Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
TV detectors, I call bullshit
    #9416776 -

We have analogue TV here (UK) transmitted over the airwaves.  You attach an aerial to you TV and you can pick up 4 channels.

The catch is you have to pay a license fee if you are using the TV to watch the transmitted channels.

They put adverts on TV about how they know if you are watching or not because they have vans going around detecting you.  They fine you if they catch you.

I've heard all sorts of shit from people like "they know your watching it because the transmitter has to use more power when your TV sucks up the signal".

I think its complete shit.  In my knowledge of electronics I've never heard of a way of detecting that a TV is picking up a transmitted signal?  Is that possible?  I don't think so.

I think at best these vans would be able to detect the TV itself when turned on, that would be possible.

I think its all lies and thats why they spread the fear campaign because people would not pay the license fee if they realized they can't actually detect when a TV picking up a signal thus they have no evidence to prove the TV was used for that.  You could just say it was for DVDs only or a games console.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: TV detectors, I call bullshit [Re: Ego Death]
    #9416836 -

> In my knowledge of electronics I've never heard of a way of detecting that a TV is picking up a transmitted signal?

You knowledge is fairly limited, I assume.  Though you are correct, they don't detect that "the transmitter has to use more power when your TV sucks up the signal" or any other such nonsense.

Your television has a resonator within it (part of the tuner) that allows it to tune into various frequencies.  They detect the tiny signal that the tuner creates.


--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: TV detectors, I call bullshit [Re: Ego Death]
    #9416837 -



--------------------
Turn off your mind, relax and floatdown stream. It is not dying. Lay down all thought, surrender to the void. It is shining.

:darkside: Pink Floyd :darkside:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: TV detectors, I call bullshit [Re: Seuss]
    #9417041 -

So they can detect that I am watching a channel on the tv as opposed to playing a video game ?  I suppose if they could if they tell what specific frequency I was picking up.

The video game has to be tuned in to so I still don't see how they could prove I was using the TV to watch their transmitted signal?

What device to they use to detect the resonator?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: TV detectors, I call bullshit [Re: Seuss]
    #9419939 -

And how effective is that over a distance of say 50-100 feet and through at least one or several concrete walls?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: TV detectors, I call bullshit [Re: ChuangTzu]
    #9420020 -

pay to watch those commercials, cheap ass


--------------------
The DJ's took pills to stay awake and play for seven days.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: TV detectors, I call bullshit [Re: Ego Death]
    #9420854 -

Ego Death said:
The video game has to be tuned in to so I still don't see how they could prove I was using the TV to watch their transmitted signal?



Actually there's no tuning involved in a composite video cable, so they won't detect a game console.


--------------------
I know... that just the smallest
                                                part of the world belongs to me
You know... I'm not a blind man
                                                    but truth is the hardest thing to see

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: TV detectors, I call bullshit [Re: Ego Death]
    #9422791 -

> So they can detect that I am watching a channel on the tv as opposed to playing a video game ?

Yes and no.  They can detect what channel you are tuned into if you are tuned into a channel.  What you are watching/doing with that channel, they have no idea.

> And how effective is that over a distance of say 50-100 feet and through at least one or several concrete walls?

Concrete walls will probably attenuate the signal pretty severely.  A few hundred feet, no so much assuming they are using good antenna and a strong amplifier.  They don't have to read data on the signal, just detect it.


--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: TV detectors, I call bullshit [Re: Seuss]
    #9422991 -

I'm wrong and surprised.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: TV detectors, I call bullshit [Re: Ego Death]
    #9423327 -

They probably still rely somewhat on standard fear tactics. I imagine it's probably pretty difficult to identify all the TV receivers in an apartment building, for example.

Then again, I admire the BBC so much that I'd pay the fee, if I lived in the UK. They make a lot of damn good shows, and it's pretty good value for money compared to cable.


--------------------
I know... that just the smallest
                                                part of the world belongs to me
You know... I'm not a blind man
                                                    but truth is the hardest thing to see

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: TV detectors, I call bullshit [Re: zouden]
    #9424583 -

In Finland they just had the TV guy who would come around to your apartment once or twice a year and ask you if you have a TV.  Over there, everyone is so afraid to lie to authority that it basically works.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Transmitting data to a moving vehicle -- Wardriving, basically
( 1 2 3 all )
Baby_Hitler 4,359 40 06/02/05 05:00 PM
by Baby_Hitler
* Sick of MP3 player FM transmitters RandalFlagg 686 2 01/16/06 10:06 PM
by Vvellum
* Light Transmitting Concrete Edame 1,432 9 03/18/04 08:11 PM
by Joshua
* Long range transmitter for r/c vehicle? Ego Death 640 2 05/14/05 02:18 PM
by Ego Death
* radar detectors that work? kadakuda 1,728 16 12/27/04 06:43 PM
by kadakuda
* Direct TV/HDTV? Worth getting? HagbardCeline 1,289 5 10/08/03 04:08 AM
by plura16
* internet thru satellite tv joe666 989 4 12/30/03 12:13 PM
by whiterasta
* Looking for in a good Video Capture/TV Tuner Card? Lana 1,373 8 07/21/03 10:02 AM
by RuNE

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: trendal, automan, Northerner
867 topic views. 0 members, 1 guests and 0 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.03 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 16 queries.