Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Peat, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblevildechayea
shodan

manure/verm casing experiment
    #971835 - 10/18/02 10:12 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Hi all! Cased a couple cakes using 60-40 verm/cow manure (dry store-bought in plastic bag). Loosely crumbled cakes into a roughly 1-1 1/2 " layer over plain verm, then filled in gaps between with the verm/manure mixture, laying another 1/2" on top, followed by a dusting of dry verm on top. In a way I'm trying to extend the cakes by giving them a somewhat nutritive surrounding, almost like bulk substrate. So far growth is good albeit somewhat slow, with white threads beginning to take over the top surface. A better way might be to lay down a verm/manure & cake layer, then cover with verm/peat+ to keep things fluffier on top?

I guess what I'm doing is a hybrid between simple casing and spawning. I mean I think the increased yield of casing is due, theoretically, to more cake surface exposed to more moisture, not to any nutritive value in the verm or coco or peat etc. So maybe it pays to just spawn & case.

Sorry for the rambling. I have access to stuff like packaged manure & worm castings & crab shells etc and I'm always thinking, "hey, can I throw this into my casing?". All opinions welcome.

Peace!

v

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePyrobull33
EnlightenedShroomer
Loc: Ohio
Re: manure/verm casing experiment [Re: vildechayea]
    #971919 - 10/18/02 11:19 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Hey Vild, I'm planning a similar project with my 12 PF jars. I bought a 40 pound bag of cow manure compost(w/ humus) and a expensive bag of earthworm casing(1 liter). My plan is to use pavolon poo tek with the manure and earthworm casing, and have a spawn/substrate level of 1:3. I was conteplating adding verm to this mix, it would definitely hold more moisture, and also a 50/50 plus to the top after all has colonized.

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
Re: manure/verm casing experiment [Re: Pyrobull33]
    #971932 - 10/18/02 11:30 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Definetlly add verm to worm castings , they have a tendency to pack down alot , due to how fine they are , so fluff up that worm poop , Hell Hound mixes at 3:1 ratio .
Good Luck :cool: 

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Peat, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation