Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineresin
Ghetto Monster
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ca$hville
Millet or Birdseed?
    #978360 - 10/21/02 12:34 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Ok Im fixing to start doing grain. I have to order some filterdisks and some plastic lids from online so I was wondering should I order some millet or go to the store and get some birdseed. Which is better millet or birdseed containing millet? If birdseed is a better choice what kind should I get? Do you think millet is a better choice for a newb over rye? Thanks

Edited by resin (10/21/02 12:35 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineellisdee625
enthusiast
Re: Millet or Birdseed? [Re: resin]
    #978401 - 10/21/02 12:55 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

go to kroger and get wild finch seed. i pull out the sunflower seeds. some dont.

--------------------
Have a smurfy day!!!

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

#978431 - 10/21/02 01:04 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I would go for straight millet. However I find rye grain easier to work with.

Offlineresin
Ghetto Monster
Male User Gallery

Re: Millet or Birdseed? [Re: zeta]
    #978440 - 10/21/02 01:08 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Well ive heard some say that rye is too hard to get the water levels just right so I figured millet would be better. In what ways is rye easier to work with? Which will colonize faster?

Edited by resin (10/21/02 01:09 AM)

Invisiblematts
matts

[Re: resin]
    #978450 - 10/21/02 01:13 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Offlineresin
Ghetto Monster
Male User Gallery

Re: Millet or Birdseed? [Re: matts]
    #978457 - 10/21/02 01:20 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Well I geuss I will try both and do tests as to how much water is the most efficent and which of the 2 best suits me. I think im growing hawian this time as it seems to be liked by quite a few and I enjoy the hawian trip.

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
    #978458 - 10/21/02 01:20 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Pennington Wild Bird seed is what i use. I buy big bags of it at wall mart for $2. I just take out all the sunflower seeds. I tried the finch seed but got an amazing 100% contamination rate as compared to about 5% with the wild bird seed (they were prepared the same way and the same syringes used). Birdseed is mostly millet anyway and it is easy to obtain. I highly recomend it.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
    #978502 - 10/21/02 01:49 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

WBS Tek (Wild Bird Seed) Bulk Spawn Preparation Method.

WBS consists primarily of white millet. It is often a combination of white & red millet - with a small percentage of sunflower seeds and sometimes tiny amounts of crushed corn. Some expensive brands are coated with a fungicide. For use as spawn material, treated WBS is not advisable.

You can find untreated WBS in 5 -10 & 20 pound bags, at low prices at most large chain grocery stores, or chain type pet supply stores. For instance, PetsMart has 40 pound bags for around $9.

Simply place whatever quantity you intend to use in a plastic pot, tub or bucket. Bear in mind, dry seed will expand about 20 to 25% - after it absorbs its capacity of water. Add tap water & soak the seed overnight. A 8 to 12 hour soak is fine. Seed soaked longer will begin to ferment. But, is still usable after soaking 24 to 36 hours.

There is no need to remove any floating husks, or sunflower seeds. These add lignin ( a good thing) & do not harbor any more possible contams than does the millet. It is all going to get thoroughly sterilized - anyway.

Once soaked, simply rinse the seed very thoroughly in a colander, or strainer. Then allow it to drain - WELL. As in 30 or more minutes. If it is drips - one drop. It is not drained - WELL.

Load pint or quart jars ? full, apply internal filter disk, material, polyfil or whatever method you use allow gas exchange through a ? or 3/8 inch hole in the lid. Screw lid on tight & back it off ? turn. Place a double layer of paper coffee filters over the lid & jar top, held down by a thick rubber band. Place the jars in the PC.

PC at 15 pounds for a full 60 minutes. 90 minutes is better, if you have the time. Allow the PC pressure to drop to zero & let it cool a bit. Open while still hot & remove jars. The paper coffee filters will dry almost instantly, when the PC is opened. Tighten lids (if necessary), shake jars to insure there are no clumps of seed inside. Place jars inside the oven on a rack, to cool, overnight. External coffee filters simply add another layer of protection to the jars content.

Once cooled to room temperature, store in a clean cardboard box - until used. Using them sooner than later is preferable.

Note: This method was done in an All American PC. Some brands with a weighted pressure system require more internal water & it may be advisable to also cover the coffee filters with tin foil- while PC'ing, so no excess boiling water gains entry into the jars. Simply remove the tinfoil when you remove the jars from the PC.

Note: The object of leaving the lids a 1/4 turn loose, is that if you tighten them too tight & PC. Sometimes, they are very - very hard to unscrew easily - later.  :mad:

6T  :tongue: 

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
Re: Millet or Birdseed? [Re: SixTango]
    #978507 - 10/21/02 01:53 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

6T, I hope you have the WBT on file, cause you post that at least three times a day. If the coon has to type that out everytime, its a wonder how his little paws don't have carpal tunnel syndrome. Oh yeah, BTW, this tek is working right now for me. Four quart jars were prepared using this Tek, one is flying, two are a little slower, and one is sleeping.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
    #978510 - 10/21/02 01:57 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I would like to post another preparation option when working with wild birdseed as recommended by SixTango. I also use a wild birdseed mix, and it works quite well. The only difference in the way I prepare it is instead of soaking, I simmer the seed for roughly 30 minutes, rinse, and then strain. When PC'ing and cooling the jars, I use foil to cover my polyfill lids instead of coffee filters. The rest of the process is for the most part the same.

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
Re: Millet or Birdseed? [Re: mickey_rourke]
    #978517 - 10/21/02 02:05 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Call me old fashioned, or retarded, but what steps exactly do you take to simmer, you must forgive me for I skipped that day of home ec.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
Re: Millet or Birdseed? [Re: Skikid16]
    #978519 - 10/21/02 02:06 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

LOL,

Yup, the other day................. the stupid computer idiot raccoon finaly figured out on his system that, if you right click, you can cut & paste here. duhhhhhhhhhh.

So many times, I see peaple ask -- millet or bird seed?  When they are about the same thing.

So, I now keep this on file, which points that factor out, where WBS can be found - cheap & how to do it.

Yup, sometimes, some jars are a little slower than others. I believe that is due to the spore solution in syringes. Spores clump. Even if you shake the SOB until your arn hurts. They still clump. So, some jars get more spores than others & sometimes take off quicker.

Shake jars once at aboout 10 or 15% colonization. No need for further shaking.
Shaking batter the myc & it take a day or 3 for it to recover & start growing again. Which, can actualy slow colonization down, rather than speed it up.
:grin:

6T  :tongue:

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
Re: Millet or Birdseed? [Re: Skikid16]
    #978521 - 10/21/02 02:07 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

In reply to:

Call me old fashioned, or retarded, but what steps exactly do you take to simmer, you must forgive me for I skipped that day of home ec.

To simmer is to cook at a temperature just below the boiling point.

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation