Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
buying a shitty/cheap guitar to learn with
    #8978682 -

bad idea? will it make the learning process harder itself?

just curious..


--------------------
       

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: buying a shitty/cheap guitar to learn with [Re: dwtk]
    #8978777 -

No it won't. It's not an extremely bad idea either, although borrowing a decent guitar is a better idea, but not always an option. This way, you can see if it sticks with you and what you're looking for in the more expensive guitar you're bound to acquire one day anyway.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: buying a shitty/cheap guitar to learn with [Re: koraks]
    #8979182 -

Trust me .. buy a shitty guitar.. i'm not talking falls apart shitty but something "moderate" that way if you give up you didn't just spend $1000 dollars on something you wont even use anymore.. i went from a $150 ibanez to a $1000 jackson.. after 2 or so years

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: buying a shitty/cheap guitar to learn with [Re: dwtk]
    #8979552 -

Not a bad idea at all. If you learn on an acoustic guitar, an electric will seem ridiculously easier to play. Acoustics build callouses and finger strength better.
There's a thing called the Gripmaster, which is like a small exercise tool for your fingers. Its helped a lot of my students build up their finger strength in the beginning.

If you need any tips on where to begin let me know! :grin:


--------------------
Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing. -Paul Gilbert

I don't know.  I never smoked AstroTurf.  -Tug McGraw, after being asked if he preferred grass or artificial turf

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: buying a shitty/cheap guitar to learn with [Re: Moodion]
    #8979591 -

My first guitar was an electric Squire Stratocaster (in a package with small amp, cables, bag, strap, picks, lesson book). I think the price was $350-400 and it has proven to be very reliable. If you take that route you'll likely end up with a guitar made in Asia somewhere so get a guitar tech at the store to look it over and give you their opinion on it. Some can be of higher or lower quality, so take the time to inquire. With an electric you can also buy new pickups, machineheads, etc. down the road should you feel the need.

Songsterr - Awesome site for learning different popular songs.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: buying a shitty/cheap guitar to learn with [Re: WScott]
    #8979604 -

WScottsdale said:
My first guitar was an electric Squire Stratocaster (in a package with small amp, cables, bag, strap, picks, lesson book). I think the price was $350-400 and it has proven to be very reliable. If you take that route you'll likely end up with a guitar made in Asia somewhere so get a guitar tech at the store to look it over and give you their opinion on it. Some can be of higher or lower quality, so take the time to inquire. With an electric you can also buy new pickups, machineheads, etc. down the road should you feel the need.

Songsterr - Awesome site for learning different popular songs.



I don't wanna be a dick, but Squire's are terrible. Its a roll of the dice if you buy one. For 200 more dollars you can get something like an LTD MH-400. Its just not worth it.
A friend's Squire became so warped that it was beyond repair...and this happened only 5 months after he bought it. Even the standard Fenders are declining in quality recently.

If you're going electric, I'd definitely suggest an ESP LTD or an Ibanez.


--------------------
Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing. -Paul Gilbert

I don't know.  I never smoked AstroTurf.  -Tug McGraw, after being asked if he preferred grass or artificial turf

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: buying a shitty/cheap guitar to learn with [Re: Moodion]
    #8979713 -

Starting off with a cheap guitar is a great idea.  I've seen several of my friends get so excited about learning to play the guitar that they spend a fortune on a really nice guitar, an amp and a bunch of effects pedals.  And then they give up because its too hard.  Of course you can return or sell most of that gear back to the store but you're still going to lose a pretty significant amount of money.

You can actually get a pretty decent guitar for really cheap.  Ibanez makes a lot of really nice quality guitars for very good prices.  Especially if you get one used.  If you get an electric guitar, my advice is not to get any effects pedals until you can actually play and have some idea what you're doing.  If anything buy an amp that comes with some effects built in.

Just make sure the guitar you get stays in tune.  Its impossible to learn to play if your guitar is not in tune.  When I started I got an epiphone les paul that came with the shittiest tuning heads ever.  It definitely improved my ear for tuning, seeing as how I had to tune the damn thing every five minutes.  I ended up bringing the guitar back to the store to show them that the tuning heads were defective so they'd replace them for me, but they said they weren't broken. I wanted them to give me a set of new ones but they said they'd have to charge me.  So I brought my business someplace else and had the tuning heads replaced with a set that weren't useless so I could actually start learning to play the fucking guitar.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: buying a shitty/cheap guitar to learn with [Re: Moodion]
    #8979729 -

I got a 150 range fender, first guitar.  It has a steep inclination (makes it really hard for barre cords) and doesn't sound all that great.  I'm restringing it with some elixirs here in a few days so maybe that will make her sound better.  In the end I enjoyed it for what I spent though.  Look on craigs list dot com for a deal.


--------------------
Trade Prints Trade Needles

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Buying a Guitar
( 1 2 all )
Comfortably_Numb 5,178 33 12/07/04 05:24 PM
by Jim
* Learning Guitar
( 1 2 all )
ChopperDave 5,787 32 10/21/03 12:10 PM
by fireworks_god
* electric guitar players.,., get in here (help)
( 1 2 all )
XUL 3,907 23 08/07/06 01:36 PM
by stefan
* low price guitars?
( 1 2 all )
Anonymous 4,193 22 12/04/03 11:56 AM
by SJR
* Man i wanted that guitar freddurgan 839 9 04/28/05 07:10 PM
by Twirling
* Guitars
( 1 2 3 all )
Infrared 6,129 47 02/23/04 05:37 PM
by temperance
* My New Guitar!
( 1 2 all )
Osker246 3,356 22 06/25/04 02:13 PM
by toad857
* Which guitar? Event_Horizon 938 10 06/18/04 03:06 AM
by Event_Horizon

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
759 topic views. 2 members, 8 guests and 172 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.024 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 14 queries.