Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Possible Shaggy Parasol, Oregon
    #9328337 -

Habitat:
Growing in miscellaneous debris at the edge of a filbert orchard. Willamette Valley Oregon

Gills:
White, attachment unknown

Stem:
Stem 3-4" tall, about half an inch wide at top. Smooth with a vertical grain, slight bulb at the base of the stipe. Very obvious ring around the stipe.

Cap:
2-3" in diameter (not fully matured). Very soft scales that are brownish. Cap itself is white and feels very soft.

Bruising:
VERY light tan bruising, if any.

Pictures:



Other: I looked this one up in All That the Rain Promises and More... by David Arora and the closest match is Lepiota rachodes (Shaggy parasol). Also see page 279 of Mushrooms Demystified also by David Arora. I ran the key in MD and it was the only match I could find.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Possible Shaggy Parasol, Oregon [Re: JamesChappy]
    #9328403 -

lepiota rhacodes is now Chlorophyllum rhacodes and that seems to be a good fit for what you have. Just make sure the spore print is white.

I had the closely related macrolepiota procera awhile ago and it was SOOOO delicious. Shaggy parasols really are wonderful just sauteed in some butter. Congrats on the great find, just remember to spore print it to be sure.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Possible Shaggy Parasol, Oregon [Re: JamesChappy]
    #9328451 -

Chlorophyllum olivieri might be a better match.Also edible and choice but makes some folks sick.

Edited by DannyGlick (11/28/08 05:56 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Possible Shaggy Parasol, Oregon [Re: JamesChappy]
    #9328533 -

Here's a good northwest Chlorophyllum key.

http://www.svims.ca/council/Chloro.htm

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Possible Shaggy Parasol, Oregon [Re: DannyGlick]
    #9329035 -

Damn. It looks like the only really discernible difference between rachodes and olivieri is stem height to cap diameter ratio.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Possible Shaggy Parasol, Oregon [Re: JamesChappy]
    #9329219 -

nice find  are you gonna eat it


--------------------

cuando una rafaga del pensamiento nos pasa  al lado se puede sentir  que valio  la pena  haber vivido, y cuando ese pensamiento se  convierte en sueño no paramos de soñar hasta realizarlo

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Possible Shaggy Parasol, Oregon [Re: cactu]
    #9329805 -

if he doesn't he's a fool. best mushroom I ever tasted was a shaggy parasol.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Possible Shaggy Parasol, Oregon [Re: Beege]
    #9330363 -

Fool (since dude is new) might be a little much. When you're dealing with Chloropyllum it's best to tiptoe.:drunk:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Possible Shaggy Parasol, Oregon [Re: DannyGlick]
    #9330824 -

I didn't eat it. Last time I brought home a mushroom to eat (shaggy mane) my roomates freaked out. One thought I was trying to get high, the other just thought I was going to poison myself. Neither of them are really drug friendly. I'd have eaten them if they were out of town. Luckily I've seen them growing in the same spot, so I know I can check back occasionally.

Then again, I'm really not sure I want to munch on anything that could upset my stomach. If it was to get high, sure, but just for eats... meh.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Possible Shaggy Parasol, Oregon [Re: JamesChappy]
    #9330974 -

you need new roommates my friend :grin:


--------------------

cuando una rafaga del pensamiento nos pasa  al lado se puede sentir  que valio  la pena  haber vivido, y cuando ese pensamiento se  convierte en sueño no paramos de soñar hasta realizarlo

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Possible Shaggy Parasol, Oregon [Re: cactu]
    #9330988 -

:yesnod:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Possible Shaggy Parasol, Oregon [Re: DannyGlick]
    #9331072 -

DannyGlick said:
Fool (since dude is new) might be a little much. When you're dealing with Chloropyllum it's best to tiptoe.:drunk:



I dunno man, when I remember how good that mushroom was...  :yummy:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Possible Shaggy Parasol, Oregon [Re: Beege]
    #9332816 -

well if i were u i would eat edibles in front of your room mates no matter what they think.
educate em son.;)


--------------------
I'd rather be a human than a person

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Possible Shaggy Parasol, Oregon [Re: notorius gib]
    #9333842 -

Well what's everyone's favorite way to eat them?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Possible Shaggy Parasol, Oregon [Re: JamesChappy]
    #9333848 -

sauteed in butter then cooked in an omelete with feta cheese and olive oil.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Possible Shaggy Parasol, Oregon [Re: JamesChappy]
    #9334065 -

Ranch Dressing.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Possible Shaggy Parasol, Oregon [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #9334068 -

ew


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Possible Shaggy Parasol, Oregon [Re: Beege]
    #9334129 -

It's a inside, Ythanesque joke.  I've never eaten them.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Possible Shaggy Parasol, Oregon [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #9334138 -

:drool2:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Possible Shaggy Parasol, Oregon [Re: Beege]
    #9334716 -

I've heard of eating shaggy manes in omelets, but not shaggy parasols... I'll have to try that...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Shaggy Parasol, maybe? Nixtrus 1,324 4 09/10/06 11:06 AM
by Nixtrus
* Shaggy parasol? (limited info) RonPaulVerm 957 8 12/06/09 12:38 AM
by cameal
* Shaggy Parasols, plus some unidentified photos dhpgetsit 736 5 11/16/10 07:20 PM
by elprawn
* Shaggy parasol?
( 1 2 all )
Thallium 1,852 31 03/18/11 07:07 AM
by Alan Rockefeller
* Shaggy Parasol?? Pinhead 1,566 4 10/02/05 07:51 PM
by ToxicMan
* Ptown halloween walkabout - Shaggy Parasols and a Agaricus - Campestris?
( 1 2 all )
davide 3,564 22 11/03/10 03:17 PM
by davide
* Matsutakes, Shaggy Parasols and first active of the season wyattb 1,543 15 11/18/08 07:10 PM
by wyattb
* Shaggy Parasol? sui 2,472 13 03/22/09 01:22 AM
by German Kahuna

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: ToxicMan, karode13, inski, Alan Rockefeller, Duggstar, TimmiT, Anglerfish, Tmethyl, Lucis, Doc9151, Land Trout
2,889 topic views. 1 members, 21 guests and 36 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.03 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 14 queries.