Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Loc: in your house :)
Homemade Glovebox? Minimum CFM???
    #862239 - 09/03/02 05:26 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Was considering making a homemade glovebox for work on agar culture and was curious what the minimum cfm total needed to be in a hepa filter setup. Was going to have 2 100+cfm pc fans blowing into the box? Is there a rule of thumb on how much cfm is enuff or not?

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Homemade Glovebox? Minimum CFM??? [Re: socratesmind]
    #862374 - 09/03/02 07:09 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

And what filter do you want to use?

If you are going to use a HEPA filter, then I can tell you that a computer fan is much too weak for it.

Read http://shroomery.org/faq/faq.php?display=faq&nr=163&catnr=8&prog=1&lang=en .

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Re: Homemade Glovebox? Minimum CFM??? [Re: Anno]
    #862899 - 09/04/02 04:45 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Could i just buy a small hepa filter that has the fan included and just include the output into my glovebox??? Just looking for a cheap alternative either with or without hepa. Was going to use this glovebox to experiment on agar cultures and to innoculate jars. Any suggestrions are great.

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

OfflineLarrythescaryrex
teardrop on the fire
Male User Gallery

Loc: further down the spiral
Re: Homemade Glovebox? Minimum CFM??? [Re: Anno]
    #863940 - 09/04/02 03:58 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I respectfully disagree anno. They make large 12V computer fans, and I used that for 2 years with a hepa filter in a glovebox.

Let me look and see if I can find a linkie to the type of fan and I will post it.

--------------------
RIP Acidic_Sloth

Sunset_Mission said:
"larry the scary rex
verily scary when thoroughly vexed
invoke the shadows and dust, cast a hex
mercifully massacring memories masterfully
relocate from Ur to 8th density and become a cosmic bully
mulder and scully couldn't decipher his glyphs
invoke the shadows and dust, smoke infernal spliffs"
April 24th 2011

OfflineLarrythescaryrex
teardrop on the fire
Male User Gallery

Loc: further down the spiral
Re: Homemade Glovebox? Minimum CFM??? [Re: Larrythescaryrex]
    #863951 - 09/04/02 04:01 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

radio shack link

This fan is what I used and the box it came in said computer cooling fan... but I guess it isn't exactly a computer fan... :confused:

--------------------
RIP Acidic_Sloth

Sunset_Mission said:
"larry the scary rex
verily scary when thoroughly vexed
invoke the shadows and dust, cast a hex
mercifully massacring memories masterfully
relocate from Ur to 8th density and become a cosmic bully
mulder and scully couldn't decipher his glyphs
invoke the shadows and dust, smoke infernal spliffs"
April 24th 2011

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

#864197 - 09/04/02 06:14 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Yours is an 85CFM model and how big was the filter? measurements? Cuz heres my model( Future fan for glovebox ) and its like 119cfm? I was thinking of also using 2 of those models since i have an extra powersupply.and that wouldnt be sufficient?

--------------------

InvisibleShaw

#864205 - 09/04/02 06:16 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

i agree. If he has 100cfm, it would provide some flow to the glovebox. it's not ideal obviousle, but a guy on TFF uses a 3m dust mask and tiny computer fan with good results.

--------------------

Edited by Shaw (09/04/02 06:18 PM)

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Re: Homemade Glovebox? Minimum CFM??? [Re: Shaw]
    #864222 - 09/04/02 06:27 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

So if i double up the fans topping 200cfm it will create enuff posetive pressure in the box to make it a pretty decently sterile enviroment? Also after everythings in do i need to presterilize with lysol or will that not be good if i have an alcohol flame in there??? Dont know the pre-sterilize pre-work procedures please school me to this.

--------------------

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #864383 - 09/04/02 07:57 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Well, I was talking about a real hepa filter and a hood.

Offlinefrancisco
Richman Sporeman
Loc: USA
    #864643 - 09/05/02 02:18 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Here's my cheap alternative to hepa and it works great.
I took one of those big air pumps for aquariums and put it in a coffee can.make a small hole for the tubing and seal with silicone caulk.The same for electric cord. I use two of micron magic filter disk over the top of the can.In my glovebox, i put the airstone in a jar of distilled water with hydrogen peroxide(10ml per liter).Overkill but if any thing does get through the filter the peroxidated water should kill it.Let it run 24/7.Since trying this setup i've only lost a few jars(6 mos.)less than 20 bucks to build.

--------------------
Well...Maybe just a little.

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
Re: Homemade Glovebox? Minimum CFM??? [Re: francisco]
    #864822 - 09/05/02 05:11 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

doesn't exactly apply to a glovebox, and applying positive pressure.. heh

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Re: Homemade Glovebox? Minimum CFM??? [Re: Raadt]
    #864845 - 09/05/02 05:20 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

But with a posetive pressure glovebox would one still need to presterilize with some lysol before working or no? And with 2 119cfm fans i'll have 238cfm which should be enuff for a small hepa filter in a box, at least i think so.

--------------------

InvisibleShaw

#865047 - 09/05/02 07:11 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

you can if you want. just don't trap the fumes in there and cause a flash fire. Not that i'd really do any damage.

--------------------

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Re: Homemade Glovebox? Minimum CFM??? [Re: Shaw]
    #865363 - 09/05/02 10:59 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Well with my newly aquired hepa filter i found today luckily only for $5 :smile: Its described as an exhaust hepa filter replacement cartridge and measures like 8" by 3" and i think those high powered fans should suffice :/  But i was shocked when i saw it was only $5 :smile: 

--------------------

OfflineCyberius
Mad Science inprogress

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Can...
    #901782 - 09/23/02 12:58 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

For my glovebox, I looked around at thrift stores for an older HEPA-equipped air cleaner. I found a Bionaire, for $5, which needed a new filter, which I purchased for $20 or something like that from Home dePot. I mounted it onto a custom box I built.

When you're going to be pushing air through a filter you have to keep in mind that the design of the fan (and not necesarily the power consumption) is key to be able to move air past static pressure. An axial or muffin fan, similar to the kind in your computer is real shitty for pushing air past a filter ... a centrifugal blower is much better at this, different design. An example of a smaller centrifugal blower is built into the Bionaire Air Cleaners.

Thrift stores in my home town just kick ass when it comes to mad science equipment. I recently built everthing (except the lights) to grow MJ from junk from a thrift store. Worked great.

--------------------
----
At what point does one stop doing and resume being?

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Re: Homemade Glovebox? Minimum CFM??? [Re: Cyberius]
    #904543 - 09/24/02 12:51 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I understand about the thrift stores being gold.  Cheap alcohol lamp can be made from an old oil lamp with a wick and just throw in some denatured alcohol :smile:  So I guess if i want a nice clean glovebox i'm gonna have to shellout money for a flowhood :frown:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates