Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

In the market for a dehydrator - advice
    #8933457 - 09/15/08 01:33 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

So my old Snackmaster died on me. I had a full tray of shrooms and another batch waiting. I check Target, and they have none in stock, though they are listed on the website. I bow my head and go to Walmart. They have one Nesco model, $35 bucks. I think to myself, it's probably cheap, but what the heck, it's just an element and a fan right?

The unit weighed about 5 lbs. The plastic was flimsy. The element is now located on the top, and regardless of efficiency, it certainly allows them to minimize the material used. I bring it home, load up the trays and turn it on. 20 minutes later, it's dead!

So I get my money back, and start looking around online. Nesco makes several other models, the Snackmaster Pro (about $80) and the Gardenmaster Pro (just over $100). Both have variable temp control, but I've got to ask myself, if their lower model is now a cheap piece of junk, what am I going to get for more money? Another unit I'm curious about is the Excalibur 2900, which runs just over $200. Price isn't that big a deal, I just want something that's half decent and won't die on me in short order.

So, if you've got a recently purchased Nesco dehydrator, or an Excalibur dehydrator, I'm very curious about how they perform. Any other brands? Help me out please!

--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love truth awareness peace

"The object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." - Gilbert Keith Chesterton

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDamion5050
Mush Doctor
Male User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Translation ! Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: In the market for a dehydrator - advice [Re: Rahz]
    #8933473 - 09/15/08 01:36 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

Re: In the market for a dehydrator - advice [Re: Damion5050]
    #8933485 - 09/15/08 01:39 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

So the Snackmaster Pro is still quality?

That's good to know.

--------------------
rahz

"The object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." - Gilbert Keith Chesterton

Invisiblenoobieshroomie
Back again
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Not Too Sure Flag
Re: In the market for a dehydrator - advice [Re: Damion5050]
    #8933488 - 09/15/08 01:39 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

take your old racks turn a fan so it blows up stick the racks on it ,thats what i do works great for me but thats my opinon

--------------------
AMU

Best Thread Ever
CapZilla said:
not sure what GE and FAE are but i should probably get some.

Citric said:
Your signature is wrong on colonization temps!

GOOD JUDGMENT COMES FROM EXPERIENCE
EXPERIENCE COMES FROM BAD JUDGMENT

ROOM TEMP 70-75 IS BEST FOR COLONIZATION
Thank you mycochef

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

Re: In the market for a dehydrator - advice [Re: noobieshroomie]
    #8933509 - 09/15/08 01:45 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I was just sitting here devising a plan to hold me over. I was thinking fan + cardboard box. :awesome:

Thanks for the tip.

--------------------
rahz

Invisiblear393
old timer
Male
Loc: VT
    #8933738 - 09/15/08 02:31 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

the FD-60/61/70 from Nesco are all good IMHO (I have abused a FD60 for a long time and it continues to work for me)

OfflineBoris
Viking Warrior, of Valour
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: TX. Flag
Re: In the market for a dehydrator - advice [Re: ar393]
    #8933756 - 09/15/08 02:36 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I got the one from Wal-mart you said died on you. Use it allot (Not just on shrooms) and its still working for me. Perhaps you just got a rare bad one... ? <Shrug>

--------------------
AMU

Terence McKenna Said:
"We have to create culture, don't watch TV, don't read magazines, don't even listen to NPR. Create your own roadshow. The nexus of space and time where you are now is the most immediate sector of your universe, and if you're worrying about Michael Jackson or Bill Clinton or somebody else, then you are disempowered, you're giving it all away to icons, icons which are maintained by an electronic media so that you want to dress like X or have lips like Y. This is shit-brained, this kind of thinking. That is all cultural diversion, and what is real is you and your friends and your associations, your highs, your orgasms, your hopes, your plans, your fears. And we are told 'no', we're unimportant, we're peripheral. 'Get a degree, get a job, get a this, get a that.' And then you're a player, you don't want to even play in that game. You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that's being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world."

OfflineFUPAking
Stranger
Re: In the market for a dehydrator - advice [Re: Boris]
    #8933785 - 09/15/08 02:44 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Dont dehydrators take away the potency?

-The King of Fupa

Edited by FUPAking (09/15/08 02:44 PM)

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

Re: In the market for a dehydrator - advice [Re: FUPAking]
    #8933850 - 09/15/08 02:56 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

FUPAking said:

-The King of Fupa

That was conventional wisdom at one time, but a lot of people have questioned it. Mushroom tea is boiled at 212 and is still potent. I measured temps in my old dehydrator at 150F, and it didn't produce weak shrooms. Still, I would guess that heat has some effect accelerating the breakdown process, though not as pronounced as people once believed.

I just ordered the Snackmaster Pro, with a variable thermostat. :shrug: I'll keep temps down since I can.

--------------------
rahz

Offlinemisos
A wandering soul
 User Gallery
Loc: Elsewhere.
    #8933907 - 09/15/08 03:09 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Just use a fan. I get mine CRACKER dry in a couple days.A dehydrator is nice, but not worth the money when I have free air movement.

--------------------
"If I had a single wish, I would have every single human on this planet see this natural world the way I see it; the beauty in such simple things such as a fallen tree that is covered in moss and that has new trees growing from it. To some, fallen trees are ugly. But in reality, it is the circle of life at its finest. This is a beautiful world, its time that we recognize that before its all gone."

OfflineThe Cake Guy
Bad Ass
 User Gallery

Loc: WHERE IN THE WORLD IS THE...
Re: In the market for a dehydrator - advice [Re: misos]
    #8934023 - 09/15/08 03:29 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

That was conventional wisdom at one time, but a lot of people have questioned it. Mushroom tea is boiled at 212 and is still potent. I measured temps in my old dehydrator at 150F, and it didn't produce weak shrooms. Still, I would guess that heat has some effect accelerating the breakdown process, though not as pronounced as people once believed.

I just ordered the Snackmaster Pro, with a variable thermostat.  I'll keep temps down since I can.

Where did you get it and how much was it??  Also how many trays does it hold?  If you would post how it works for you once you do use it I would appreciate it.

--------------------

OfflineCosmicFunGuy
ॐconsciousnessॐ
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ∞
    #8934366 - 09/15/08 04:25 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Rahz said:
Quote:

FUPAking said:

-The King of Fupa

I just ordered the Snackmaster Pro, with a variable thermostat. :shrug: I'll keep temps down since I can.

EDIT: i'm retarded i never read the original question. just posted a pro-dehydrator usage rant.... now that i have  read the actual question at hand... i have no experience with other brands, but a friend recently bought a brand new nesco probably 2 months ago and it's been getting some solid usage without hangups. i think you just got a random dud.

Quote:

my original reply:

been using nescos for 2 years now, since i started mine has since grown to handle 24 trays with both top and bottom units. the old models had the fan and temp control on bottom, while most of the newer ones are on top. both have a 12 tray capacity. with mine however, i do 24 trays stacked between the two and set it in a corner on an old milk crate. I did cut slits in the side of a few trays to have a vent for the hot air to escape as with the bottom controlled units the top has a vent and vice versa for the top controlled ones. i obviously adjust the size according to the harvest. I always keep both controls at 95 degrees. my setup is rather large and impractical for most, but a single 4 tray nesco works just as well... it's what convinced me on how well they work.

I can't come close to listing everything my dehydrator is used for to show you how often it's used, but just for an idea of how frequently mine gets used....

i use my dehydrator for things like peppers from my garden. Herbs from my garden and the wild work great with a few exceptions. I dry extra morels that i can't eat in the spring. Trametes versicolor (turkey tail) I dehydrate, grind and save for teas. With all 24 trays packed to the brim with psilocybin containing mushrooms ( I've tried with cubes, pan subbs, pan cyans, psi cyans, azures, and caerulipes) it'll dry the load cracker dry in 36-48 hours (a little longer if you have some monsters). each tray holds about 300 grams wet (usually about a dry oz, with the exception of the big ones) making mine easily capable of drying a lb and a half every 2 days (more if i condense them once they've dried for a day and shrunk a little.) obviously you'd be crazy to need this kind of constant capabilities for cubes. but there has been a few times i've filled it with unexpected suprises that have kindly supplied me with abundance, giving me more time to focus on my gardens,  edibles and exotics.

it works great never noticed a difference in potency, not even between the same isolations compared between the dehydrator, desiccant drying and old fashioned room temperature fan drying on a screen or flat surface. this was determined with many uses, by a select group of experienced psychonauts.

as i've said both units i've purchased used and have been used extremely heavily, yet they work great. i do take the dehydrator units apart every month or so and clean it with some electronic duster as it gathers a ton of dust.

my advice  -  try it for yourself, if you dislike it or stop growing sell me the dehydrator for super cheap  :yesnod:

--------------------

♫ ♪ In the garden of many fields, there is no me or you. There is no right or wrong. There is no up or down. There is no black or white. Everyone is the plow man. Everyone is the seed. Everyone harvests and everyone yields. In the garden of many fields, everyone is one with one love and one love is one with everyone. ♪ ♫
lyrics from: Transglobal Underground - Eyeway Souljah (from Psychic Karaoke)

Edited by CosmicFunGuy (09/15/08 04:33 PM)

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

Re: In the market for a dehydrator - advice [Re: CosmicFunGuy]
    #8967792 - 09/22/08 11:33 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

OK, so I bought the Snackmaster Pro and it just arrived.

They trays from the old unit still fit perfectly. I also bought 2 regular trays, and two "detachable" trays, so now I've got 13 trays! The detachable trays, the mesh can be removed from the ring, so those monster shrooms could be dehydrated without popping the caps off.

Anyway, the unit looks solid, the trays are built well, motor unit is heavy. Temp setting goes from 95-160. Seems like a good purchase.

Edit: Unit was purchased from Nesco.com for $80. The 2 pack add on trays were $15 each.

--------------------
rahz

Edited by Rahz (09/22/08 12:05 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals