Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejahfeelirie
meatwad

Close to birthing... some dunk ques...
    #976660 - 10/20/02 09:41 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Hey,

I am about a week or less from birthing a few cakes. I have a question about dunking... well, i really have a few questions for you.

Firstly, i have 5 pf cakes that are almost ready to birth, however, i dont see any pins or hyphal knots yet. How much longer after full colonization do i wait for these signs... is it a week or so like i have read? i believe that i also read somewhere that, in order to initiate pinning before birth, you should expose your cake to indirect light for a day or so... or maybe it was shorter than that. What is the correct procedure for that? By indirect light, do i assume that i can set the cakes on my desk and let the curtains open a bit to let in some sunlight in teh room? and for how long?

Next, I want to dunk my cakes after birth, however this tek scares me. Im sure it works and has been used over and over... but putting a beatiful white cake and submerging it in the fridge overnight makes me nervous. Should i even worry about dunking? will this increase my fruiting definitely?

I just wanna be safe and not lose over a months work, as i had to ressurect these cakes after a period of inactivity.

thx for your help!
jfi

--------------------
my signature is too long

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinetrancefishy
ambiguity

Loc: under the stars
Re: Close to birthing... some dunk ques... [Re: jahfeelirie]
    #976675 - 10/20/02 09:51 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

that's funny, you are in the same exact position as me. i have 4 pf cakes i am going to birth in about a week (with 6 more in earlier colonization) and i'm scared to dunk. i am birthing the first one norallly, and i am going to dunk the 2nd one i birth. then i will dunk the 2nd flush from those or whatever, see how that works. i just want the very very first one to flush normally so that i can eat mushies quicker.... i would rather use that 12 hours in teh fridge as time to expose to light, high humidity, and lower temperatures

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #976684 - 10/20/02 09:56 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

In reply to:

to initiate pinning before birth, you should expose your cake to indirect light for a day or so... or maybe it was shorter than that. What is the correct procedure for that?

As my cakes near full colonization I put them on a shelf in normal room lighting, invert them and remove the tape. Pins follow in several days.
In reply to:

Should i even worry about dunking? will this increase my fruiting definitely?

Dunking always increases my yield significantly.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

OfflineJOptionPane
I AM THE WARCHIEF
Re: Close to birthing... some dunk ques... [Re: dog]
    #976738 - 10/20/02 10:18 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Dunking is the way to go my friend said he would dunk one them and just put one in without dunking and case one without dunking and then dunk one and case it. And see what you like. My friend cases them all so he doesn?t have to worry about them drying out as fast. You most likely will end up liking casing as you will generally get more fruit that way but not all ways.

--------------------
I do not currently cultivate any mushrooms. Nor have I cultivated any mushrooms in the past. Nor will I cultivate any mushrooms in the near or distant future.

InvisibleArmFromTheAbyss
Old Hand

Loc: Down here in Babylon
    #976798 - 10/20/02 10:48 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

For your first time, I would suggest that you dunk one after birth. They'll be fine in the fridge, just make sure it's not on a really cold setting. This stops contams and also gives it a cold shock to start pinning. This way if you mess up, only one cake will be lost. If it works which it most likely will, you can dunk the others after the first flush and so on. Make sure to use bottled water straight from the bottle.

--------------------

Offlinejahfeelirie
meatwad

Re: Close to birthing... some dunk ques... [Re: ArmFromTheAbyss]
    #977206 - 10/20/02 01:58 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

thx for all your advice, im going to put the ones that are close to colonization out in my room tomorrow.... and pick one out to dunk after birthing.

thx alot!
jfi

--------------------
my signature is too long

Offlinehyper_dermic
stranger withcandy

Loc: the land of excess
    #977742 - 10/20/02 06:43 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Dont worry about produceing pins before birthing....
this was my 1st grow as well, and i dunked ALL my cakes...
i just cleaned out their jars, filled about 1/4 with water, and placed the cakes back inside and closed the tops... toss em in the fridge for 12 hours, then take out, pat down with a paper towel, and put in fruiting chamber...
after a few days fuzzy white growth appears, then a few days after that little tiny bumps appear (knots) then not long after that the cakes FUCKIN EXPLODED with pins.....
dunking is DEFINATLY the way to go.....
i wish i had my digicam running i could show you how happy my cakes are after dunking....

[hyp]

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
    #977779 - 10/20/02 06:59 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

first off, nice avatar, do you surf?

Second, dunk and cold shock. You can't really screw it up, and it can only help, so why not? Leave one "un-dunked" so you can see the difference. Good Luck.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Invisiblemdog
Md?g
Re: Close to birthing... some dunk ques... *DELETED* [Re: Skikid16]
    #977796 - 10/20/02 07:02 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Post deleted by mdog

--------------------
-Md?g

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
Re: Close to birthing... some dunk ques... [Re: mdog]
    #977806 - 10/20/02 07:08 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I never have, I don't think it would hurt all that much, but the purpose of dunking is to rehydrate your cakes, if you are casing, then the casing layer will provide your mycelium with moisture.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix