Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSurwinMaxawow
TONKA TOY
Male User Gallery

Working wonders with an electric blanket!
    #915706 - 09/28/02 08:15 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Hey fellow growers. I just wanted to share my experience using an electric blanket to heat up my rubbermaid terrarium keeping the tempurature a nice 85 degrees or so. I have perilte in the terrarium too and whenever I take off the lid to check the growth, it feels like a humid rainforest inside it! A perfect environment to keep my fungi happy and thriving! It never gets too hot either. Its really amazing how constant and perfect the temperature has stayed all along. Its almost maintenance free!
What I have done is wrapped the blanket around the whole container, even under it on the bottom....this heats up the peritite and I think adds to the humidity as well.
But it has never gotten too hot. So this has become an easy way for me to keep the temeratures nice through the colder months.
I hope this info can be helpful to all of you as well.
Peace!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineilikeshrooms
Re: Working wonders with an electric blanket! [Re: SurwinMaxawow]
    #915716 - 09/28/02 08:19 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

that sounds like a great idea. I'm not sure what all the other experienced cultivators might think, but if it works for you that's all that matters.

OfflineUncleCavebear
Dirty ClothesHamper

#915765 - 09/28/02 08:36 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I think you're going to want your terrarium about 10-15 degrees cooler than that for optimal growth. The mid-eigthies are good for incubation, but not fruiting. All in all, though, that's a pretty good idea.

--------------------
When I was a kid my favorite relative was Uncle Caveman.
After school we'd all go play in his cave, and every once in
a while he would eat one of us. It wasn't until later that I
found out that Uncle Caveman was a bear.

Offlinealienated
contaminationgrower

Loc: kali-forn-I-A
    #916030 - 09/28/02 10:38 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

awesome, i've got 2 rubbermaid containers, but i was doing the alient incubator thing with them, but i have too many jars going right now to birth into just 1 container, was just wondering... what do you ahve it setting on? i'd imagine the bottom (if on like... carpet) would overheat with the blanket. just wonderin', if you could answer that'd be cool.

thnx.

michael

--------------------
-m.

I dont even grow these things... I just post for this guy that knows a guy, who's sisters boyfriend dumped about 2 months ago.

OfflineSurwinMaxawow
TONKA TOY
Male User Gallery

Re: Working wonders with an electric blanket! [Re: alienated]
    #916208 - 09/29/02 01:32 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

alienated: This particular blanket is kind of old. I have it on the highest setting, but it has never really gotten very hot, even on the bottom of the terrarium. It just stays a nice warm. Its nothing like one of those theraputic heating pads which can get quite hot.
I dont know about any other blankets which are newer and might get hotter, but this one seems to have been designed just right for the job. I would imagine that most electric blankets are made similer though.

UncleCavebear: you are right..... they are still incubating in the jars with the filter discs on the lids. But I dont have to worry about them drying out with them being in the in the container which is always a risk when your using the micron filter discs.

But let me tell you all.....I am using quart size jars with whole grain rye, and DAMN, that is mycellium is growing like WILD FIRE!  I have never seen it grow so fast before. :laugh:

Offlinegoldtop
Wild Spore

Loc: Sydney, Australia
    #916286 - 09/29/02 02:49 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Newspaper headline:

"Illegal Mushroom grower burns down house with electric blanket. Growing instructions found on the Internet. President George.W. Bush orders top level investigation"

Please be careful.

--------------------
"I want it all, I want it all, I want it all, and I want it NOW!" - Queen

Offlinealienated
contaminationgrower

Loc: kali-forn-I-A
Re: Working wonders with an electric blanket! [Re: goldtop]
    #916296 - 09/29/02 03:00 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

LOL! perfect reply. anyways, thanks for the info, and i hope it works for ya. post some pics :wink:

-michael

--------------------
-m.

I dont even grow these things... I just post for this guy that knows a guy, who's sisters boyfriend dumped about 2 months ago.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order