Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Running cables through walls
    #9291336 -

I want to run some cabling through the walls in my home to hide the wires for both my entertainment center, which is just 1 HDMI cable that runs to the tv, and the sensor bar cable for the Wii.  I already had a power outlet installed behind the mount, so the power cable is taken care of.

I also want to run a gigabit network through the entire house and drop a line in every room.  I already have a router and my be getting a switch to install up in the attic where i want to run the cables through.

Really, im just looking for slick tips and easy ways to run these cables through the walls.  I may need to drop 1 cable on an outside wall, and from what I have heard, those are a little more difficult, so does anyone have any tips for me?  Also, i have high vaulted ceilings, they are probably about 12-14ft high, so the wall drop will be quite long.  What tools would be good to have to make the job easier?

thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Running cables through walls [Re: supra]
    #9291390 -

pilot bit and some skill

I run thermostat lines all the time and its the same basic thing

the best way to do it is if you have a basment right below the floor you want the cables run with an unfinished ceiling

if you do respond and ill let you know other wise an attic works but is way harder


--------------------

blankk said to fee:
btw you're a total fucking psychedelic pimp
Turtletotem said:
I want to become a sun worshipper, so next time an atheist smugly asks me where god is, I can point smugly at the sun and laugh my ass off.

Then I drive away in my solar powered piece of shit car, cool stuff man.

And then I go kill a bitch because the flaming orb in the sky told me to do so, and I don't know, oppress a few minorities here and there in the name of nuclear fusion?

Religion is fun.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Running cables through walls [Re: supra]
    #9291401 -

a lot depends on the finish of the home, bot interior and
exterior, my advice would be to run it under moulding like
1/4 round with a bevel on the back side or a shoe moulding,
let it enter the wall behind the moulding and exit at the
box, alternately you could remove your siding if it's not
brick and run it that way...

if there's already a wire where you're running it, use that
wire to pull the new wire including the replacemnt for the
one you use to pull it

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Running cables through walls [Re: fee]
    #9291407 -

yeah, no basement, solid foundation, so no way to go under house.  Attic is unfortunately my only choice.

I had also thought about under carpet, but I plan on putting in hardwood floors in a year or whenever the funds come available since I hate having carpet in the living area/hallway/any high traffic area, its a bitch to keep clean when you are active and have a large dog.

peace

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Running cables through walls [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #9291419 -

It truly does completely depend on the finish work of the house like pris said

the whole quarter round idea is a good one but it wont be easy


--------------------

blankk said to fee:
btw you're a total fucking psychedelic pimp
Turtletotem said:
I want to become a sun worshipper, so next time an atheist smugly asks me where god is, I can point smugly at the sun and laugh my ass off.

Then I drive away in my solar powered piece of shit car, cool stuff man.

And then I go kill a bitch because the flaming orb in the sky told me to do so, and I don't know, oppress a few minorities here and there in the name of nuclear fusion?

Religion is fun.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Running cables through walls [Re: fee]
    #9291454 -

well where your wall meets the attic your gonna have a top plate on that wall so youll need to pilot a hole in the stud bay you want to drop it in then have the hole you want to come out of made also. then take a some what sturdy (this will take two people) wire kinda like a cloths hanger but a little weaker, and fish it down from the top and the person down below watching for it then grabbing it how ever you can then taping the wire on to the pilot wire and make the tape where you tape the cable to the wire cone upwards in the direction you gonna pull it through so if their are any obstacles it hopefully wont catch


get it?


--------------------

blankk said to fee:
btw you're a total fucking psychedelic pimp
Turtletotem said:
I want to become a sun worshipper, so next time an atheist smugly asks me where god is, I can point smugly at the sun and laugh my ass off.

Then I drive away in my solar powered piece of shit car, cool stuff man.

And then I go kill a bitch because the flaming orb in the sky told me to do so, and I don't know, oppress a few minorities here and there in the name of nuclear fusion?

Religion is fun.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Running cables through walls [Re: fee]
    #9291495 -

fee said:
well where your wall meets the attic your gonna have a top plate on that wall so youll need to pilot a hole in the stud bay you want to drop it in then have the hole you want to come out of made also. then take a some what sturdy (this will take two people) wire kinda like a cloths hanger but a little weaker, and fish it down from the top and the person down below watching for it then grabbing it how ever you can then taping the wire on to the pilot wire and make the tape where you tape the cable to the wire cone upwards in the direction you gonna pull it through so if their are any obstacles it hopefully wont catch


get it?



yeah, thats how i figured it would work, and i can do all that, and have the tools necessary, other than the rigid wire 'fishing' line.  I was just wondering if there were any contractor 'tips/tricks' to making it easier, or maybe some sort of tool that makes it a breeze.

I will also look into the drilling out a channel down the baseboards, but i feel that would be more work than just getting into the attic...

thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Running cables through walls [Re: fee]
    #9291499 -

Quote:
then take a some what sturdy (this will take two people) wire kinda like a cloths hanger but a little weaker, and fish it down from the top and the person down below watching for it then grabbing it how ever you can then taping the wire on to the pilot wire and make the tape where you tape the cable to the wire cone upwards in the direction you gonna pull it through so if their are any obstacles it hopefully wont catch




go to an electrical supply house, home depot, or lowes and get a cheap "fish tape". its a metal coil that can be easily stretched out and wound back up. a short one (about 50 ft) should be just right for what you want to do. thats what electricians use for pulling in wire. they're worth their weight in gold.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Running cables through walls [Re: moe.phan]
    #9291513 -

plus their is a 3 pronged device used for extracting the fishing line out of the wall also. since the hole will be small this is a prime tool. should only be like 10 bucks.


--------------------

blankk said to fee:
btw you're a total fucking psychedelic pimp
Turtletotem said:
I want to become a sun worshipper, so next time an atheist smugly asks me where god is, I can point smugly at the sun and laugh my ass off.

Then I drive away in my solar powered piece of shit car, cool stuff man.

And then I go kill a bitch because the flaming orb in the sky told me to do so, and I don't know, oppress a few minorities here and there in the name of nuclear fusion?

Religion is fun.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Running cables through walls [Re: moe.phan]
    #9291514 -

moe.phan said:
Quote:
then take a some what sturdy (this will take two people) wire kinda like a cloths hanger but a little weaker, and fish it down from the top and the person down below watching for it then grabbing it how ever you can then taping the wire on to the pilot wire and make the tape where you tape the cable to the wire cone upwards in the direction you gonna pull it through so if their are any obstacles it hopefully wont catch




go to an electrical supply house, home depot, or lowes and get a cheap "fish tape". its a metal coil that can be easily stretched out and wound back up. a short one (about 50 ft) should be just right for what you want to do. thats what electricians use for pulling in wire. they're worth their weight in gold.



awesome, will head to lowes and look for one.  Will they guy know what i'm talkign about when i say 'fish tape' or will they give me that crazy, i don't know what the fuck you are saying, are you even speaking english? look.

Yeah, the electrician that ran that outlet for me, i sort of watched him work, so I could do it myself next time, and he had some wire on a spool, i forgot to ask him what it was though.

peace

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Running cables through walls [Re: fee]
    #9291517 -

fee said:
well where your wall meets the attic your gonna have a top plate on that wall



much harder than the moulding because there's little room to work

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Running cables through walls [Re: supra]
    #9291540 -

supra said:
moe.phan said:
Quote:
then take a some what sturdy (this will take two people) wire kinda like a cloths hanger but a little weaker, and fish it down from the top and the person down below watching for it then grabbing it how ever you can then taping the wire on to the pilot wire and make the tape where you tape the cable to the wire cone upwards in the direction you gonna pull it through so if their are any obstacles it hopefully wont catch




go to an electrical supply house, home depot, or lowes and get a cheap "fish tape". its a metal coil that can be easily stretched out and wound back up. a short one (about 50 ft) should be just right for what you want to do. thats what electricians use for pulling in wire. they're worth their weight in gold.



awesome, will head to lowes and look for one.  Will they guy know what i'm talkign about when i say 'fish tape' or will they give me that crazy, i don't know what the fuck you are saying, are you even speaking english? look.

Yeah, the electrician that ran that outlet for me, i sort of watched him work, so I could do it myself next time, and he had some wire on a spool, i forgot to ask him what it was though.

peace



yeah, they'll know what you're talking about. if you've seen one before, then you shouldn't have a problem going into the electrical dept. at lowe's and finding one on your own.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Running cables through walls [Re: supra]
    #9291573 -

supra said:
I will also look into the drilling out a channel down the baseboards, but i feel that would be more work than just getting into the attic...




dont drill anything but an entry hole in the wall, if you
have wood floors you already have 1/4 round moulding, it's a
standard, just bevel the pointy part on the back side, the
method I'm recommending involves a little drywall work to get
around the bottom plate but not a lot else, the act of
crawling into the attic will be more work and drilling into
the top plate is a huge pain in the ass because of clearance

this is 1/4 round with shoe moulding, it's simply pry it away
from the wall and bevel it, I've done it with hand tools,
pocket knives and power tools, it's easy and honestly the
least work with the most room to work


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Running cables through walls [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #9291589 -

Prisoner#1 said:
fee said:
well where your wall meets the attic your gonna have a top plate on that wall



much harder than the moulding because there's little room to work



true but I think with the carper quarter round would look so great

I do believe the attic way will be way harder to guess the right spot to drill and if its on an exterior wall you will have little to no room


--------------------

blankk said to fee:
btw you're a total fucking psychedelic pimp
Turtletotem said:
I want to become a sun worshipper, so next time an atheist smugly asks me where god is, I can point smugly at the sun and laugh my ass off.

Then I drive away in my solar powered piece of shit car, cool stuff man.

And then I go kill a bitch because the flaming orb in the sky told me to do so, and I don't know, oppress a few minorities here and there in the name of nuclear fusion?

Religion is fun.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Running cables through walls [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #9291603 -

I see.  I don't have hardwood floors yet, but do plan on installing some in the future.  I have already run the extension for my record player using the base boards which worked fine.

One problem with the networking stuff going down the baseboards, is I would ahve to go across a hallway, as the modem/router are in one corner of the house, and would have to go across the hallway for anything else otehr than bathrooms...but it will probably work great for my entertainment center.

peace

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Running cables through walls [Re: supra]
    #9291697 -

supra said:
One problem with the networking stuff going down the baseboards, is I would ahve to go across a hallway




transition moulding, aka T-mould, it's generally installed at
every doorway especially where you have 2 different floor
types, since you currently have carpet, I'd just tuck the
wires under it, carpet kickers are cheap to rent and worry
about the rest wen you're installing the floors

again, just a little modding to the moulding and you're good to go



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Running cables through walls [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #9291752 -

hmmm...yes, that would work great.  Since i will only be hardwood flooring my living area/hallway, i will have these on the thresholds to the bedrooms, since I am leaving carpet in those rooms.  Except for 1 since that may be built into a music studio eventually, as my wife and I like to play a few insruments and whatnot, but that is a little further down the road.  Thanks for the suggestions.

Also, my attic is quite large, I can stand and walk around in it.  Actually have 2 attics, one above the garage, that is separated from the one above the house where the air conditioner/furnace is housed.  I may eventually build in the one in the above the bedrooms and stuff to have an extra 'hidden' room to chill in.

peace

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* any electricians?
( 1 2 all )
afoaf 2,648 21 07/31/05 11:53 AM
by afoaf
* Is anybody here an electrician or do you know an electrician? RandalFlagg 978 9 09/19/05 11:48 AM
by OneMoreRobot3021
* HELP! DSL OR CABLE?
( 1 2 all )
doubledog2 2,549 23 07/17/05 03:59 PM
by doubledog2
* any electricians around here??? farva86 1,021 11 03/31/07 10:43 PM
by farva86
* electrician apprenitcship ninjacory 411 0 02/06/08 04:55 PM
by ninjacory
* pink floyd the wall live at nassau coliseum 1980 dvd **UPDATE/REVIEW** Shnezbit 2,245 19 10/03/16 01:53 PM
by orison
* Anybody had a run-in with a celebrity?
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
RandalFlagg 7,338 81 03/27/05 10:33 PM
by Vvellum
* Run Like An Antelope Edge 976 4 08/06/04 05:55 PM
by Edge

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
791 topic views. 3 members, 9 guests and 136 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.029 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 14 queries.