Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Palin Rumors [Re: fireworks_god]
    #8896869 - 09/08/08 03:28 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

fireworks_god said:
Quote:

Seuss said:
You thought wrong.  Don't feel bad, I do it all the time as well.  (It is the job of an elected official to represent their constituents to the best of their ability.  Look at the mayors of big cities such as Denver, New York, LA, etc... they may represent more people than live in some of the smaller states, and they do what they can to help their city... including getting as much federal money as possible.)

What would be the point of having congressional delegations if every town of 7,000 people feel it is their responsibility to petition the federal government for apportionment of federal money

Oh, fucking give it up.  Why can't you see that the jobs are different?  Legislators legislate, executives execute
Quote:

, beyond having someone to listen to thousands and thousands of small towns begging?

Which is exactly what happens
Quote:

Mayors of big cities may have populations that exceed that of smaller states, but those states also receive more congressional delegates due to those populations, and they are even elected for specific territories from which the populations exist. It is their job to apportion federal money

Not specifically apportion it, just to get as much as they can, which is also one of the jobs as the mayor.  And how do you suppose those representatives are supposed to know what to get money for?  Why, they get lobbied by their back home executives.
Quote:

and to appeal to other representatives to back their interests, and it is the job of the mayors to petition them.

Finally something right
Quote:

The job of a mayor being to represent their constituents to the best of their abilities obviously doesn't mean that they call up the President of the United States to ask for a favor to put in a new parking lot, does it? The United States government is specifically organized in this way for a reason.

The President is the wrong person to lobby.  He is not a legislator.  He is the Executive officer of the federal government.
Quote:

Let's not pretend here that it is nothing out of the ordinary for a town of 7,000 people to receive $27 million in a year or two as a result of the mayor, who now campaigns as a reformist that stands against apportionment of pork, for usual things (i.e. not disaster relief).

If it is not specifically allocated for a particular project it isn't pork.  If that were so everything would be pork.
Quote:

I mean, it would have been an application of her performing the best of her abilities to petition the Chinese government to invest in a new public transportation system, right?

Yes.  Although it might not have been the best allocation of her efforts.  Kudos to her for not wasting much time on that.  She did well by her town, i.e. the people who were fucking paying her.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
Re: Palin Rumors [Re: Seuss]
    #8898701 - 09/08/08 09:01 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
> Media's been pretty pro-Palin from what I've seen.

They attacked her, starting with her family.  It was so bad, even Obama went on camera and asked the media to back off.  Look at Phred's post above.  The media has been pounding her into the ground, relentlessly.  I don't care for her as a candidate, but she has been attacked viciously by the left media.  It makes the swiftboating stuff look like fairly benign.

Amen to that.  When CNN says that if you put your children on the stage they become "fair game" that is incredible.  I can't site a better example that shows the gulf between ordinary Americans and our media elites.  If they don't get that, they just don't get it.

It helped her though, so maybe she should thank them.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Palin Rumors [Re: zappaisgod]
    #8900891 - 09/09/08 08:13 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
The state apportions the state's money, the mayor apportions the towns money.

Obviously, but I was saying that it is the responsibility of the state's delegation to handle apportionment of federal money. I really fail to comprehend why you would have made this statement. :wtf:

Quote:

Anyway, that's only about $4,000 each.  So, yeah, that sure doesn't seem over high.

It doesn't seem overly high when its considered without any encompassing perspective. $4000 per U.S. citizen is $12 trillion. Her sense of how much her town of 7,000 people deserved back in federal tax-money, when applied to the entire country, demonstrates quite well how disproportionate what they received is, as the result of her employing lobbyists. Someone who shows no regard for how their special requests for a small town fit into the grand scheme of everything on a federal level isn't fit to be one of the main executives on the federal level.

Quote:

The rest of the country had it's own representatives representing them.  Some of them (cough NY grandstanders cough) did a shitty job.  She did a good job.  What's your problem with her doing a good job for the people she was working for?  Do you think she should have been working for you in wherever you are when she is being paid by the people of Wasilla?  Do you have any idea what you're talking about?

I have no problem with her doing a better job at receiving federal funds than others did. The issue here is that she is campaigning on a ticket that stands to change Washington, to stand against lobbyists that seek to obtain apportionment of federal funds. At the same time, she actively hired lobbyists to do exactly that. At the same time she is campaigning against Washington and the gravy train, she did her best to get her disproportionate fill. She's a hypocritical career politician, no different than any other, yet a lot of people think she's actually better than the rest. :cuckoo:

Quote:

Quite a whole pile of crap in one run on sentence.

You don't even know what a run-on sentence is, do you? :smirk: A run-on sentence is any sentence that consists of more than one independent clause and doesn't contain the proper utilization of punctuation and conjunctions. Would you like me to deconstruct the sentence to highlight for you why a complex, longer sentence isn't a run-on sentence?

I personally think that there shouldn't be any federal income tax at all, but (Independent Clause, complete with proper punctuation and conjunction)

someone who * used it to receive a disproportionate percentage of it back * definitely fits the standard definition of a career politican to me. (Independent clause, asterisks to denote where a prepositional phrase or dependent clause , complete with proper punctuation, were included within the clause)

,instead of using political influence to stop them from taking it in the first place, (prepositional phrase)

, not to mention endorsing the bridge to nowhere while campaigning for governor, and now runs a national campaign as a reformer who stands against proportioning federal tax money back to pet projects and lies about her support for the most famous pork of them all, Dependent clause

Quote:

What kind of political influence to end income tax do you think she had as mayor of Wasilla?

As much influence as she would have to hire lobbyists to get the money back after they took it. She obviously wasn't concerned with that though, only with taking other people's money.

Quote:

By some seemingly odd perversion of reason you think that someone who sucks at representing his constituents is better than someone who was good at it.  Twisted.

Nope. This was never implied. What I've stated is that hiring lobbyists in Washington for federal funds when its the state's delegation's responsibility to accomplish this is not consistent with her campaign against lobbying and the status quo in Washington.

Quote:

The bridge to nowhere?  When she had the opportunity to spend funds on the bridge to nowhere, did she?  She had all the money, so, when she had the chance to act did she fund it?  No.  Why wouldn't she campaign on getting more money back for Alaska?  It was her job.

So, she lied about it, or supported it when it was politically convenient to do so (when it wasn't her responsibility and ass on the line). Same old politics of Washington, yet she campaigns as a reformer that stands against this. :lol:

Quote:

No income tax?  How would you like the federal gummint to confiscate the money for it to operate?  I wouldn't mind it gone either.

Cut the budget back to levels similar to how it was in 2000. Surely there is plenty of unnecessary spending to cut, and it isn't as though there is plenty of other ways they make money.

Quote:

Oh, fucking give it up.  Why can't you see that the jobs are different?  Legislators legislate, executives execute

Wow, thanks for clearing that one up. Of course, it has no bearing on what I was saying. :rolleyes:

Quote:

Which is exactly what happens

Perhaps, but those mayors aren't campaigning for vice president as a reformer who is seeking to change the very act in Washington. :rofl:

My main point is that she's no different than any of the other hypocritical, do one thing-say another bastards. She's an aggressive old cunt who has some of the most ignorant beliefs imaginable in this day and age in Western Civilization. I really don't care enough about the topic to continue this discussion further.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom