Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

drying chambers
    #929796 - 10/03/02 09:30 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Whan making a drying chamber, is it neccessary to suspend the desicant above the bottom of the chamber? I just put cooked epsom salt at the bottom and fan dryed shrooms on the top (not touching the epsom salt) , will this work?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: drying chambers [Re: ]
    #929871 - 10/03/02 09:51 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

This is my first grow, I got my fan dryed shooms and put them in the chamber. They have been there for 2 days and I checked on them and they dont look like they're doing to good. I would like to know if I did something wrog so I can just freeze them untill the weekend if I fucked up.

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
    #929886 - 10/03/02 09:54 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I guess you baked the epsom salt @ 400*F for one hour before use. If this was the case, I would guess that either the container is not sealed well or you did not have enough salt in the container for the amount of mushrooms you wanted to dry. You really didn't provide enough information.

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

Anonymous

Re: drying chambers [Re: mickey_rourke]
    #929915 - 10/03/02 10:03 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

There is plenty of salt in the bottom, half the container (flower pot) is filled with salt. I covered the bottom hole with tape, then plastek wrapper the top and bottom and put a rubberband on it.

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Loc: in your house :)
    #929923 - 10/03/02 10:07 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

In reply to:

There is plenty of salt in the bottom, half the container (flower pot) is filled with salt. I covered the bottom hole with tape, then plastek wrapper the top and bottom and put a rubberband on it.

You can stil dose when there fresh or have a lil water in them. But if shouldn't take more than 2 days to get the rest out with dessicant or calcium chloride or any other chemical drying agents. They should be cracker dry. I don't think epson salts is a good way to get that out. Find some damp-rid or silicia gel balls somewhere in your town. It's there just look for it.

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

Anonymous

Re: drying chambers [Re: socratesmind]
    #929941 - 10/03/02 10:12 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I know you can eat them fresh but Im used to dry weight plus I'm eating them on the weekend. I have silica cristals, does anyoneone know for sure which is better?

Edited by psychopsilocyber (10/03/02 10:29 PM)

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
    #929951 - 10/03/02 10:14 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I use silica crystals and always get good results. It helps if you bake the crystals again after drying each harvest.

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Re: drying chambers [Re: mickey_rourke]
    #930033 - 10/03/02 10:29 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Well you can always checkout this link.
http://orgchem.colorado.edu/hndbksupport/drying/drying.html

Great link that explains the different types of drying agents and there capacities. Epson salts would be at the bottom of the list I would think cause if its main purpose was drying and it was good at it. It would be marketed for that purpose. Personally i'm in an area where damp rid or calcium chloride is readily available which is nice u get alot for maybe $3 :/ Dries anything quick and clean.

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

Offlinezazz
mini F+

#930039 - 10/03/02 10:30 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

if you use damp rid or something, the amount of water you are taking out isnt enough to make a difference. i have the damprid tub thing that is lifted off the bottom and the pellets just get shiny and stick together. if there were lots of water it would collect in the bottom.

Offlineliquidarthur
Stranger
    #930056 - 10/03/02 10:34 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I went to Lowe's and got some Damp-Rid. It's not hard to find and it works great. It's like a negative sponge. My friend Derf used it in his drying chamber and it dried out the shrooms very quickly.

peace

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Re: drying chambers [Re: zazz]
    #930063 - 10/03/02 10:36 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

When damp rid sticks together that means it is holding water. From what i've read the capacity of this chemical is pretty great but next I'm going to get some water and weight out 1g of calcium chloride and 1g of water. Gonna let them sit overnite and see how much water is taken out and i will report findings in morning.

--------------------

InvisibleShaw

#930804 - 10/04/02 01:47 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

are you saying you are using a treea cotta flower pot as a dessicant chamber? If so, it is certanly not a sealed container, as water and air will readily permiate it. If i misread something, disregard this.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds