Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineLSAuser
Full figuredwomen rule!
Loc: Florida
Is early mycellum growth gray and translucent?
    #907355 - 09/25/02 03:35 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Last night, 3 days post innoculation I noticed in two of the jars at one point of the 4 points there is a thin patch and its so thin its translucent I can see the substrate thru. also some of the mycellum is sticking to the glass, exactly where the spores landed from the syringe. I doubt its cobweb though, but time will tell. Was the same applicable for you as well?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineignuF
Monster Mycologist

Loc: Wonderland
Re: Is early mycellum growth gray and translucent? [Re: LSAuser]
    #907755 - 09/25/02 07:00 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Give it a couple of days, it should thicken up  to a solid white like so :smile:

Notice how the edges (new growth) are a little thinner though.  Eventually you will get this stuff (rizomorphic) that looks like roots!  This is gooooood!  Hope this helps you some.  If not, I tried :smile:  Good luck to you bro!

Peace :laugh: ignuF

--------------------
All the above information is for microscopic research only! 

Life is short so make a dent in the world so people can tell you were here!

Edited by ignuF (09/25/02 07:20 PM)

OfflineLSAuser
Full figuredwomen rule!
Re: Is early mycellum growth gray and translucent? [Re: ignuF]
    #907966 - 09/25/02 08:29 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

yea man thanks so much. I see that growth in jar A+ and D and I think a speck in jar B+ maybe in jar C the verm is too thick or I didnt push the syringe deep enough? can mycellum travel thru the dry verm if it was innocculated there?

OfflineignuF
Monster Mycologist

#908043 - 09/25/02 09:05 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

When you inoculated the spore solution should have traveled through the verm. layer.  Notice in my pic the growth goes all the way down my jar.  I simply shoot the solution down the side of the glass for this effect.  Spores collect on the cake all the way down to the bottom.  :smile:  I prefer this as it seems to speed things along and the culture grows from inoc. point to inoc. point.  Instead of having to grow out and down to the bottom of the cake.  My cultures germinate from top to bottom of the cake,  The top and bottom are normally the first to colonize completly and then the sides shortly after.  But enough rambling to aswer your question I would say be patient.  It could take a week or so but if you put spores in they should germinate given air and moisture.  As long as you didn't pack your cakes/substrate tightly and left them loose you will see growth. :smile:  Patient is the key but a hard one to hold onto.

Peace :laugh: ignuF

--------------------

Invisiblematts
matts

[Re: ignuF]
    #908074 - 09/25/02 09:23 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

OfflineignuF
Monster Mycologist

Re: Is early mycellum growth gray and translucent? [Re: matts]
    #908096 - 09/25/02 09:34 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, food they need. I thought that was somthing everyone knew. All I was saying was the solution probably made it to the cake as long as the mix was not tampted down.

--------------------

OfflineLSAuser
Full figuredwomen rule!
Re: Is early mycellum growth gray and translucent? [Re: ignuF]
    #908352 - 09/25/02 11:32 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

"When you inoculated the spore solution should have traveled through the verm. layer."

how many CC did you use? unless you use like 2cc per hole, theres not enough liquid to drip all the way down. I inserted less than 1/2 cc per hole, more like 1/3cc and it dripped about one centimeter below the dry verm and just stayed there clinging to the side and substrate due to surface tension.

" It could take a week or so but if you put spores in they should germinate given air and moisture."

a week for what? its been almost 4 days and they germinated yesterday, I checked again and noticed its now mostly opaque at the center and twice as large  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: does it accelerate in growth, such as doubles in size every 12 hours or grows linearly such as takes over a centimeter of substrate a day?

" you didn't pack your cakes/substrate tightly and left them loose you will see growth"

I didnt pack em at all but the fineness of the verm doesnt leave very much air :frown:

"Patient is the key but a hard one to hold onto."

heh no kidding. time sure crawls when your waiting for nature but time flies when your not looking foreward to something such as a test or exam  :crazy:

"they must relatively be close to another spore."

they should be, but once some spores germinate, dont they reproduce by themselves and in turn, their offspring germinates? I was thinking asexual reproduction or mitosis or celluar division

Invisiblematts
matts

[Re: LSAuser]
    #908450 - 09/26/02 12:05 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

OfflineLSAuser
Full figuredwomen rule!
Re: Is early mycellum growth gray and translucent? [Re: matts]
    #908645 - 09/26/02 01:15 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

how thick? two inches? if the verm can stop mycellum it sure as hell can stop contams :laugh: thats its purpose

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
    #908673 - 09/26/02 01:26 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

My buddy recently innoculated some BRF jars with cambodian spores. In all the jars, the first growth looked like cobweb. He was real pissed, but he just let em sit, and BAM what looked to be cobweb turned into strong mycelium growth. Plus cobweb grows real fast, much faster than mycelium.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation