Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinecaller11
Generallyfrustrated

Loc: Bay Area
One quick question
    #1962640 - 09/29/03 02:26 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I've been searching the shroomery, Erowid, and MJ's site for close to an hour, and can't find an answer to this fairly simple question:

1. What color spore print does Galerina Marginata/Autumnalis have? I remember reading somewhere a while ago that it was a lighter brown.
2. Is the color of the spore print the only way to tell these species apart from Ps. Cyanaescens?

I'm in the Bay Area and anxiously awaiting the first rain, but I want to make sure I won't pick 5 grams of Galerinas and die on my first hunt...you know how it is =)

Thanks!

Edited by caller11 (09/29/03 02:33 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Re: One quick question [Re: caller11]
    #1962667 - 09/29/03 02:34 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Offlinecaller11
Generallyfrustrated

Re: One quick question [Re: motaman]
    #1962690 - 09/29/03 02:40 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Okay, cool...after reading the description on that link and looking at the pictures, I'm now deathly afraid of eating anything remotely similar to a Ps. Cyanescens. How is one supposed to tell these two mushrooms apart?!

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1962727 - 09/29/03 02:54 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Make sure you make spore prints (on white paper for determining color) before you eat them. Psilocybes generally have purplish brown spore prints. Galerinas generally have rusty brown ones.

As you find specimens of each and see them each several times you will notice other, subtler things that you can use to tell them apart. But the spore print is the quickest, easiest, and probably safest way.

Being nervous about accidentally eating a deadly Galerina is a good thing. There have alerady been too many poisonings where somebody mistook one for the other. Be cautious and look for objective, sure ways to tell the difference between anything you want to eat and anything you definitely don't want to eat.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinecaller11
Generallyfrustrated

Re: One quick question [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1962792 - 09/29/03 03:13 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks, ToxicMan. That's great advice.

One more thing: Say I do eat a "P. Cyan" and nothing happens, i.e., I don't trip at all. After 2 hours or so, should I a) drink some Ipecac and throw up, b) call the Poison Control Center, c) wait until symptoms of poisoning occur to do anything?

(Of course, if I do find anything I suspect of being active, I'm going to post here and get a 100% positive ID before I do anything stupid that could result in that situation.)

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: 352
    #1963827 - 09/29/03 09:16 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

not necessarily. unless you enjoy it.

do the latter before you burp up your food into a nonexistant second chamber.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1964364 - 09/30/03 12:20 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

At a minimum, you should make sure you learn to entirely eliminate any deadly poisonous species. I recommend that anybody who will eat wild mushrooms they pick and identify for themselves needs to know all the deadly species of mushrooms. There aren't that many. Once you know them (even in a general sense), make sure you never eat anything that could be one of them.

While there is always the possibility that you might eat a deadly mushroom that isn't known yet, it is very unlikely. The most likely worst outcome is that you could become *very* sick. That's the reason that you should always eat only a tiny (smaller than your smallest fingernail) amount the first time with a new species, and wait at least 24 hours before you eat more (at least 3 weeks if it's a Cortinarius!). If it's poisonous, you won't get as sick as you would otherwise.

Also, when you try a new species of mushroom, make sure you keep some specimens, uncooked, in a bag (not plastic!) in your refrigerator. If you get sick, take them with you to the emergency room. They will contact an expert to identify the mushroom.

If you have reason to believe you may have eaten a poisonous mushroom, if it's less that 4 hours since you ate it, empty your stomach (Ipecac is your friend). After 2 hours it might not be in your stomach any more, but it might be. If you start showing any symptoms, seek immediate medical attention. Tell them (be honest!) what has happened (there is no law against trying to eat an illegal mushroom and making a mistake).

Of course, the best thing is to be sure before you eat the mushroom, so you don't have somebody like me having to write up another mushroom poisoning report to submit to NAMA.

Learn to identify mushrooms accurately before you eat them. That's your best protection against being poisoned.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinebuddhathehut
readingrainbows.......

Loc: North Carolina
Re: One quick question [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1964413 - 09/30/03 12:30 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

CHECK FOR DEFINATE BLUEING IN EVERY MCUHROOM!!! And here's a more solid tip...- collect many suspected amounts of both and study them closely.. Keep the ones you decide are "good" but don't eat them. Dry them and take pictures- record- take prints and catalogue them wiht your dried specimens. Then repeat this process until oyu are absolutely confident you can tell them apart. And you will have saved up a shitload! (And you will be a better shroomer!) Be sure to collect both. I collect a shitload of non actives and poisonous mushrooms as many shroomers don't- they have a fantastic database of knowledge on actives and no way to identify a poisonous or edible or whatever because they have only READ abou them and not ever PICKED them. Good luck friend.

--------------------
"If you do not want to go within, do you want to go out? But where will you go, since He ie everywhere in this universe, and surrounding this universe?" - Shrii Shrii Anandamurti

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
Re: One quick question [Re: buddhathehut]
    #1964457 - 09/30/03 12:43 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Very true. Of course I made sure as toxicman said that I knew every deadly species of mushrooms there was. Then I learned Psilocybes inside out and back again. I read everything on active mushrooms there is to read damn near. I also became very aquainted with the look alikes I encountered and was able to identify those. I then learned to ID good edibles in my area as my interest in mushrooms grew. But I never picked mushrooms that meant nothing to me, wasn't active or edible, wasn't worth bending over and picking IMO. Only the past 2 of the 5 years I have been picking mushrooms have I started to pick every single species I come across and try to identify it. And its not always possible without a microscope, sometimes a genus is the best you can do, and sometimes not even that. But I am learning alot, and its been fun. I will soon know most all of the mushrooms that grow in the southeast US. Or atleast it seems that way, its rare I find something I haen't already come across these days.

Anyways, just sharing my experiance.

LK,

--------------------

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: One quick question [Re: Lizard King]
    #1964930 - 09/30/03 03:32 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Being nervous about accidentally eating a deadly Galerina is a good thing.

i second that. every time i read a description of amanatin poisoning symptoms i feel sick [placeebo can work for you]. i get kinda flushed and get a sinking feeling.

it's not that i'm afraid i will eat them, it's just that it is the least pleasant way i can think of to go.

this is more than a healthy respect i think, but it's not a bad thing at all if you ask me.

i can single out about all the toxic mushrooms or likely groups from any i hunt in my area if not without references and even then, i'm cautious. i only eat a few species from the wild as a rule because i have a long way to go.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

InvisibleHongosmeester
old sourdough
Male User Gallery
Loc: East Bay (EAST BAY GREASE...
    #1964945 - 09/30/03 03:41 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

caller11 said:
Okay, cool...after reading the description on that link and looking at the pictures, I'm now deathly afraid of eating anything remotely similar to a Ps. Cyanescens. How is one supposed to tell these two mushrooms apart?!

join the San Francisco Mycological Society it is only $20 per year .They would rather id a mushroom for you than have you die from eating it. pm me we can go hunting and I'll show you some galerinas etc. People in the society will give you general locations to look for p. cyanescens

--------------------
Don't fuck with me
I'm a postal worker;-)
A zen master once said to me
don't do anything I tell you to do
so i did

<p><a href="http://www.whump.com/dropbox/other/ujname.html">Get yours</a>.</p>

<p>My <a href="http://tinyurl.com/6valr">Unitarian Jihad Name</a> is: <strong>Brother Neutron Bomb of Compassion</strong>.</p>

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
Re: One quick question [Re: Hongosmeester]
    #1964970 - 09/30/03 04:00 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

join the San Francisco Mycological Society it is only $20 per year

a great suggestion.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

InvisibleHongosmeester
old sourdough
Male User Gallery
Loc: East Bay (EAST BAY GREASE...
Re: One quick question [Re: canid]
    #1964981 - 09/30/03 04:04 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

concretefeet said:
Quote:

join the San Francisco Mycological Society it is only $20 per year

a great suggestion. 

do YOU belong? :smile:

--------------------
Don't fuck with me
I'm a postal worker;-)
A zen master once said to me
don't do anything I tell you to do
so i did

<p>My <a href="http://tinyurl.com/6valr">Unitarian Jihad Name</a> is: <strong>Brother Neutron Bomb of Compassion</strong>.</p>

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
Re: One quick question [Re: Hongosmeester]
    #1965006 - 09/30/03 04:16 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

not yet.
i haven't had $20 to spare in a long, long time.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification