Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!
So, on my way home from work, I take a different route and go through a park where I discover several mature shaggy parasols fruting amid a thick mat of material a nearby tree has been shedding (not leaves exactly). I check Mushrooms Demystified as well as several other guides and the keys match pretty well (although these specimens do not bruise so readily). So, before I try cooking up a little bit to see if I like it/get any "allergic reaction," I decide to take a spore print to make sure that the spores are not green (a look alike species that is poisonous has green spores). I carefully remove one of the younger (yet still fully developed) mushroom's caps and print it on to orange paper. After several hours, I see nothing. I transfer it to black paper, and put a tea cup over it overnight. I took a peak today, and still there is nothing.
My question is, is there a way to induce release of spores? My specimens are not quite dry yet, so I don't think they are too old. Is it possible they are sterile? I'm going to try another cap tonight, but I was hoping to not have to cannibalize all of them so I could share some photos with everybody of what appear to be textbook Lepiota Rachodes...(I won't have a digi-cam until tomorrow evening).
Try putting a drop of water on the cap, then covering it with a bowl over night, that should rehydrate them and make them drop spores. You may also want to print them on foil or glass, so you can be sure of the color.