Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinepenlight438094
1 spliff 16.1g +1 man alone =Blitzed!
 Arcade Champion: Poker

Several questions?????straw, bulk, colors, cross breeds and bubbler
    #3614351 - 01/11/05 09:13 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

1. straw is popluar as a bulk substrate, so could one fill jars with straw pc and innoc with spores, if so could this be used as spawn or would there bee too little nutes to produce potent shrooms?

2. if shrooms are 90% water then could one potentally soak their substrate in a food coloring mix and grow colored shrooms, real different colors like red or green, not just a subtle shade difference

3. would it be possible to pasturize a fill 5lb compressed bail of straw, spawn it, bag it up, let it colonize as a bail, then break it up to create multiple bulk casings as opposed to breaking it up first and spawning multiple casings

4. nevermind the waste, could one use a bulk straw layer of 2 feet deep and produce huge shrooms or is there a point where they simply wont get any bigger

5. what is the most effective way to use a fishtank bubbler for humidifaction

6.finally, how exatly doesone go about crossing strains

--------------------
Grown on Uncle Ben's 5 Minute Rice
Looks nice, Think again, read and see http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3576624/an/0/page/0

Edited by penlight438094 (01/11/05 10:02 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinepenlight438094

Re: Several questions?????straw, bulk, colors, cross breeds and bubbler [Re: penlight438094]
    #3614712 - 01/11/05 10:45 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

come on now, no one can anwser any of these

--------------------
Looks nice, Think again, read and see http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3576624/an/0/page/0

OfflineGrasshopaWilkins
bitchwhat
 User Gallery

Re: Several questions?????straw, bulk, colors, cross breeds and bubbler [Re: penlight438094]
    #3614822 - 01/11/05 11:11 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

1.straw is generally used as substrate to spawn myc. to. youll get better results spawning grain to straw. although i guess you could innoc. straw in jars, it would be tricky to get the moisture level right.

2.soak shrooms in the food coloring/water. someone did it one time for x-mas. they had green and red mushies.

3.not quite sure what you mean. you could grow out a large amount of straw and then break it up into smaller casings BUT you would be running a severe contam risk. breaking up the straw would introduce all kinds of nasty shit in to the sub.

4.i dont think a two foot thick casing would go over too well, but then again ive never tried it. i think that anything over 6" deep in kinda overkill.

5.the only link i know of to the strain crossing stuff is on mycotopia and i dont think i can link there from here and dont feel like finding it on this site.

i hope i helped you out.

--------------------
without love in a dream itll never come true.

Offlinephantasm
DXM GURU
Re: Several questions?????straw, bulk, colors, cross breeds and bubbler [Re: GrasshopaWilkins]
    #3614846 - 01/11/05 11:18 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

basicly what ^^^^he said

#3 i think you could if you had a good 3-4 months to wait for a full spawn run and a nice dark warm place/incubator to put a full bail of straw

me i think ill just stick to spawning straw in 10 gallon buckets and 25 gallon rubbermaids but hey be your own person

-mike

p.s. Stamets says cubes are 92 % water and yes that makes a huge difference when drying large quantities trust me i was dissappointed in thinking it was 90% water

i.e. you have 500 grams wet shrooms
90%- yeilds 50 grams dry
92%- yeilds 40 grams dry

yeah big difference

--------------------
Only God Grows Amanita Muscaria

Offlinepenlight438094

Re: Several questions?????straw, bulk, colors, cross breeds and bubbler [Re: phantasm]
    #3614923 - 01/11/05 11:32 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

thats pretty much whatb I though

any specifics on the colored shrooms

--------------------

OfflineGrasshopaWilkins
bitchwhat
 User Gallery

#3614943 - 01/11/05 11:36 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------
without love in a dream itll never come true.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3616243 - 01/12/05 03:40 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

1. straw is popluar as a bulk substrate, so could one fill jars with straw pc and innoc with spores, if so could this be used as spawn or would there bee too little nutes to produce potent shrooms?

Straw can be stuffed in jars and then cased but you'll probably need to knock it up with liquid innoculant, spores most likly wouldnt germinate to well.

2. if shrooms are 90% water then could one potentally soak their substrate in a food coloring mix and grow colored shrooms, real different colors like red or green, not just a subtle shade difference

No...do you think if your mother drinks only blue water when shes prgnant with you you'll come out blue? I doubt very much there would be a shade difference at all and certainly not a big one...mushrooms dont grow as the colors of their substrate, its the colors of the species and strains.

3. would it be possible to pasturize a fill 5lb compressed bail of straw, spawn it, bag it up, let it colonize as a bail, then break it up to create multiple bulk casings as opposed to breaking it up first and spawning multiple casings

No because the middle wont colonize...cant get spawn to the middle of a compressed bail.

4. nevermind the waste, could one use a bulk straw layer of 2 feet deep and produce huge shrooms or is there a point where they simply wont get any bigger

Dont go beyond 10 inches...thats as big as I've heard of even on commercial edibles. I dont think cubies would see much difference beyond 6-8 inches and not even so much beyond 2-4.

5. what is the most effective way to use a fishtank bubbler for humidifaction

Hooked up to airwands stuck under 4 inches of geolite and 3 inches of water (or so). In a jar or bowl filled with water would work as well. You want most surface area of the water though.

6.finally, how exatly doesone go about crossing strains

You dont untill you have a firm understanding of their genetics and DNA and can get into gene splicing type crap. You can just mix them up or breed them or such like plants.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinepenlight438094

Re: Several questions?????straw, bulk, colors, cross breeds and bubbler [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3616273 - 01/12/05 03:46 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

alrighty, 10 inches standard straw it is, thanks

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Paul Stamets

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation