Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDancing Iceman
Chronic Smoker
Loc: WA
First PF Tek
    #965597 - 10/16/02 12:12 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Hello everyone.  This is my first post, but I have a quick question regarding my first attempt at a PF-Tek grow.  I prepared my jars over the weekend, and my spore syringe just arrived today.  Its contents were 12cc's of the Treasure Coast strain.  I inoculated 12 jars, using .25cc's of solution for each hole I made in the jars.  My question is: there seems to be lots of differences in the FAQ here and on other sites.  The temperature of the room I am keeping them in is 70F, so this should be fine, correct?  My other question is about light.  Right now the jars are in a milky plastic container and are all (the ones in the front more than the back) constantly exposed to indirect sunlight through a curtain.  On the PF-Tek site it says that leaving them exposed to indirect sunlight is fine, but on the FAQ here it says they should be in a dark, warm place.  I could put them inside a sweatshirt or something, or should I keep them in some light?  Also, at night it will not be uncommon for an overhead fluorescent light to be illuminating the container.  Right now the container is approx 3 feet above the ground on a small end table.  I could move it within range of the heater where the temperature is noticeably warmer, but it would have to be on the tile floor, so which of my two options are best?

Much thanks in advance, and I hope to become a serious cultivator that can answer these simple questions one day :grin:

Edited by Dancing Iceman (10/16/02 12:15 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineDERRAYLD
Constructus

Loc: South Africa
Re: First PF Tek [Re: Dancing Iceman]
    #965608 - 10/16/02 12:17 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

put the container under your bed in the dark.
It`s deffinatelly your best bet.

--------------------
Derrayld and out of control

InvisibleBilge
longtimenoC

Loc: USA
    #965609 - 10/16/02 12:17 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

incubating jars should be kept dark and warm (80 to 85 degrees) for fastest colonization. the preferred incubation heating methods avoid direct heating, using heating via warm water instead. direct heat tends to dry the jars. at 70 degrees your jars will probably still work but it will be much slower and therefore more succeptible to contaminations. my friend incubates inside a styrofoam cooler with a jar of water in which an aquarium heater is placed. it is dark, warm (85 degrees) and the heated water keeps it from getting too dry. this is a common method.

--------------------
Shopping for your head? Visit HeadShopFinder.com or find Online Head Shops.

OfflineDancing Iceman
Chronic Smoker
Loc: WA
Re: First PF Tek [Re: Bilge]
    #965615 - 10/16/02 12:21 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

That sounds like a good idea.  I will be looking for an aquarium heater today :smile:.  Hoping they're cheap... 

InvisibleBilge
longtimenoC

Loc: USA
    #965655 - 10/16/02 12:39 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

like $10 at kmart/walmart. add some peroxide to the water to help prevent contams growing in the water.

--------------------
Shopping for your head? Visit HeadShopFinder.com or find Online Head Shops.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation