Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |  [ show all ]
Re: Tiger Skin and Meat For Sale! [Re: plonkerism]
    #9605607 -

plonkerism said:
....and reached the conclusion that if you start commercialising the idea of saving species, then only the species that ensure the most profit will survive.



I don't see how this necessarily concludes, especially as one considers the role centralized governments can and would play in effective regulation of animal populations, just the same as Departments of Natural Resources in the United States do to ensure a healthy deer population, or this kind of fish, or etc.

The beautiful thing about nature is how complex, interdependent networks known as ecosystems are required to support just one species. Thus, protecting an endangered species tends to go hand-in-hand with protecting their habitat, which in turn protects thousands of species. The reason these problems still exist with animal species like tigers and red pandas is due to their location in Asia, where effective regulation has not always been occurring (if it even is now successfully enough), and also how inbred both species have become, bringing issues like high birth mortality rate to bear...

Most of the conservation efforts in the United States though, an example I know more about personally, be it deer, turkeys, ducks, goose, or etc., are only possible to be funded to the effective degree to which they are due to the interest of hunters and anglers who, not only are willing to pay money to have the opportunity to harvest them, but also tend to have a conservation mindset regarding these matters.

Quote:
Evolution was not based on profits, but survival



As evolution is based upon the principle of adaptation to survive, it only makes sense how profit is simply a manifestation of this. Profit is an abstract concept that has developed as our civilizations have advanced through the specialization of tasks, due to the means providing for specialization of tasks - agriculture, and profit is simply representing the idea of a person's efforts in hunting or gathering yielding a gain that allows them to survive further.

If you did not profit, in some form or another, would you continue to survive? :sherlock:

Quote:
hence saving some species for economic means will just fuck the environments butt even more. :shrug:



We're not talking about saving some species for economic means, but rather employing economic means to save species. That's the fundamental difference, and it has been demonstrated to work quite fine (ever hit a deer in a car before? :grin:). :wink:


--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Tiger Skin and Meat For Sale! [Re: fireworks_god]
    #9619069 -

Wouldnt only some species be suitable to use for profit? Like tigers for their skin and meat etc. I see mostly mammals and fish being the ones targeted by this as they have the most money to be made from their meat, oils, fur, all that type of shit. There is not a lot of profit in ants, or beetles, cockroaches etc, so these types of things would fail. I see the benefit in using the scheme to save some things but it would not preserve everything needed to have a sustainable enviroment.

My suggestion is that, if the planets wildlife is all supported by delicate ecosystems, then wouldnt supporting only some of the species within the ecosystems mean that the ecosystem will inevitably fail? Thus meaning some species would become extint for the benefit of a few others (which in turn happen to be species that benefit us in some way). Wouldnt it eventually start speeding up the process of extinction for many species?

im tripping


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Tiger Skin and Meat For Sale! [Re: plonkerism]
    #9619074 -

and also i would survive without profit

ive watched heaps of survivorman

im an expert on that shit


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Tiger Skin and Meat For Sale! [Re: plonkerism]
    #9619353 -

Good point. However, I would like to point out that cockroaches, ants, beetles and (most notably) rodents won't ever go extinct. Small scavenger animals like that can survive practically anything. They'll be around long after we're dead, even if we trash most of the ecosystem in the process.

In fact, if we continue on our current path, in a few hundred years the largest wild animal will probably be the rat. Future humans will look back on our current time as the 'age of megafauna', when animals the size of dogs (or larger!) could be found in the wild.


--------------------
I know... that just the smallest
                                                part of the world belongs to me
You know... I'm not a blind man
                                                    but truth is the hardest thing to see

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Tiger Skin and Meat For Sale! [Re: zouden]
    #9619375 -

Yeah you are right.

If you look at it from the point of view that things are going to disappear anyway, then yeah, saving them by whatever means is reasonable. But if you view it in the hope of preserving what is already there, then this idea fails super hard.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Tiger Skin and Meat For Sale! [Re: fireworks_god]
    #9619406 -

Quote:
s evolution is based upon the principle of adaptation to survive, it only makes sense how profit is simply a manifestation of this. Profit is an abstract concept that has developed as our civilizations have advanced through the specialization of tasks, due to the means providing for specialization of tasks - agriculture, and profit is simply representing the idea of a person's efforts in hunting or gathering yielding a gain that allows them to survive further.




Its like saying i profit from drinking water or eating food. But an economic gain is handled differently to a resource gain. A resource being the yeilds from the hunt/crop that can actually have a physical impact on somebodies situation. Whereas you can stare at money and it wont feed or shelter you, until you exchange it back to a resource form.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Tiger Skin and Meat For Sale! [Re: plonkerism]
    #9625467 -

plonkerism said:
Wouldnt only some species be suitable to use for profit? Like tigers for their skin and meat etc. I see mostly mammals and fish being the ones targeted by this as they have the most money to be made from their meat, oils, fur, all that type of shit. There is not a lot of profit in ants, or beetles, cockroaches etc, so these types of things would fail. I see the benefit in using the scheme to save some things but it would not preserve everything needed to have a sustainable enviroment.



That's just it though - preserving these animals by creating incentive that is needed to actually preserve them would subsequently preserve their ecosystem as well, which would automatically include the myriad of things that would not be directly profited from. Once again, I was speaking of effective regulation by centralized governments to preserve natural habitat, and not simply stuffing tigers in a farm. It wouldn't actually be necessary to sell beetle shells in order to protect them as well. :wink:

Quote:
My suggestion is that, if the planets wildlife is all supported by delicate ecosystems, then wouldnt supporting only some of the species within the ecosystems mean that the ecosystem will inevitably fail?



Not really, because things like tigers are pretty much at the top of the "food chain", so protecting them would necessarily imply protecting the entire ecosystem beneath them.


--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Tiger Skin and Meat For Sale! [Re: plonkerism]
    #9625478 -

plonkerism said:
Its like saying i profit from drinking water or eating food.



Exactly.

Quote:
But an economic gain is handled differently to a resource gain. A resource being the yeilds from the hunt/crop that can actually have a physical impact on somebodies situation. Whereas you can stare at money and it wont feed or shelter you, until you exchange it back to a resource form.



Yes - that's civilization and specialization of tasks for you. Profit is still profit.
You originally said:

Quote:
Evolution was not based on profits, but survival



What exactly is the difference you mention? Simply that energy is transferred amongst individuals through a more abstract system? What is it about humans developing a system to enable specialization of tasks that makes the difference?


--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Tiger Skin and Meat For Sale! [Re: deCypher]
    #9625735 -

deCypher said:
What impact on the biosphere would result from the extinction of tigers?




--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Tiger Skin and Meat For Sale! [Re: deCypher]
    #9626388 -

I couldn't really say with much precision, since I don't study tigers, but, despite the fact that their habitat becomes increasingly fragmented, they still exist in a lot of areas all over Asia, and I'm sure they hold a considerable place in the way of predation on a great variety of smaller animals (check wiki for a list). Honestly, I certainly don't think that their role on this planet is anywhere near a linchpin, and the only real question regarding the subsequent effects on the biosphere is what role humans will choose to play in causing their extinction and subsequently how much of a role they will play in taking their place.

Obviously, tigers don't have to exist. There's no inherent reason why any one or number of species has to exist. Regarding why I would personally feel that humans should play a role as stewards in assuring that tigers will continue to exist in their natural environment in perpetuity, I'll have to get into that another time. :wink:


--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Tiger Skin and Meat For Sale! [Re: fireworks_god]
    #9626410 -

So you know but are unwilling to share it? Or you don't know?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Tiger Skin and Meat For Sale! [Re: lIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl]
    #9626440 -

fireworks_god said:
I'll have to get into that another time. :wink:



Why ask questions regarding something that was already answered? :wtf:


--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Tiger Skin and Meat For Sale! [Re: fireworks_god]
    #9626450 -

Because you didn't answer, and I asked the question why you didn't answer, which hadn't been asked.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Tiger Skin and Meat For Sale! [Re: lIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl]
    #9626516 -

You never asked "the question why I didn't answer". You asked two questions in conjunction with each other to imply that my reason for not answering further on that point was either/or.

I said I'd have to get into it another time. I made an error in my last post in saying that it was already answered, because I had the impression that the way I worded the statement had implied that time constraints were the reason why. Its as simple as that, though.


--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Tiger Skin and Meat For Sale! [Re: fireworks_god]
    #9626573 -

fireworks_god said:
You never asked "the question why I didn't answer". You asked two questions in conjunction with each other to imply that my reason for not answering further on that point was either/or.



I think what I did was present two possibilities of possible reasons for not answering, which I assumed were broad enough that the true reason would fall into one or the other category. However, I was not asking you to answer the original question.


fireworks_god said:
I made an error in my last post in saying that it was already answered, because I had the impression that the way I worded the statement had implied that time constraints were the reason why.



I understand that, which is why I set up the questions so as to consume as little time as possible. However, if your stance is that it is more complex than what I have simplified it down to, I think possibly a third question could be: Or have I misjudged the question in some way?


fireworks_god said:
Its as simple as that, though.



I'll have to take your word on that, since you didn't answer why you didn't answer.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Tiger Skin and Meat For Sale! [Re: lIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl]
    #9626596 -

adjust said:
I'll have to take your word on that, since you didn't answer why you didn't answer.



I just did in my last post: "because I had the impression that the way I worded the statement had implied that time constraints were the reason why. Its as simple as that, though".

Does that satisfy your thirst for curiosity?


--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Tiger Skin and Meat For Sale! [Re: fireworks_god]
    #9626600 -

No.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Tiger Skin and Meat For Sale! [Re: lIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl]
    #9626604 -

Well, you'll just have to deal with it. :razz:


--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Tiger Skin and Meat For Sale! [Re: fireworks_god]
    #9627599 -

I'll answer. Tigers serve very little role in the ecosystem as they are an apex predator - nothing depends on them except to keep their population down. If tigers went extinct they would be replaced by their main rival, wolves.

But if tigers went extinct because of us, we could never live that down.


--------------------
I know... that just the smallest
                                                part of the world belongs to me
You know... I'm not a blind man
                                                    but truth is the hardest thing to see

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Tiger Skin and Meat For Sale! [Re: fireworks_god]
    #9629620 -

fireworks_god said:
plonkerism said:
Its like saying i profit from drinking water or eating food.



Exactly.



Right. But isnt profit defined as gaining rewards from your effort that is greater than what you put in? By eating and drinking arent i just surviving, as if i dont i will die?

Unless surviving is profiting which would just make my head explode.

For this idea though, i dont think it would work out. If you did it with tigers you would have to, as you say, 'regulate' the numbers of prey they have and in turn food for whatever the prey eat.. It would be extremely costly.. but it would create many more jobs in the environmental 'regulation' industry. Maybe more focus on this industry would generally create more awareness and the environment could benefit. Damn ive contradicted myself.. Oh well

I just dont have enough trust in government to regulate that sort of thing effectively. It wouldnt generate enough cash the become profitable - in a completely monetary sense. We would profit by having lots of cool animals but thats not what the government is interested in :wink:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |  [ show all ]

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Meat = greed
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
Lightningfractal 5,387 89 12/23/04 12:44 AM
by franco_on
* Human vs Natural Cruelty Ravus 870 5 01/30/05 01:13 AM
by Swami
* Animal Species Extinction: So what? Amber_Glow 1,339 14 05/07/07 05:05 PM
by Amber_Glow
* Extinction and its Implications for Mankind RebelSteve33 2,919 19 12/10/02 02:39 AM
by Shroomalicious
* An end to extinction (literally) Ulysees 1,029 8 05/30/02 03:04 PM
by Anonymous
* The Voluntary Human Extinction Movement RebelSteve33 1,975 14 08/12/02 02:00 AM
by kneegrow
* if people are going to eat meat...
( 1 2 3 all )
nightkrawler 3,400 53 11/05/06 01:20 PM
by Icelander
* Horse porn - animal cruelty or animal right?
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
AsanteM 13,793 99 06/23/08 06:06 PM
by Visionary Tools

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
4,261 topic views. 1 members, 4 guests and 15 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.028 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 18 queries.