Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Microscope, Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Anonymous

cross linking genes
    #955039 - 10/12/02 03:00 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

is it possible to genetic cross link two potent species during the culture stage? i realize it may be difficult to tell until full developement but if the fungi used could crosslink their a and b gene u might have a more potent bugger to work with... I'm buying a microscope soon to be able to look more closely at the different stages and this idea always interested me... any ideas? by the way, i'm getting back into school and biology/mycology interests me for many reasons... would the admins consider a mycology forum? peace2u!

Anni

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: cross linking genes [Re: Anonymous]
    #955063 - 10/12/02 03:11 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Anonymous

Re: cross linking genes [Re: Anno]
    #955089 - 10/12/02 03:21 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

hmmm ... cool

Anni

Offlinefriendlyfriends
    #955400 - 10/12/02 06:00 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

a and b gene? I dont want to start an arguement here, but it sounds to me that your basically just trying to sound smart, without actually expecting a real answer.
1. Fungi reproduction does not inolve a simple, gamete + gamete = zygote ...rather in all the spores (millions), each has only one other match to it, to successfully mate.
2. Your comment on cross linking..i think you meant crossing over.. occurs when two gamets meet in meiosis to form a zygote. The thing is, this occurs randomly all the time at different parts of the chromosomes. So by chance, that the particular gene locus that contains the gene for potency of the cube, to be at the right part of the chromosome that will undergo crossing over probably does happen, however most likely only for who knows, 1 mushroom out of 6 months of cultivating, and that 1 mushroom could be an abort.
3. Your idea of getting a microscope to study this process is ridiculous, (sorry!). The fact that what you want to be looking at is in the nanometer range, you would need an electron microscope to use, so unless you have a few million dollars sitting around, just stick to a grow-tek and hope for the best!

Anonymous

Re: cross linking genes [Re: friendlyfriends]
    #955602 - 10/12/02 08:16 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

hmmm ... last summer i spent about 3 months with an academic group at my state university, trying to understand how a pathogenic mold species that existed in lab equiptment  made it?s way into me after a 4 hour expousure period. it turned out the mycotoxins were the real culprit, not so much the mold itself...

during this period i developed a passion for fungi... and i learned that i could study them with a microscope in the price range 400-500 dollars... one of the things i worked on was studying the samples that we were able to take after a 5 - 7 day incubation period...

we used cues from the hyphae itself to determine the type of molds we were dealing with... again.. these can be seen with standard microscopes ... not a million dollar electron microscope... i would imagine that the hyphae from one species of psilocbe are different from another.... i can?t say yes for sure... because i haven?t been able to personally make this type of study .. at that point in time my interest was not on halucinogenics.. and i wouldn?t have felt comfortable bringing these samples in to compare ... on my own, i had hoped to...

but u say ... can?t be done...

after undergoing plasmogamy, would the dikaryotic mycellium be different from either distinct species we started with???

I don?t know... thats why i asked... do i disregard anno?s post because u tell me to give up asking questions and just ptek it???

my expertise is industrial refrigeration and welding technologies... mushrooms at this point are a hobby... an interest unlike any i?ve ever had before...

thanks for ur feedback....  :smirk:

Anni 

Anonymous

#957869 - 10/13/02 09:26 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

although i feel this can be done, i decided to chill out and learn the basics deeper then i do... this is a great forum... i'm glad i found it... peace

Anni

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #957890 - 10/13/02 09:31 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

You might want to read
http://www.fungifun.org/sex.htm .

Anonymous

#958541 - 10/14/02 01:15 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Plasmogomy is the CYTOPLASMIC fusion of two monokaryons into a single dikaryon.  There is no genetic exchange between the two donor haploid nuclei, that end up coexisting under a single hyphal cell that begins the Dikaryotic phase.

If your two donor nuclei are coming from different strains, then I would say yes the new Dikaryon will probably behave differently then a dikaryon that was formed from two monokaryons from the same strain.

Crossing over and genetic exchange will occur after karyogamy and during meiosis.  The resulting spores would be a mixture of the Genes from both donor strains.

Limitations are with compatability of monokaryons and Dikaryons as well(anastamosis).

Any given monokaryon can and will mate with more then a single other monokaryon.  Some will be false matings, some will be succesful matings.  There isn't ONLY ONE monokaryon out there that will mate with ONE monokaryon.  THERE are probably millions of them within a single print from a single mushroom.

Follow the links that ANNO supplied.  READ READ READ.  Do so on the internet, do so in a College Science library.  The information you seek is out there. 

Don't be afraid to ask questions even when you get flamed.  :smile: 

Anonymous

Re: cross linking genes [Re: ]
    #958789 - 10/14/02 02:53 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

thanks for ur post and feedback... i checked out anno's first link already and feel it backed up what i felt was a possibility. that this could be done with this species and it could be observed... u seem to feek it can be done also... i feel better... i didn't agree with much of FF's post so i didn't feel flamed. but i obviously need to learn more before i can tit4tat... so i'll hang out on the sidelines and read what everyone has to say for awhile...

by the way.. i opened anno's second link and found a file i couldn't read... what do i need to read it anno?

peace...

Anni

Anonymous

Re: cross linking genes [Re: Anno]
    #961458 - 10/15/02 01:01 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

ahhh ... adobe . thanks

Anni

Offlineshroomsformike
Explorer forHuman Life
Loc: somewhere
    #962063 - 10/15/02 04:48 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Now he speaks as he knows his shit , id trust him as if he were the Master Paul Stamets himself.

It's an interesting subject because I know of somebody who has crossed b+ and cambo at a maraiachi party ans thwe jars colonized,havent seen the fruits but am looking forward to it

--------------------
Chief Mojo Rising
,,,where will you be when marshall law is put into effect,,,

Offlineshroomsformike
Explorer forHuman Life
Re: cross linking genes [Re: shroomsformike]
    #962069 - 10/15/02 04:50 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

a fine backpacker as myself loves to do

--------------------
Chief Mojo Rising

Offlineshroomsformike
Explorer forHuman Life
Re: cross linking genes [Re: shroomsformike]
    #962070 - 10/15/02 04:50 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

a fine backpacker as myself loves to do

--------------------
Chief Mojo Rising

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Microscope, Paul Stamets

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation