tape for sniffs and then if its cobweb its gonna move fast thru your substr8 and then it'll look grey and whispy and not white like mycellium.

Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: the old cobweb myc question [Re: thisone]
    #1036889 - 11/08/02 05:42 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Cobweb mold is darker than mycelium... almost grey as compared to white. The difference in color is sometimes hard to tell for somebody that hasn't seen them side by side before. Cobweb has several other indicators... the one that sticks out is the speed that it grows... a small patch the size of a dime will spread to cover an entire jar/casing in just a day or two. Cobweb is also very very fine strands, while mycelium tends to be thicker ropes. Many times cobweb will have specks of black "inside" of the strands as well, but not always.

Regarding smells, I do not advocate smelling the jars to test for contamination. If you have something like Bacillus or a Yeast, the smell will be noticable in the incubator or terrarium without having to open anything up (jars/tape). Sticking your nose in a jar and taking a snort is asking for serious health problems.

When you birth a healthy, fully colonized cake that has no apparent contamination, it should have a clean earthy mushroomy aroma.

Just another spore in the wind.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum