Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
2009 backpacking journey (USA), looking for route and hostel advice.
    #8928502 -

Hey all, I've been casually planning something like this for a while now but am starting to get more serious about it now that I've got a solid job that will finance it. Basically, I want to backpack across the USA next year, starting on the west coast (Oregon, specifically).

So far I've been thinking about a loose itinerary that would look something like this, starting in June or earlier:

Ashland OR -> San Francisco CA, stay up to a week
San Francisco CA -> Los Angeles CA, stay a few days
Los Angeles CA -> San Diego CA, stay up to a week
San Diego CA -> Las Vegas NV, stay a few days
Las Vegas NV -> Grand Canyon UT, stay a few days
Grand Canyon UT -> Denver CO, stay a few days
Denver CO -> Chicago IL, stay up to a week
Chicago IL -> New Orleans LA / Bayou area, stay up to a week
New Orleans -> Miami FL, stay up to a week
Miami FL -> New York City NY, stay indefinitely

I was initially planning on buying a motorcycle and traveling that way, but I'm not sure anymore that I can afford that, so I'll probably be catching cheap buses and trains and/or hitchhiking. I'll be sleeping in hostels (or under the stars) along the way, and will look for a sublet to rent once I'm in NYC.

If anyone has any recommendations as to places I should visit, cheap hostels I could stay in, or even offers for me to stay on their couch for a night or two that'd be ultra-appreciated. I'm a wilderness enthusiast and really into traveling off-the-beaten path, but also enjoy inner city culture. I'll likely be traveling alone, but there is a possibility that some of my like-minded friends and family may accompany me for some or all of the way.


--------------------
NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 2009 backpacking journey (USA), looking for route and hostel advice. [Re: anarKhan]
    #8928529 -

PDU has inspired us all.  After reading his post I have similar plans to yours, although I plan to plan little.  I want to just get gear and money and see where the wind blows me, but if you find any good resources on backpacking let me know so I can read it and figure out the ropes before hand.


--------------------
Trade Prints Trade Needles

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 2009 backpacking journey (USA), looking for route and hostel advice. [Re: Crabmeat]
    #8928570 -

Yeah PDU's thread was definitely an inspiration!

Anyway, I've been thinking, if there's a significant number of people here with similar plans, maybe it'd be worthwhile to coordinate and get a Shroomery caravan going or something. Anyone interested right off the bat?


--------------------
NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Anyone ever backpack around Europe?
( 1 2 all )
Help on the Way 3,240 36 05/25/06 08:50 AM
by Help on the Way
* Backpacking across Europe eh
( 1 2 all )
discostoo 3,379 20 01/05/08 12:02 AM
by machination
* Backpacking Ego Death 988 12 07/09/08 05:45 PM
by impgl
* Backpacking Across Europe for a Month
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
OneMoreRobot3021 7,572 107 07/16/06 05:34 PM
by Penguarky Tunguin
* Anybody ever see "Hostel"?
( 1 2 all )
RandalFlagg 2,213 24 05/21/06 02:37 PM
by Help on the Way
* backpacking through europe foureyes 1,066 11 03/28/07 09:49 AM
by SillyButtons
* backpacking europe....advice? *DELETED* failbot999 896 6 08/25/07 02:27 PM
by champ
* any backpackers in the site?
( 1 2 3 all )
kadakuda 3,720 43 08/14/04 03:20 PM
by Mixomatosis

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
452 topic views. 6 members, 13 guests and 122 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.021 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 14 queries.