Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Mexican pasture mushrooms 8/17
    #8859079 -

I arrived in Guadalajara, Mexico at 5pm and still a couple hours to look for mushrooms.  Cactu found these in a pasture. (high res images here.)







Some Conocybe growing on dung:  (high res images here.)



The is the most common Panaeolus in Jalisco and looks like a good match for Panaeolus papilionaceus.  It has a watery consistency, a mild panaeolus taste and is probably inactive.  Spores 7 - 9.5 x 12 - 14 micrometers, smooth, elliptical, with a germ pore.  (high res images here.)







This mildly active nonbluing Panaeolus is a different species that lacks the veil remnants around the cap margin and has a farinaceous taste.  Spores 8 - 10 x 11 - 15 micrometers, cheilocystidia lanceolate.  (high res images here.)







Maybe a Conocybe? (high res images here.)





Psilocybe mexicana (high res images here.)



















Hypomyces lactiflorum colonizing Russula brevipes.  It was pretty late by the time we found these and we had to feel for the mushrooms in almost pitch darkness.  There was a ring of them and got enough for dinner. (high res images here.)




Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mexican pasture mushrooms 8/17 [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #8859090 -

Welcome back!

Beautiful pics :thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mexican pasture mushrooms 8/17 [Re: veggie]
    #8859108 -

Such beautiful pics! Looks like you went on some great forays.

What's species is that active non-bluing Panaeolus?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mexican pasture mushrooms 8/17 [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #8859234 -

Excellent...and there's nothing better than a buen taco con sus frijoles...


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mexican pasture mushrooms 8/17 [Re: up_right]
    #8859351 -

I want to roam around , meet people and find good eats too........I am jealous.
Looks excellent, fun , food and friends!!!


--------------------
I love our leaders and the feds ,they are great people and the laws they make help us!:rofl2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mexican pasture mushrooms 8/17 [Re: unretarded]
    #8859491 -

Lovely pictures,

Those Psilocybe mexicana really do look similar to Semilanceata in a couple of pictures

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mexican pasture mushrooms 8/17 [Re: chaos05]
    #8859556 -

Besides the taste and lack of veil remnents around the cap margin what differences does the non blueing active Panaeolus have from the  papilionaceus. I have seen so many Panaeolus that don't quite fit as acuminatus or papilionaceus here in southern Louisiana.  Is the gill spacing more distant?

Edited by somebody716 (09/01/08 09:57 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mexican pasture mushrooms 8/17 [Re: somebody716]
    #8859575 -

wow very nice pictures, such a wide variety of mushrooms in Mexico...


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mexican pasture mushrooms 8/17 [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #8859580 -

Beautiful Alan, I hope your going to bring some of those spores home for further microscopy, keep the pictures coming :wink:


--------------------
Someone said:  im actually not using ms, im using prints.
Trade List

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mexican pasture mushrooms 8/17 [Re: Juke Adro]
    #8859597 -

awesome pics!!


--------------------
"Our parents found themselves, we are finding each other"


:bigweed::mushroomgrow::cubie::mushroomgrow::flyhigh::lsdabc::tee:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mexican pasture mushrooms 8/17 [Re: soundtrance]
    #8860021 -

nice!  what are you using to get those sizes in the scope?  special slide?


--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mexican pasture mushrooms 8/17 [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #8860439 -

Those pics look absolutely delicious, Alan! Thanks for posting them!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mexican pasture mushrooms 8/17 [Re: koraks]
    #8863919 -

You make pics of mushies an art!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mexican pasture mushrooms 8/17 [Re: kadakuda]
    #8865814 -

Quote:
Such beautiful pics! Looks like you went on some great forays.



Thanks.  These pics are all from the first three hours I was in Mexico. 

Quote:
What's species is that active non-bluing Panaeolus?



Hard to say.  How good is your German?

The collection melted into black goo so its not possible to take another look at it, but I have some pics of the spores I will post later, and some spore measurements.  There may be some cystidia pics on Cactu's camera.

Quote:
I want to roam around , meet people and find good eats too........I am jealous.
Looks excellent, fun , food and friends!!!




Yea this was exactly what a vacation should be. 

Quote:
Those Psilocybe mexicana really do look similar to Semilanceata in a couple of pictures



Yes, P. mexicana is definitely the Mexican liberty cap.  Both are in section Mexicanae and grow in the same habitats - Always in grasslands where animals graze but never directly on dung.

Quote:
Besides the taste and lack of veil remnents around the cap margin what differences does the non blueing active Panaeolus have from the  papilionaceus. I have seen so many Panaeolus that don't quite fit as acuminatus or papilionaceus here in southern Louisiana.  Is the gill spacing more distant?



They look different when you see them coming out of the patty.  The active one has a smaller, more conical cap then P. papilionaceus and it is a meatier mushroom.  You can't really see it in these pics because the flash washed out the color but the active species has more of a reddish brown tint on the cap while the inactives have more of a grey cap that expands to concave as it matures.  Cactu found some of the active species in Nicaragua and verified its activity and said the trip was slightly different then from other species and it blurred his peripheral vision. 

Quote:
Beautiful Alan, I hope your going to bring some of those spores home for further microscopy, keep the pictures coming


 

The spores made it home just fine.  The only thing the customs guy asked me is "Did you bring any food from Mexico with you?"

I decided that its a good idea to go through customs on a sunday night when no one wants to work a shift and everyone wants to travel.  The customs forms asked if I brought food, fruit, seeds, dirt, plant matter, etc but never mentioned spores. 

Quote:
nice!  what are you using to get those sizes in the scope?  special slide?



I ordered a special eyepeice that has a micrometer in it.  Next time I will order from this company (PM me if you need the info) that sells inexpensive little plastic disks that add a micrometer to an existing eyepiece.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mexican pasture mushrooms 8/17 [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #8865977 -

Quote:
The spores made it home just fine.  The only thing the customs guy asked me is "Did you bring any food from Mexico with you?"

I decided that its a good idea to go through customs on a sunday night when no one wants to work a shift and everyone wants to travel.  The customs forms asked if I brought food, fruit, seeds, dirt, plant matter, etc but never mentioned spores. 



Ha ha ha, I suppose if it didn't say spores.... then woohoo :lol:  great work mate I just wish you had a few hundred more pictures :wink:


--------------------
Someone said:  im actually not using ms, im using prints.
Trade List

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mexican pasture mushrooms 8/17 [Re: Juke Adro]
    #8874850 -

Quote:
great work mate I just wish you had a few hundred more pictures :wink:



Ok I will see what I can find.

Here is some Russula brevipes.  These were really near some lobster mushrooms.  The Hypomyces likes to eat some of the Russulas but always leaves some.








Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mexican pasture mushrooms 8/17 [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #8874891 -

:eek:  Wow, great macro shot of the P. mexicana!  I guess I should have read more when I got back.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mexican pasture mushrooms 8/17 [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #8876087 -

Excellente!  :thumbup:


--------------------
"Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mexican pasture mushrooms 8/17 [Re: shroomgatherer]
    #8876296 -

Beautiful pictures. wish i was finding all those!


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Magic Mushrooms in Mississippi: Part Two mjshroomer 26,671 5 01/28/12 01:16 AM
by koraks
* kiwi mushrooms
( 1 2 3 4 all )
starfungi 12,683 63 03/29/21 05:28 AM
by RenegadeMycologist
* News Clipping--Treasure Coast Mushrooms Sturn-up GGreatOne234 10,207 11 07/28/01 06:32 PM
by Anonymous
* Mushroom I.D. anyone? ledfethered 2,615 8 10/12/02 03:47 PM
by MAIA
* Some Thai 3 cubies, P. Mexicana and Mondays Stuntz mjshroomer 2,393 8 07/11/01 07:35 PM
by Indiospree
* mushroom abundance down here in Mexico AIRDOG 1,348 3 07/24/02 09:51 AM
by AIRDOG
* Problems with hunting in pastures Jay_Tech 1,671 4 10/23/02 08:15 PM
by JovialLeprechaun
* Re: Rumors of field owners to kill mushrooms Anonymous 1,893 8 07/06/00 05:29 PM
by GGreatOne234

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: ToxicMan, karode13, inski, Alan Rockefeller, Duggstar, TimmiT, Anglerfish, Tmethyl, Lucis, Doc9151, Land Trout
1,926 topic views. 0 members, 33 guests and 89 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.033 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 14 queries.