Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedarshan
perennial autodidact
 User Gallery

using your own compost heap
    #922168 - 10/01/02 11:38 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

i'm growing for the first time, and right now i'm at about 10% colonization in quart jars. the strain is EQ. i was wondering if i could use my own compost for a bulk substrate, assuming i added enough vermiculite. our compost is mostly from grass clippings, weeds, and other garden waste. is pH the main concern here, or should i be more concerned with nutrient content? also, is there a good tek for pasteurizing compost using standard kitchen supplies? thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
Re: using your own compost heap [Re: darshan]
    #922189 - 10/01/02 11:50 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Unfortunately, compost usually doesn't work nearly as well as straw or manure. I believe people have used grass clippings in the past, but I'm not sure if it was composted or not. Try a search. It's among the row of links at the top of the page.

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
Re: using your own compost heap [Re: mickey_rourke]
    #922194 - 10/01/02 11:52 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

The cultivators book , teaches how to make own compost for mush growing . The key is the right ingredients and enviromental conditions . :cool: 

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

OfflineXiC_clone
Calls Shots 'Round Here
 User Gallery

Loc: Earth 25XX
    #922195 - 10/01/02 11:53 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------
Don't soak your WBS dummy! There's an =>easy<= way.
For Your Health!

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
Re: using your own compost heap [Re: tripndicular]
    #922196 - 10/01/02 11:54 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Yes, but compost for mushroom cultivation is going to have straw and manure as its primary constituents. The original poster is talking about a general compost pile, not one that was specific to mushroom cultivation.

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

Loc: SItting on the Group W Be...
    #922381 - 10/01/02 01:00 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I have used, or should I say attempted to use, some good old fashioned compost for a bulk substrate. It was just made up of general yard derbis. It did not work out as well as I planed. I learned a lot of this after the fact, reading posts and other info here, so it may actually work. Here is what I found.

You will need to screen it very well first off. Get rid of all those pieces of wood and bark, they harbour all sorts of nasties that can cause contams, even though you sterilized your substrate for an hour at 400 degrees  :mad:

I would definately measure the acidity of the compost. The compost I was using was around 4.7. And if you read about casings and bulk substrates you will see mentioned adding hydrated lime. Be sure you do this. I did not. Chalk that one up to inexperience.

I really strugled to get the moisture content right. It seemed to dry out very easily. Again, things like reading and experience have helped the situation.

As it was mentioned, I don't think the compost quite had the right nutrients. Now that I think about it, I never remember seing fungus growing in the compost pile, or in the woods surrounding my parent's house. I dunno.

I think if one were to do a 50/50+ using yard compost it may work out well. When I did it, it was when I very first started cultivating 3 months ago. I just kinda went about it haphazardly, thinking that if the plants loved it, mushrooms must. It wasn't until I started doing a lot of reading when I realized some of my follies. Overall, I certainly don't think it would work as well as something like a poo tek or using something like a 3n1 or regular old storebought compost. Some if not most of my problems came from me being a newbie, and doing what newbies do best, jumping in headfirst without doing anyresearch into the matter. The only other thing I can say is try it for yourself. I'm probably going to give it another go here soon enough.

--------------------
"A study of the history of opinion is a necessary preliminary to the emancipation of the mind. I do not know which makes a man more conservative-to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past." -John Maynard Keynes

Offlinedarshan
perennial autodidact
 User Gallery

Re: using your own compost heap [Re: I_Fart_Blue]
    #923015 - 10/01/02 04:53 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

thanks for the info, everyone. after doing some more research, i've decided to also use rye grain as my bulk substrate, cased with 50/50+. i'll let you know how it turns out.

OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

Loc: SItting on the Group W Be...
    #923281 - 10/01/02 06:30 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Sure thing, I will be looking forward to your results.

--------------------
"A study of the history of opinion is a necessary preliminary to the emancipation of the mind. I do not know which makes a man more conservative-to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past." -John Maynard Keynes

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation