Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Opium Poppy Questions and Plan
    #10003337 -

Blah Blah SWIM wanted me to post this "I'm gonna apologize this might end up being a lengthy post so this is the disclaimer before you start reading.

Just a little background:

Anyways I just recently set out to grow mushrooms, I started for all the wrong reasons but in the process I found a hobby I'm starting to enjoy.  I planned on making money but after I got my expenses back I just really enjoyed sharing them with my friends at that point I just started trading them or giving them to people who wanted to eat them with me.

My mushrooms came and went and now I dont really want to grow them anymore cause too many people know, I got people wanting me to teach them, but they seem to have bad intentions and not willing to put the research into it I did.  I might grow my own and close friend personal supply later in the summer but for now Im done with that.  But Im interested in trying some new things for fun.

However my predicament is I'm currently a college student and at school I have no means by which I can start a garden of any sorts.  And at home I don't know how well the idea would go over with my dad considering I live in town houses.  I mean I want to start a legitimate garden as well, but right now I am not able to.

Reading in these forums the poppy plant interested me, not only is it a beautiful plant but the idea of making that opium tea is really intriguing.  My plan is to try to grow only a few plants in some heavily wooded area near me, enough for a couple personal doses or maybe to share with a special lady friend for a day =p.  I have a lot of questions on whether its even feasible at the point now.

Now my garden skills are currently limited and the knowledge here is somewhat spread and difficult to find specifics. I read the Giant Opium thread for an hour or two but couldn't find all my questions.  For starters I dont know if my climate could even support it.  I live in the Delaware area and right now its early spring, its still cool.  If this climate is suitable for the opium poppy is it too late to plant?  In addition I have a wooded area in mind, but the dirt seems a bit clayish, if this spot is not suitable what should ideal soil conditions should I search for?  Also how many seeds should be enough?  I have no idea what the germination rate is in the wild, I only want a few plants for a few personal doses, I dont want to throw 1000's of seeds and make it obvious whats going on.

Also what do you suppose the risk factors are involved and precautions I should take?

And please dont respond with just use the search, if you know of a thread that contains an answer to my specific question point me to it and I'll happily read it.

Im starting to get into this hobby, so much so I'm thinking of taking some  more chem and bio classes at my school.  I am just soaking up everything I can so any responses and help appreciated, and thanks to whoever read the whole thing :P"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Opium Poppy Questions and Plan [Re: Gahr]
    #10003549 -

It's not too early. Just prepare a spot in full sun.Remove all weeds,till up a spot with half decent topsoil,throw your seeds in (cut seeds pretty well with sand prior to this),then cover your seeds lightly with straw.Remember to leave little lanes in your garden so you can get in there and view your flowers up close.

The wooded location will suck. Hardly anything will germinate and if some do, they won't have enough light plus to boot planting them in clay ain't so good.

Not much of a risk because you are just planting for ornamental purposes, right?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Opium Poppy Questions and Plan [Re: DannyGlick]
    #10003575 -

Ornamental or not taking responsibility for the garden is a felony.


--------------------
:hanky:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Opium Poppy Questions and Plan [Re: DannyGlick]
    #10003672 -

Danny I cant do that at my house, but could I possibly say dig a tiny 2 foot by 2 area out in the woods, de weed everything and put some nice soil in there without making it look conspicuous?  Im seriously just trying to grow a plant or two, and how much seeds would Be practical for that?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Opium Poppy Questions and Plan [Re: Gahr]
    #10003701 -

And Amber the area is just like a common set of woods of the road, its not my land. Best case scenario Im only there once to set it up, then take a hike up a week or so to see how its doing.  Whats the odds even if the plant was spotted it'd look out of the ordinary or would even bother looking for who put it there.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Opium Poppy Questions and Plan [Re: Prof. Astro]
    #10003735 -

Quote:
Ornamental or not taking responsibility for the garden is a felony.



Not sure I understand.

So growing them is illegal? Why can you buy the seeds in the gardening section of american gardening centers everywhere?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Opium Poppy Questions and Plan [Re: DannyGlick]
    #10003744 -

Those are California poppies, they contain no opium.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opium_poppy#Legality

Wikipedia is not credible sometimes, but in this case it is.


--------------------
:hanky:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Opium Poppy Questions and Plan [Re: Prof. Astro]
    #10003768 -

Hen and chicks are not california poppies dude.Neither are peonies and you can cruise on down to lowes or wal mart and buy them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Opium Poppy Questions and Plan [Re: Gahr]
    #10003836 -

The woods will be too dark unless you have a flat freshly clearcut area that gets alot of sun.

You could get in a lot of shit for growing on other people's property if you're caught there.Suspicion of what you were doing would be great.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Opium Poppy Questions and Plan [Re: DannyGlick]
    #10003867 -

I've never seen hen or any other strain available in stores, unless you are in another country. You can purchase McCormick, that's all I have ever seen.


--------------------
:hanky:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Opium Poppy Questions and Plan [Re: DannyGlick]
    #10003875 -

DannyGlick said:
Hen and chicks are not california poppies dude.Neither are peonies and you can cruise on down to lowes or wal mart and buy them.




lol i got 2 pack of hens and chicks for like a buc a pack at walmart last year and the pic on the front didnt even show the flower it just showed the pods, and it said right on the front "dry pods for floral arangements

Burpree brand i think


edit: ps, this was in the US lol


--------------------


Edited by myCo_psyCo (03/19/09 08:02 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Opium Poppy Questions and Plan [Re: Prof. Astro]
    #10003949 -

Yeah I had to chuckle when I seen this everyday low price.


Edited by DannyGlick (03/19/09 08:14 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Opium Poppy Questions and Plan [Re: DannyGlick]
    #10004064 -

YEAHHH!

they have a really high germination rate, but i never got to see em past seedlings as the sun toasted ALL of them last year. im tryen again this year with a shade cloth


--------------------


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Opium Poppy Questions and Plan [Re: myCo_psyCo]
    #10004089 -

Hope you have better luck this year.

They're beautiful flowers. They get pretty dang big too.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Opium Poppy Questions and Plan [Re: Gahr]
    #10005850 -

Whats a trusted site to buy seeds from in the United States?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Opium Poppy Questions and Plan [Re: Gahr]
    #10006815 -

dude, get them at the grocery store.

also, everyone in this thread must remember that VERY FEW people know what opium lettuce looks like and pods from afar are unlikely to be identified.


--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Opium Poppy Questions and Plan [Re: TODAY]
    #10007870 -

I've never seen hens and chicks available at any store in Fl, oh well.


--------------------
:hanky:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Poppy Question... angryshroom 3,076 17 09/27/04 08:44 PM
by Psilostylin
* Good idea for growing some Opium Poppy!!
( 1 2 3 all )
orizon 17,097 55 06/29/16 08:33 PM
by Burke Dennings
* Is oriental poppie an opium poppie strain ? Anonymous 3,954 17 07/07/10 06:11 AM
by Fleadh
* extracting the opium from dried opium poppies. smokable? du_Rag_scotland 10,831 7 04/28/03 05:31 PM
by Bob_J
* opium poppy mellojello 1,401 2 08/05/02 12:46 PM
by shaganoz
* opium poppy seeds incandescently 2,504 1 10/17/01 04:16 PM
by JeeLiX
* Extracting smokeable stuff from dried opium poppies shaganoz 19,118 13 10/01/23 10:23 AM
by Mystikal
* Poppy Question. AJ420 1,244 6 08/05/02 06:05 PM
by mrMagik

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: karode13, Mostly_Harmless, A.k.a
2,887 topic views. 1 members, 31 guests and 17 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.026 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.