Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineNirvhead
-State of Art-

Loc: WA State, USA
Disappointing hunt, good learning experience.
    #959305 - 10/14/02 08:44 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

It's 7:00 a.m. right now, and I just returned home from my second mushroom hunting expedition of the year (and ever for that matter). I left Moses Lake, WA (east of the mountains) around 7:30 p.m. on Friday night and headed directly to the Quinalt Rain Forest (it's in the Olympic National Park near Amanda Park/Quinalt) and found a little clearing by the road to pitch a tent.

Next morning I woke up around 6:30 freezing my ass off and headed to a meadow near the North shore ranger station to look for liberty caps. Although the conditions in the field seemed absolutely perfect for libs, I managed to find only one active shroom (a liberty cap). Unhappy with my luck I left the meadow and spent several hours driving around the rain forest looking through meadows and clearings to no avail. Around 4:00 I left the rain forest and drove to Aberdeen to get gas, after which I drove east and north to Port Angeles. I'm hoping to move to the Port Angeles area soon, so my wife, daughter and I looked around the town for a while, taking in the sights, and also looking for any signs of cyanescens in the many gardens in the downtown area. Foiled once again, we headed towards Forks and ended up setting up tent in a very mushroom infested area a few miles up an unnamed forest service road.

Early Sunday morning I woke up and spent a couple hours exploring the area around where we had camped. It was a very moist area and contained dozens of different types of mushrooms (including some I had never seen before), but nothing that I was looking for. I was getting depressed at this point (not really, I enjoy finding all kinds of mushrooms, not just psycho-active ones) so we took off and headed back through Port Angeles and Sequim until we got to the Old Fort Townsend State Park. Once again I found many diverse types of mushrooms, but none active. I did come across an amazingly large cluster of green mushrooms growing across three fallen trees and picked one out of curiosity. I've yet to identify it however. After eating lunch at the park we continued to Port Townsend, searched for cyanescens and liberty caps, and then began the drive home around 3:00 (not really driving "home", but driving in the general direction of home, intending to stop at every interesting field along the way). South of Port Townsend we drove through a little town called Chimacum, and there just happened to be a mushroom show in progress, so I stopped in. As I was looking at all the specimens they had layed out on tables a woman in her forties walked up to me and asked me if I wanted any information, and whether I was interested in edible mushrooms or psychedelic mushrooms. We sat down and she ended up feeding my head with information for about 10 minutes, including directions to what she claimed had been a great spot for finding liberty caps when she was still hunting them (apparently she quit using them recently). The catch? The "great spot" was back in Port Angeles in the opposite direction of home.

Desperate for a little bit of success I decided to head back to P.A. to see if I could finally find more than one little lib. For those who know the city, the area she told me to look was the long strip of grass growing along Hollywood Beach, next to the asphalt walkway. By the time I got there it had become fairly dark, and as I continued my search it became very dark. I ended up modifying my crack lighter and using the flame to examine the ground (there were also lights spaced regularly along the path). When I had nearly given up hope, I chanced across a rather large patch of LBM's that in my excitement (and in the dark) I believed to be liberty caps, so I got down on my knees and picked as many as I could find that were larger than pins. After this "find" I was satisfied and we left for home. It wasn't until I got home around 3:30 a.m. (my wife had to take a 2 hour nap while driving and my license is suspended, so...) that I was able to examine the mushrooms closely and determine that they are not liberty caps, and in fact not active whatsoever.

And so, unfulfilled, I - Master of Insomniacs - sit here in front of the Shroomery forums trying to appease my appetite by imagining all of your pretty mushrooms were in my basket.

Random notes:
1) Due to additional hunting experience and a first-hand look at many types of mushrooms with identifications at the Chimacum mushroom show, I am now able to identify many more types of edible and poisonous mushrooms.

2) This was my first encounter with other mushroom lovers... now if only I had someone to hunt with. A pregnant wife with no interest in psycho-active substances is no fun.

3) This trip was to have been my first experience hunting with another (more knowledgeable) person - dobie to be precise - but alas, turning my cell phone on and off about 500 times over the weekend did not seem to help the fact that dobie doesn't have long distance.

4) A solitary liberty cap seems to have little to no effect, lol.

5) My entire hunting trip was based on a $50 budget.

And that is my story. Congratulations to those few (if any) who made it all the way through without losing interest.

-Matthew

--------------------
Like a fiend in a cloud
With howling woe,
After night I do croud
And with night will go;
I turn my back to the east,
From whence comforts have increas'd;
For light doth seize my brain
With frantic pain.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemr_kite
The Watcher
Male

Loc: shambhala
Re: Disappointing hunt, good learning experience. [Re: Nirvhead]
    #959477 - 10/14/02 10:54 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Shit man, that sucks. Good to see that you remain positive though, and that you got something out of it...  :crazy:!

I had a similar experience yesterday; got the bus out of the city into the countryside and spent a good 3 or 4 hours walking around and hunting, to find less than a dozen libs. I was incredibly pissed off, but it rained quite a bit last night so I might try again.

Good luck for next time! 

--------------------
let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you really love

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#959775 - 10/14/02 01:17 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Hey man, I wouldn't even think that sucks. It sounds like a wonderful adventure to me! Whatever, you still found mushrooms and you were out in the wilderness camping...I find that to be beautiful and fun, even without finding the things you want.

Expectations are a bitch.

You know, just because you didnt find something this time doesnt mean you should just give up. I think it takes many of times to figure out spots that are good, and whatnot. I've gone hunting at least 20 times without finding anything of my interest, but everytime I go, I find something new. I keep thinking that maybe the next time I'll find something edible or something active. You living in the PNW will have such a high chance of finding some great fungi-friends.

Thanks for the story, and just keep searching!!! :smile:

Offlineviscid
dikaryon
I'm a teapot

Loc: the mycological center of...
    #959811 - 10/14/02 01:30 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

expectations are a bitch.
i'm in a valley waitng for the rain to get serious.
it's fuckin mid-october and there is no rain, and the temps are like summer.
fudge.
i spend hours every day hunting, every few days i eat a mushroom-laden meal.
mushrooms are excellent food, and i cant imagine how much food you must have seen on your trip....
i personally, alone, got about 5 lbs of king boletes yesterday, not to mention the pounds of chanterelles and the hefty lobsters.
i kept my kings and sold the rest for gas.
to top it off, i found my pipe that i lost in the woods last week.
you cant beat mushroom hunting for fun, excitement, exercise and the rewards are even better!!!!!!!!!!!
no sad face.
make happy face.
you try too hard.
you find cyans in seattle, no have to drive all over kingdom come.
you grow cubensis, not get so stressed about psychedelics.
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELAAAAAAAAAAAAAAX.
peace.

--------------------
You do not know me.

You can't see me.

OfflineBitchCakes
The captain ofouter space

Loc: Sea Attole
Re: Disappointing hunt, good learning experience. [Re: viscid]
    #959895 - 10/14/02 02:02 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Good story, although a bit sad...sounds just like the luck I've been having. Hang in there and report everything, the good and the bad. It really helps the rest of us 'newbie' hunters

--------------------
-I'm a dork-

OfflineNirvhead
-State of Art-

#960098 - 10/14/02 03:27 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Whoah! Don't get me wrong, I'm not at all upset, and I have no intention of ever giving up my pastime. Psycho-actives sparked my interest, but the inactive species are more than interesting enough to hold it. As for the traveling about to find cyans... Just part of the fun. I guess I could have stopped in Seattle and searched endlessly, but that's not as fun as driving endlessly to find nothing  :wink: 

--------------------
Like a fiend in a cloud
With howling woe,
After night I do croud
And with night will go;
With frantic pain.

OfflineNirvhead
-State of Art-

#960246 - 10/14/02 04:33 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

One other note: I have never experienced a singular 'magic mushroom' trip. I have had a multitude of experiences that fall into the category of "utter stupidity" with such things as cocaine foils, crank, and huffing butane (I even tried smoking butane once... jk). In the past year however, I have gradually shifted from the "go to any lengths to get totally fucked up" mindset to one focused more on mind expanding experiences. Regardless of what opinions some may have about those who use DXM (cough syrup), I have had many awesome experiences on DXM, and sort of developed eyes to see inside of myself. It really whet my appetite for more intense psychedelic meanderings, and thus I developed a great interest in shrooms. I would call myself a mushroom fanatic now. Every chance I get I'll be driving westward to search again, and as soon as I collect enough money to get some supplies out of layaway at Wal-Mart I'll be growing my own cubensis (PF style!) :cool: 

--------------------
Like a fiend in a cloud
With howling woe,
After night I do croud
And with night will go;
With frantic pain.

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#960571 - 10/14/02 06:16 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Hey Nirvhead, I bet many people can match your description of early forays.

I agree with Viscid, except that the conditions are worse than summer; warm and sunny during the day, dry and COLD at night. I can't help but think that this slight cold dry snap isn't good for things. Who knows, maybe after a drenching week of rain we'll be looking at great flushing from artificial cold shock!

Nirvhead, for liberties on the penninsula, one thing that can help out is to check the region you're interested in for forest grazing rights. This is not very tough to do, the information is often requested by people for property assessments. The border regions of the forest that are leased for grazing are phenomenal starting points. Sounds like you were in manured areas, must have just been bad luck. The grazed-forest option is a nice route to go, though, as there are fewer farmers waving pitchforks in a forest than there are out in an open field.

Next time will be different.

Offlineviscid
dikaryon
I'm a teapot

Loc: the mycological center of...
Re: Disappointing hunt, good learning experience. [Re: Suntzu]
    #961005 - 10/14/02 08:41 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

i have been trying to find exactly such info for my area, suntzu.
i have actually beenb suggesting it to other folks too.
i seem to have done it before, and cant find any info around here.
but it's true everywhere, PUBLIC grazing lands are way better than PRIVATE ones...hey, you guys have a good season, and i hope you get what your lookin for.
peace.

--------------------
You do not know me.

You can't see me.

InvisibleStymee
From here to reality.
 User Gallery

Loc: Seattle, WA
    #961196 - 10/14/02 09:38 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Nirv, at least you got to drive around one of the most beautiful places in America, the Olympic Peninsula. And also be happy that you skipped Seattle. It's been bone dry here lately and it's even hard to find INACTIVE species.

I can't remember a dryer/hotter summer/early fall than 2002, however, El Nino tends to bring a very rainy winter so I'm sure once it starts, we'll have 3 or 4 week periods of precip. Until then, I think I'm going to get a few more late season hikes in.

OfflineNirvhead
-State of Art-

Re: Disappointing hunt, good learning experience. [Re: Suntzu]
    #962006 - 10/15/02 02:12 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the tip (about grazing rights). I may check on that or just take the time to do the extra work of figuring out which fields have been grazed upon :smirk:

Yeah, Stymee, I always enjoy my trips to the peninsula. I've always loved the forest, including before I had the slightest interest in mushrooms - barring childhood fascination  :tongue:

Anyhow, I'm just sitting around unemployed waiting for rain and hoping it can beat out the depletion of my bank account. If I have my way I'll be back out hunting next weekend, though I intend to travel further south and explore the coast near or in Oregon.

--------------------
Like a fiend in a cloud
With howling woe,
After night I do croud
And with night will go;
With frantic pain.

Edited by Nirvhead (10/15/02 02:14 AM)

OfflineBitchCakes
The captain ofouter space

Loc: Sea Attole
    #963205 - 10/15/02 01:50 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I was just over camping on the olympic peninsula, the drive along highway 101 is well worth the trip. This is probably already known, but there's a great website called Vtrail (www.vtrail.com) that lists reviews of tons of hikes in WA.

I'm ready for the rain...I just bought a new digital camera, hoping i can put it to good use hunting

--------------------
-I'm a dork-

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds