Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinejoe666
The ReverendToke DBK
 User Gallery

Loc: Southern by grace of God
internet thru satellite tv
    #2207342 - 12/29/03 11:02 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

anybody use this?

I was thinking of gettin it.

how fast does it go?
what are you paying?
do you think it's worth it?
who are you using for service?

--------------------
"A politician is like a baby's diaper, it should be changed often and for the same reason"-Coy Turner Sr.

"what is a weed, a plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered"--Ralph Waldo Emerson

"I'm sippin Hennessy, riding on my muthafucking enemies" -Meek Mill.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: internet thru satellite tv [Re: joe666]
    #2207455 - 12/29/03 12:27 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I had checked into it before they ran cable into my town.

They wanted about $700 for the equipment and $75 per month.

I still almost got it until I read the fine print. They have a daily download limit. I don't remember what it was but if you exceeded it they punished you by slowing the data rate to you for a day or two. Almost back to dial up speeds. Now I rarely download a bunch but I didn't want to do business with people too stupid to realize that by slowing you down, it just ties up their system even more.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #2209330 - 12/30/03 06:37 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

> how fast does it go?

The problem with satellites isn't speed, but latency. When thinking about the apparent speed of a connection, you need to ask yourself two things: 1) what is the available bandwidth, 2) what is the latency. The bandwidth is the size of the pipe... how many bits per second you can stuff through the thing. The latency is the distance of the pipe... how many seconds it takes your bits to get from one end to another. You can have a huge pipe with a horrid latency feel like dialup.

Because satellites are way up in the sky, and the signal must go up and down (at an angle), there is usually around 0.25 to 0.5 seconds of latency. If you are downloading large files, this is no big deal. If you are typing in chat, then it will take around half a second for each character you type to show up on the other end. This gets very annoying if you aren't used to it. Kind of like talking to somebody across the ocean on the phone.

OfflineGranola
bag lady

Loc: 50.0N-6.0E
    #2209806 - 12/30/03 01:27 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

DirecWay, I had it and felt that I paid $800 for a 56k, the previous issues were already addressed but if you abuse the net like me and exceed 256MB in transfers they choke you back to almost nothing, they will not inform you as to why they do it, you have 30 days to change your mind and return the system less a $200 fee and usage charges, their techs have no clue about anything and will give you little or no information regarding the system so that you can optimize it for your use, according to them dynamic IP is secure and for a static IP your gonna spend %400 a month but still have the same issues for tech support

up on return thay will stall you for a couple of months and try and claim you never wanted to return it, I called to return in the first week and it still took 3 months for an RMA and I recieved a couple of bills for direcDSL whom had already gone out of buisiness

simply put, your better off putting notes in bottles and tosing them in the sewer and hoping they arrive in china.

Invisiblewhiterasta
Day careobserver
 User Gallery
Loc: Oregon
Re: internet thru satellite tv [Re: Granola]
    #2209898 - 12/30/03 02:13 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I have had no problems with starband.I pay 60/month.Speeds vary with traffic but considering where I live and the best hard connection only gives less than 28kbs,satlelite is just fine.Pretty problem free(but I am a tech head on dish transcievers)I never dip down to less than dial -up(56k) and often it is screaming fast.The whole shebang was about 600 in equipment and in 3 yrs it has never gone down(hardware) or had ANY weather issues or solar interference.The software still could use some tweaking but is pretty compatable with most formats and firewalls.
WR:rasta:

--------------------
To old for this place

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology