Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |  [ show all ]
Re: Palin Rumors [Re: Gastronomicus]
    #8892401 -

Quote:
Gastronomicus said:


Media's been pretty pro-Palin from what I've seen.




Dude......


--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Palin Rumors [Re: lonestar2004]
    #8892434 -

Must be another Australian.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Palin Rumors [Re: Seuss]
    #8894194 -

yes she is a nutty religious cunt

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Palin Rumors [Re: KingOftheThing]
    #8894856 -

> yes she is a nutty religious cunt

As long as she doesn't try to legislate/force her nutty religious beliefs upon me, I don't care what she believes.  Contrary to popular belief, it is possible to feel one way towards an issue but act another way within the office one represents.  For example, I am completely against abortion in almost all cases, but I would never support legislation that restricts the right of person to choose what they do with their own body (at the federal level).


--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Palin Rumors [Re: Seuss]
    #8895231 -

You're not a politician, though.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Palin Rumors [Re: Redstorm]
    #8895264 -

Apparently, she might not be one either.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Palin Rumors [Re: zappaisgod]
    #8895272 -

I think it's about as common sense as it gets that she is one.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Palin Rumors [Re: Redstorm]
    #8895341 -

I dunno, she came to it rather late in life, no law degree, frontier state, challenged the party hierarchy.  Whereas all these other guys are career politicians from almost the get go.  Obama and Biden, certainly, McCain probably.  But Palin?  I think it kind of just happened.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Palin Rumors [Re: zappaisgod]
    #8895410 -

She's young, though. McCain didn't become a legislator until he was in his 40's, Biden started pretty damn young (30), and Obama started about the same age Palin is now (44).

She's got plenty of time to get as weaselly as the rest of Washington. Of course, I hope she doesn't b/c we have enough weasels as it is, but she has the time.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Palin Rumors [Re: Redstorm]
    #8895529 -

Obama was a politician right out of law school as was Biden.  Community organizers are politicians.  Neither one of them ever was really anything else.  Palin, on the other hand, did not start out with the idea that she would be a pol.  I don't know about McCain.  We seem to be wheeling around just what we think a politician is.  I don't necessarily think it begins with an election.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Palin Rumors [Re: zappaisgod]
    #8895699 -

zappaisgod said:
I dunno, she came to it rather late in life, no law degree, frontier state, challenged the party hierarchy.  Whereas all these other guys are career politicians from almost the get go.  Obama and Biden, certainly, McCain probably.  But Palin?  I think it kind of just happened.



Hiring lobbyists to win $27 million in federal, tax-payer money for her little town of 7000 people? I don't think she's a career politician of the same scope as federal entities like Obama, Biden, and McCain, but that doesn't mean she isn't a classic one, on the scale that she was on.


--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Palin Rumors [Re: fireworks_god]
    #8895891 -

Isn't that what she is supposed to do to represent her constituents?  I'm just saying I don't think she set out to be a politician when she started, like Biden and Barry did.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Palin Rumors [Re: zappaisgod]
    #8896454 -

zappaisgod said:
Isn't that what she is supposed to do to represent her constituents?



Are you saying she should apply the same proportion of federal handouts when all of the country is her constituents? :strokebeard:


--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Palin Rumors [Re: fireworks_god]
    #8896579 -

Huh?  It was her job to get as much money back from the Feds for her town.  Pay particular attention to the word "back".  Unlike the useless shitbags from NY who never get us a decent return back for what we send.  Maybe, as a national figure, she'll work not to take it away in the first place.  We know damn well that isn't Barry's modus operandi.  He wants the federal government to have it all.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Palin Rumors [Re: zappaisgod]
    #8896642 -

zappaisgod said:
Huh?  It was her job to get as much money back from the Feds for her town.  Pay particular attention to the word "back".



I thought it was the responsibility of the state's delegation to handle apportionment of federal money, and not in the job description of a mayor. Beyond that, are you suggesting that a town of 7,000 people really gave $27 million in federal taxes in order to get it back?
:sherlock:
Well, while it is possible that they paid that much in taxes in some period of time, why should they get it all back and not the rest of the country?

I personally think that there shouldn't be any federal income tax at all, but someone who, instead of using political influence to stop them from taking it in the first place, used it to receive a disproportionate percentage of it back, not to mention endorsing the bridge to nowhere while campaigning for governor, and now runs a national campaign as a reformer who stands against proportioning federal tax money back to pet projects and lies about her support for the most famous pork of them all, definitely fits the standard definition of a career politician to me. :lol:


--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Palin Rumors [Re: fireworks_god]
    #8896655 -

> I thought it was the responsibility of the state's delegation to handle apportionment of federal money, and not in the job description of a mayor.

You thought wrong.  Don't feel bad, I do it all the time as well.  (It is the job of an elected official to represent their constituents to the best of their ability.  Look at the mayors of big cities such as Denver, New York, LA, etc... they may represent more people than live in some of the smaller states, and they do what they can to help their city... including getting as much federal money as possible.)


--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Palin Rumors [Re: fireworks_god]
    #8896797 -

fireworks_god said:
zappaisgod said:
Huh?  It was her job to get as much money back from the Feds for her town.  Pay particular attention to the word "back".



I thought it was the responsibility of the state's delegation to handle apportionment of federal money, and not in the job description of a mayor. Beyond that, are you suggesting that a town of 7,000 people really gave $27 million in federal taxes in order to get it back?



The state apportions the state's money, the mayor apportions the towns money.  Anyway, that's only about $4,000 each.  So, yeah, that sure doesn't seem over high.
Quote:
Well, while it is possible that they paid that much in taxes in some period of time, why should they get it all back and not the rest of the country?



The rest of the country had it's own representatives representing them.  Some of them (cough NY grandstanders cough) did a shitty job.  She did a good job.  What's your problem with her doing a good job for the people she was working for?  Do you think she should have been working for you in wherever you are when she is being paid by the people of Wasilla?  Do you have any idea what you're talking about?
Quote:
I personally think that there shouldn't be any federal income tax at all, but someone who, instead of using political influence to stop them from taking it in the first place, used it to receive a disproportionate percentage of it back, not to mention endorsing the bridge to nowhere while campaigning for governor, and now runs a national campaign as a reformer who stands against proportioning federal tax money back to pet projects and lies about her support for the most famous pork of them all, definitely fits the standard definition of a career politician to me. :lol:



Quite a whole pile of crap in one run on sentence. What kind of political influence to end income tax do you think she had as mayor of Wasilla?  Bloomberg has no influence there, for fuck sake.  All Bloomy can do is lobby Washington to get more back.  Guess what, that's what he does.  It's his job.  He sucks at it.  She doesn't.  By some seemingly odd perversion of reason you think that someone who sucks at representing his constituents is better than someone who was good at it.  Twisted.  The bridge to nowhere?  When she had the opportunity to spend funds on the bridge to nowhere, did she?  She had all the money, so, when she had the chance to act did she fund it?  No.  Why wouldn't she campaign on getting more money back for Alaska?  It was her job.  Her reformer cred is from kicking out the corrupt old boy network in Alaska as represented by Frank Murkasey.  I really don't understand the insane hatred of Palin.  By any measure she seems to be represent far better than anyone else the free spirit most here pretend to espouse.  Perhaps there is a much more liberal bent here than all the libertarian avowals would seem to indicate.  In my 30+ years of paying attention I have never seen a candidate more libertarian than Palin on a real ticket.

No income tax?  How would you like the federal gummint to confiscate the money for it to operate?  I wouldn't mind it gone either.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Palin Rumors [Re: Seuss]
    #8896799 -

Yes, it is her job, but if anyone else was doing it people would be screaming PORK


--------------------
I know... that just the smallest
                                                part of the world belongs to me
You know... I'm not a blind man
                                                    but truth is the hardest thing to see

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Palin Rumors [Re: Seuss]
    #8896819 -

Seuss said:
You thought wrong.  Don't feel bad, I do it all the time as well.  (It is the job of an elected official to represent their constituents to the best of their ability.  Look at the mayors of big cities such as Denver, New York, LA, etc... they may represent more people than live in some of the smaller states, and they do what they can to help their city... including getting as much federal money as possible.)



What would be the point of having congressional delegations if every town of 7,000 people feel it is their responsibility to petition the federal government for apportionment of federal money, beyond having someone to listen to thousands and thousands of small towns begging? Mayors of big cities may have populations that exceed that of smaller states, but those states also receive more congressional delegates due to those populations, and they are even elected for specific territories from which the populations exist. It is their job to apportion federal money and to appeal to other representatives to back their interests, and it is the job of the mayors to petition them. The job of a mayor being to represent their constituents to the best of their abilities obviously doesn't mean that they call up the President of the United States to ask for a favor to put in a new parking lot, does it? The United States government is specifically organized in this way for a reason.

Let's not pretend here that it is nothing out of the ordinary for a town of 7,000 people to receive $27 million in a year or two as a result of the mayor, who now campaigns as a reformist that stands against apportionment of pork, for usual things (i.e. not disaster relief). I mean, it would have been an application of her performing the best of her abilities to petition the Chinese government to invest in a new public transportation system, right?


--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Palin Rumors [Re: zouden]
    #8896824 -

I never much blame the people trying to get the money.  Until they get in my face and tell me it's their right.  I always blame the people who give it to them.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* McCain & Palin: it's like contraception was never invented
( 1 2 all )
zouden 3,409 25 09/03/08 07:01 PM
by Redstorm
* .
( 1 2 3 all )
AnonymousRabbit 4,606 57 09/02/08 05:51 PM
by EntheogenicPeace
* Palin resigning as governor
( 1 2 3 4 ... 11 12 all )
Poid 13,282 237 07/27/09 09:31 AM
by zappaisgod
* palin "would oppose abortion even if my own daughter was raped"...
( 1 2 3 all )
Annapurna1 3,416 41 09/02/08 05:20 PM
by Phred
* Bristol Palin: Kondracke vs Kristol Fox News lonestar2004 564 11 09/02/08 10:04 AM
by Madtowntripper
* Palin's 17yr pregnant daughter?
( 1 2 all )
heilfire 1,544 24 09/02/08 06:47 PM
by lonestar2004
* Palins E-mail.
( 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 all )
pinkfloydms 8,582 183 10/08/08 09:55 AM
by lonestar2004
* Conservatives are Asking Palin to Quit
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
KingOftheThing 7,894 98 02/01/09 09:25 AM
by zappaisgod

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Enlil, ballsalsa
3,634 topic views. 5 members, 2 guests and 31 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.029 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 18 queries.