Home | Community | Message Board


Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinematt66
member
Registered: 03/17/02
Posts: 126
Loc: Connecticut
Last seen: 11 years, 1 month
question for a master
    #956695 - 10/13/02 12:25 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

i live in connecticut, and this past june, a friend crumbled up a mazatapec cake and dissersed it in an underground cubby hole where he thought the humidity would be high, and excessive rain/foraging would not be a problem. other bits were dispersed under overhanging rock edges for protection and maximum heat. The friend returned to this spot, after a warm humid, though somewhat dry summer today to look around. This spot is right near a river, moist, and has a plethora of mushrooms, really a great sight, of every size, contour, color, and dispersion imaginable. Now this friend looked in his little rabbit's den, but could find no sign of growth. In other areas, he detected strong mycelial networks out of which sprung some short, flat topped shrooms. Some of these were blue on top. Most he would describe as purplish, rather than blue. One had a wide flat cap with a maz-colorish top and an all purple stem. These shrooms were not in the exact location where he dispersed the cake (he's not sure exactly where). Anyhow, these blue/purplish shrooms were scattered and amidst, like I said, a virtually enormous variety and extent of other shrooms. should my friend give these a shot? he was also told that if you place a small piece under the tongue and there is no burning or reaction within an hour, that the shroom is probably ok, and to continue taking small nibbles as long as no adverse symptoms appear. what to do, what to do? Thank you

goatboy


--------------------
Truth is the daughter of time, time doesn't exist...
Truth cannot exist within the human convention of time- The Goat Hath Spoken


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Registered: 06/28/02
Posts: 6,478
Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Last seen: 21 minutes, 57 seconds
Trusted Identifier
Re: question for a master [Re: matt66]
    #956759 - 10/13/02 01:22 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Your friend's idea for telling if a mushroom is poisonous is going to get him sick or dead. The only known safe way to tell if a mushroom is poisonous is to identify it to species.

Consider that the most dangerous toxins, the amatoxins in the deadly Amanitas, can show no effects whatsoever for 12 hours, and even in large doses take at least 4 hours to show effects. Based on your friend's idea you could munch down a whole bunch of Amanita phalloides (the mushroom which kills more people than any other), since they taste good and won't show any symptoms until it's too late.

You should never eat an unidentified mushroom.


As far as your cultivation experiment goes, Stamets indicates that a number of species will wander from the location where the spawn was placed. so the fact that they're not growing exactly where you planted them isn't necessarily a big deal.

Try collecting some of the mushrooms and identifying them. There are many people here who will happily assist you in this. Photographs are helpful, as is a detailed description. And don't forget to make a spore print - identification is often impossible without one.

Happy mushrooming!


--------------------
Happy mushrooming!


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Registered: 12/24/99
Posts: 8,946
Re: question for a master [Re: matt66]
    #956768 - 10/13/02 01:27 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

In reply to:

if you place a small piece under the tongue and there is no burning or reaction within an hour, that the shroom is probably ok



-I would never use that technique. It could be a dangerous method for identifying anything.

Tip of the Day!~
Presented to you by GGreatOne234, ;
Do not use the following technique to identify a mushroom:
" place a small piece under the tongue and there is no burning or reaction within an hour, that the shroom is probably ok ".

Keep on shroomin,
GGreatOne234


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Bad Subb reaction? AgentClaret 840 17 09/28/08 11:57 AM
by AgentClaret
* blueing reaction shroomydan 1,015 5 07/13/04 06:33 AM
by DepthToTheCore
* PNW hunting questions. 69I8U 1,339 11 11/24/07 08:00 PM
by scout24
* Fly Agaric: Question that needs clearing up. Sin Bad 1,603 7 11/21/04 01:24 AM
by ORHunter
* BlueFoot Questions...
( 1 2 3 all )
GoodbyeOrb
6,269 50 08/03/07 09:16 AM
by Libertine
* Question about Amanita Muscara var. Formosa & Drying.
( 1 2 all )
PlatinumCaps 2,483 28 10/09/04 02:19 AM
by PlatinumCaps
* A few questions from a novice BongmasteR 959 1 10/23/01 10:41 AM
by MAIA
* Question about blueing.... bum 756 1 04/30/02 03:25 AM
by zeronio

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: ToxicMan, karode13, Alan Rockefeller, TimmiT, Joust
741 topic views. 9 members, 38 guests and 7 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Toggle Favorite | Print Topic | Stats ]
Search this thread:
Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Copyright 1997-2016 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.03 seconds spending 0.004 seconds on 14 queries.