Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Doing this as a career
    #9106724 -

Hello, i was reading this, and began thinking about things. How would i go about studying psychedelics/entheogens for a living? I mean, they dont really offer classes like that in college. I know there is an ethnobotany program in Hawaii, but im not going all the way there. What is the best route to pursue something like this? I am extremely interested in the effects of plants on the mind, and i have no idea what i want to do with my life. This seems like it would be for me

http://www.alternet.org/drugreporter/103379/sacred_intentions%3A_inside_the_johns_hopkins_psilocybin_studies/?page=1

Edited by Right_Away (10/20/08 09:39 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Doing this as a career [Re: Right_Away]
    #9106736 -

Start reading bout herbs and healing.  These plants and substances will fit like a key.  though illegal you can help people.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Doing this as a career [Re: Legoulash]
    #9106743 -

We all want this sort of job.
If you can pull it off, you'd be the envy of more people on this forum (me included).

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Doing this as a career [Re: Angel_Above]
    #9106998 -

Start a church.
You can get around so many laws... Why do you think Hubbard started Scientology? He didn't want to pay taxes and he probably liked drugs.


Sounds silly but it's true!


--------------------
Imagine if you needed it and it wasn't there... GIVE BLOOD
Get a free (PAINLESS) bone marrow testing kit and help save lives HERE.
Jesus if you're reading this, please come back already. We need you now more than ever!
The U.S. Constitution!

Best WBS Tek
EZ Potato-Honey Agar Tek
MY TRADES

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Doing this as a career [Re: mushroomhunter10]
    #9107050 -


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Doing this as a career [Re: Nihlus]
    #9107339 -

I have been to the MAPS site before, but i never saw that section. Thanks. Pretty interesting

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Doing this as a career [Re: Right_Away]
    #9107428 -

Become a chemist?


--------------------
We do not know what we want and yet we are responsible for what we are - that is the fact.
Jean-Paul Sartre

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Doing this as a career [Re: polantis]
    #9107542 -

Don't do drugs for two years before you decide to invest your life in drugs. If you are still interested in drugs, go for it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Doing this as a career [Re: Legoulash]
    #9107635 -

Rah said:
Start reading bout herbs and healing.  These plants and substances will fit like a key.  though illegal you can help people.



I do not believe that there is any reason to think that we know enough to use psychedelics as healing tools.  I do believe that psychedelics have the potential to be used beneficially, but I don't believe that anyone has really figured out how to apply them beneficially.

If the OP wants to study psychedelics, then he should look into pharmacology, psychology, chemistry, neuropharmacology, etc.  Though research on psychedelics is limited, it's not completely absent.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Doing this as a career [Re: Right_Away]
    #9107639 -

A lot of "governments" under the iron fisting of the US don't "need" research on psychedelics any more, they just don't care. What's done is done. A complete revolution needs to happen before they change their minds.


So good luck

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Doing this as a career [Re: indica]
    #9107660 -

Actually, things are getting better. Post-'69 America was so scared of psychedelics the mere mention of acid would get you locked up. Now I read more and more about oversees psychiatrist pushing for psychedelic research. I think things will only get better.

Unless we have another baby boom and all the youngens re-discover shrooms. That will get research re-banned for sure.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Doing this as a career [Re: gooddrugguy]
    #9107666 -

at my college theres a class called drugs and health
its pretty much the shroomery in a class


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Doing this as a career [Re: gooddrugguy]
    #9107805 -

Albert Hofmann was doing a lot in the autumn years of his life, and I think Switzerland may have just allowed LSD research to be limitedly allowed in psychiatric research, I could be wrong, but I seem to remember reading something somewhere about it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Doing this as a career [Re: indica]
    #9107844 -

Finding a career in psychedellics is mostly about being in the right place at the right time.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Doing this as a career [Re: MisterMuscaria]
    #9107893 -

Like eating acid every day and injecting shroom spores into your eyeballs when some professor walks past you while you're smashing your face into the footpath and says "Hey! You look like someone who likes to take dr00gz! Would you mind if I locked you in a padded cell for 6 months and monitored your behaviour and brain activity? All in the name of science? I'll pay you in grey poupons and canteen rations at the psych ward!"

then you like, fucking win life.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Doing this as a career [Re: Right_Away]
    #9108515 -

science -> medicine -> psychiatry -> you are there!


--------------------
:brainfart: _ :finger:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Doing this as a career [Re: redgreenvines]
    #9108528 -

Most people start down this road with good intentions then realize that to do proper research takes:  4 years of undergraduate college with stellar grades, another 5 or so of graduate work, and another 3 or so in a post-doc.

After contemplating 12+ years of intense study, people decide they'd just rather get high.


--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Doing this as a career [Re: Right_Away]
    #9108622 -

my best friend growing up used to be a big member on this board but i dont think he's been on in awhile.  anyway, when time came for college we both we as biochemistry majors.  after 2 years the lash of alcoholism took me down and i wound up dropping for a couple years.  anyway, he completed and got hsi degree.  now he's over in the netherlands going for his PhD.  he works in a lab extracting cannibinoids from marijuana to be tested for medical uses.  thats somewhere along the lines of what youre looking for


--------------------
I am not stoned.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Doing this as a career [Re: Right_Away]
    #9859725 -

I'm just a little bit lost, to be shure in really what field I want to go.

Transpersonal psychology ? Ethnobotany ? Biochemist ? Ethnopharmacology ? Anthropology

I don't know.

It all seem fascinating for me. I never finished high school when I was young so it all seem complicated for me right now. But I have the passion for psychedelics and the nervous system and the universe and shamanism.

Anyone here study something in theses fields or related ?

Help and information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks


--------------------
In the province of the mind, there are no limits

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Doing this as a career [Re: Right_Away]
    #9860119 -

Right_Away said:
Hello, i was reading this, and began thinking about things. How would i go about studying psychedelics/entheogens for a living? I mean, they dont really offer classes like that in college. I know there is an ethnobotany program in Hawaii, but im not going all the way there. What is the best route to pursue something like this? I am extremely interested in the effects of plants on the mind, and i have no idea what i want to do with my life. This seems like it would be for me

http://www.alternet.org/drugreporter/103379/sacred_intentions%3A_inside_the_johns_hopkins_psilocybin_studies/?page=1



If you want to do REAL research and work with REAL chemicals you need much more schooling than just a BA or BS...LOL.

You would need a theoretical or applied science degree. Preferably chemistry but I am sure biochemistry or maybe even biology would work just fine. Free here you could do a PHD in something such as neuropharmacology. Depending on you grades you would probably have to get a MS before getting into a PHD program, but many of people do it.

You could also go pre-med/science(including physics) and get a MD, and then from there to a specific study when you finish your residency. You could also do a joint PHD/MD program where you would always be able to practice, but you would most likely doing lab/research.


Basically, if you want to make a career out of this where your going to do real studies with actual drugs and not just unscheduled ethobotanicals your going to have to go to graduate school. The US is so fucked up when it comes to allowing people to study certain drugs that only the most "qualified" have access to them (IE: John Hopkins psilocybin study).

Good luck. Hope I can shed some light on the situation and I can help you understand that because of the situation government has put us in, there are very few careers involving psychedelics/schedule I drugs unless you DEVOTE your life to it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Anyone in psychology as career/studies? OMniversal 1,987 18 02/23/09 01:02 PM
by MadSeason
* Job/career/life dedicated to psychedelics
( 1 2 3 all )
flyskimmah 3,502 42 06/14/17 06:07 AM
by TempestDnB
* Looking for some ethnobotanicals to use, what do people suggest? agoutihead 1,129 19 11/30/15 04:57 AM
by Dr. Delban
* Benefits of Psychedelic's and ethnobotanicals for true awarness/My Intro SoapsGoinOnAtriP 498 7 07/20/11 04:07 AM
by SoapsGoinOnAtriP
* Ethnobotanicals Anonymous 667 1 10/27/02 08:10 PM
by cxz
* Over 4GB of Ethnobotanical Documentaries
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Xenophobic 8,682 68 08/09/06 05:22 PM
by palmersc
* Ethnobotanical Documentary Movies
( 1 2 all )
Xenophobic 3,494 25 12/05/05 08:27 PM
by World Spirit
* A Message from Maya Ethnobotanicals gornyhuy 1,790 4 12/21/11 04:47 PM
by joemolloy

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: psilocybinjunkie, Asante, Rose, mushboy, LogicaL Chaos, Northerner, bodhisatta
2,084 topic views. 3 members, 13 guests and 106 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.03 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 18 queries.