Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Truffle Season has begun in SW WA *Pics*
    #9610109 -

The snow has finally melted and the rains have stopped for a day or two so I decided to go out and do a little foraging for truffles. I have lots of prime habitat around my place. I walked across the road and an hour later I had some truffles. I found three different types, at least I think I did. The first pics below are of Tuber oregonense or Tuber gibbosum AKA The Oregon White Truffle

The next photo is of an unknown truffle


Finally a foto that compares the two truffles side by side, the truffle on the left is Tuber gibbosum

The last picture is of some other truffles I found that closely resemble Tuber gibbosum, but I am not 100% sure they are. They are lighter in weight nd color and the inner flesh has less marbeling.

I found an ounce and a half of the Oregon Whites in about an hour. Not a bad first day.

Peace


--------------------
you are not who i thought i was...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Truffle Season has begun in SW WA *Pics* [Re: Ice House Shaman]
    #9610185 -

nice :thumbup:

they kinda look like potatoes :vaped:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Truffle Season has begun in SW WA *Pics* [Re: Ice House Shaman]
    #9610335 -

Really cool! How'd you find them? Did you use your dog, or hit flies with a stick? What do they smell like?:eek:


--------------------
Mr. Mushrooms said:
I will confess something that should be quite obvious, CC.  I love mushrooms, i.e. fungi.  I really do.  I am talking about a strong feeling, i.e. emotion, for them.  I think they are beautiful.  I even dream of them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Truffle Season has begun in SW WA *Pics* [Re: Bobzimmer]
    #9610605 -

I am working with my dog now that I have some samples to scent up one of her toys. Finding them really wasn't that difficult, it required more research than actual hunting. This variety of truffle, The Oregon White, is found in a very specific habitat. They are a mycorrhizal fungus . In these parts, they are found exclusively in Douglas Fir tree farms. To be more exact, they are found just under the mulch layer in the roots of trees that are around 10-20 years of age. The easiest way to locate them is to look for where the squirrels have been digging, because they eat em too. They love em. I use a small garden rake to pull away the top layer of mulch and thats where you find them. The taste is wonderful but very difficult to describe its unique, its a very strong pungent odor thats almost like a strong, foul, (in a good way), cheese. It is used for flavoring cheeses, rice, pasta, meat. Its also used to flavor oil. Only a very small amount, a gram or two, is used when preparing a dish. They are fairly rare. The are the second most expensive food item you can buy after Saffron. They retail for about $400 a pound.


--------------------
you are not who i thought i was...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Truffle Season has begun in SW WA *Pics* [Re: Ice House Shaman]
    #9611399 -

Awesome! :awesome:

How long have you been hunting these?


--------------------
Always
Be
Closing

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Truffle Season has begun in SW WA *Pics* [Re: scout24]
    #9613701 -

scout24 said:
Awesome! :awesome:

How long have you been hunting these?



This is my second season and this was my first time out this season. It's looking good this year now that I have the habitat part down.


--------------------
you are not who i thought i was...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Truffle Season has begun in SW WA *Pics* [Re: Ice House Shaman]
    #9614175 -

that is very cool, you must be pleased.


--------------------
Wreck yourself before you check yourself

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Truffle Season has begun in SW WA *Pics* [Re: burtonRebel]
    #9614507 -

Inspiring.  I know what I'm doing this weekend! :smile:


--------------------
  • When we built temples to view the stars, we knew about all 2000 of them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Truffle Season has begun in SW WA *Pics* [Re: ShockValue]
    #9614628 -

Good job. You even got some fairly good sized ones there.

Happy mushrooming!


--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Truffle Season has begun in SW WA *Pics* [Re: ShockValue]
    #9614754 -

Nice finds man, and great pics.


--------------------
"...Gal's seem to hate the thought of blending chicken shit in a blender.
So, wash it well afterwards & DON'T tell them..."  -Agar

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Truffle Season has begun in SW WA *Pics* [Re: Civ]
    #9627389 -

How long does the season last in oregon? I really would love to try and find them. You mentioned D.F tree farms, is the success rate a lot lower in wild D.F.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Truffle Season has begun in SW WA *Pics* [Re: coolboarderguy]
    #9628070 -

coolboarderguy said:
How long does the season last in oregon? I really would love to try and find them. You mentioned D.F tree farms, is the success rate a lot lower in wild D.F.



I'm not real sure how long it, (season), lasts. I'm still figuring this out as I go along. I live in SW Washington about 50 minutes north of Portland. Though I don't live Oregon I am in prime Truffle area. Your success rate in wild D.F. area will be much lower. My best guess is that if you found anything at all it would be like finding a needle in a haystack. Managed D.F. in the area where I live have no undergrowth not even much, if any moss at all.. No ferns and no vine maples. The areas where I have been digging have about a 2" layer of fir needle mulch. Its just a brown carpet. They grow between the mulch and the dirt, in the transition zone. I went out today and dug about 6 ounces. It was a pretty good haul for my second time this year. I got about 3x what I got the other day. I am heading out again in the morning. I will take a Camera along and get some habitat shots to post.

I am eating some pasta this evening with some Truffle butter on it tonight. These things smell superb.


--------------------
you are not who i thought i was...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Truffle Season has begun in SW WA *Pics* [Re: Ice House Shaman]
    #9632054 -

That does sound good. :smile: Thanks for the info it really helps. Especially the undergrowth stuff. I think im going to try my luck! Thank God mushroom hunting isnt over yet!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* sw wa cyans pics surfycat 2,250 10 11/06/01 06:33 PM
by OJ
* sw wa shrooms surfycat 1,073 3 03/21/03 01:03 AM
by mjshroomer
* New bluing Psilocybe from GA(PICS!!) Lizard King 4,963 15 05/13/02 10:35 PM
by mjshroomer
* Look at my amazing harvest!!!!!(pics) caspian320 2,171 5 04/22/02 11:51 AM
by angryshroom
* has the season begun in texas? philistine4life 1,245 3 04/11/02 02:20 PM
by philistine4life
* Amanitas in Ocean Park WA- PIC numinousphish 1,160 1 11/05/01 09:50 AM
by MAIA
* Weilii season has offically begun!!(PICS) Lizard King 2,725 16 10/09/02 09:28 AM
by Lizard King
* The official New Zealand psilocybin mushroom season thread 2017
( 1 2 3 4 ... 54 55 )
chipsandwich 95,151 1,086 03/20/18 01:46 AM
by Dark lotus

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: ToxicMan, karode13, inski, Alan Rockefeller, Duggstar, TimmiT, Anglerfish, Tmethyl, Lucis, Doc9151, Land Trout
2,829 topic views. 0 members, 12 guests and 52 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.03 seconds spending 0.01 seconds on 16 queries.