Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinelizardking
journeyman
Loc: Uk, India, USA... Im ever...
canning jars in uk
    #869820 - 09/08/02 02:57 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

hi people
this pertains to people growing in the uk..
does anyone know where i can get canning jars from? or does anyone have a nice substitute i can use?
i live in london so decent hardware stores are hard to come by (pun unintended)...
id be grateful for any help on this...
thanks
peace and love
lk
ps- any one know any european shippers of spore syringers out there? fsre sounds good but id like to go for a pre-prepared syringe my first time around!

--------------------
The future is uncertain
And the end is always near.
James Douglas Morrison.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLordPeter
Re: canning jars in uk [Re: lizardking]
    #869849 - 09/08/02 03:11 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Theres only one type of jar I have ever found that dont go in at the top and are wide mouthed.. (and believe me - i have checked many supermarkets!) it is:

"Bonne Maman" Jam - look for it in bigger supermarkets, it looks quite amature design, its "fresh" jam. I think they are about ?1.15 a jar.

Alternatively, you could just use normal glasses, but attach two layers of foil over the top

If you find anywhere selling 1/2 pint wide mouthed jars, please be so kind to let me know  :wink:

Edited by LordPeter (09/08/02 03:19 AM)

OfflineLordPeter
    #869868 - 09/08/02 03:21 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

PS I got my spores from www.mushmush.nl - they are based in the Netherlands, they are reasonably priced (free spore if you order 3) and they came within about a week of me ordering and I had no problems growing my shrooms :smile: 

Offlinelizardking
journeyman
Re: canning jars in uk [Re: LordPeter]
    #870023 - 09/08/02 10:01 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

hey man
thanks for the quick reply
ill be sure to look for the jam jars... but will mean emptying jars of all the jam huh....
and if i do come across anything else, i will let you know :smile: :cool:

as for using glasses: yeah i read about the tinfoil elsewhere as well but hoping u can help me on this.
if the glass doesnt have a lid and just has multiple layers of foil, wont that still leave an entry point for contaminants to get in?  :confused:

thanks once again man

peace
lk 
[edit:ps - been looking around on mushmush and they do have decent prices. i like the order 3 get one free syringe. thanks for the link man!]

--------------------
The future is uncertain
James Douglas Morrison.

Edited by lizardking (09/08/02 10:04 AM)

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #871167 - 09/09/02 03:11 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

i found 3 brands of wide mouth jam jars all the same jar. i found empty jars the exact same being sold for jam making but it was actually cheaper to buy the jam and throw it out!

Offlinelizardking
journeyman
Re: canning jars in uk [Re: blackout]
    #871255 - 09/09/02 06:04 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

LOL blackout
yeah funny how the consumer gets ripped off... :ooo:
well anyways i guess ill have to find a suitable jar in tescos/safeway
assuming i can get brf in a health store or even a supermarket
shud be all good :smirk:
thanks guys
peace and love
lk 

--------------------
The future is uncertain
James Douglas Morrison.

OfflineErbaliza
Believer
Loc: UK...London(ish)
    #871300 - 09/09/02 07:20 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I have been using the Bonne Manan jam jars(?1.19 in Sainsburys)They work perfect...Someone said that Habitat sells the same kind of jars for 50p,although they are a touch smaller.If anyones been to Habitat let us know....
      I tried a plastic Tupperware style container in the pc but it melted :tongue: It was a cheap container,i wanna try a proper microwaveable container to see what happens....
      I got my first print from FSRE(thanks Eric),I got my syringes from mushmush as well...At the mo' ive got the fridge full of GT and Mexican mycelium/honey water(i made way too many jars  :smile:  Just need a lot more CHEAP jars....Peace 

InvisiblePinhead
Oregano
Male

Loc: Hootersville
    #871552 - 09/09/02 10:09 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Do they have Ziplock disposable containers in the U.K.?
They work great!..No meltdown even thou they're plastic. :smile: :smile:

Invisiblematts
matts

[Re: Pinhead]
    #871560 - 09/09/02 10:12 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

InvisiblePinhead
Oregano
Male

Loc: Hootersville
Re: canning jars in uk [Re: matts]
    #871584 - 09/09/02 10:23 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Pictured are the 1 3/4 cup size which is a bit large,I use the 1 cup size.After 3-4 uses,the cover has to be taped on. New ones with tight fitting lids would probaly even work for agar. These DO NOT MELT in the pressure cooker,but after a few uses,the lid loosens up a bit.
Anno uses the pickle/mayo jars for spawn,not cakes (as far as I know). These Ziplocks work great for cakes.

Edited by Pinhead (09/09/02 10:29 AM)

OfflineErbaliza
Believer
Loc: UK...London(ish)
Re: canning jars in uk [Re: Pinhead]
    #871697 - 09/09/02 10:59 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

No Ziplock jars over here  :frown:  They dont really sell caning/mason jars either  as no one over here preserves their own stuff...
  I have seen a place that sells autoclavable straight sided pvc containers(for laboratory use)...I have mailed them to get a couple of samples and will give them a test in the pc.If they work out ok i'll let post up the results....Peace 

OfflinePurple_Voyage
Mind Explorer

Loc: UK
    #871769 - 09/09/02 06:24 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

They also sell the same jars in Asda. The jam is called "Continental" and I think it's slightly cheaper than Sainsburys.

--------------------

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
Re: canning jars in uk [Re: Pinhead]
    #872162 - 09/09/02 09:31 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

In reply to:

These DO NOT MELT in the pressure cooker,but after a few uses,the lid loosens up a bit.

The bottoms are made of polypropelene which is safe for autoclave use. The lids are not and will deform under high heat.

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: canning jars in uk [Re: Erbaliza]
    #880938 - 09/12/02 04:54 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

"They dont really sell caning/mason jars either as no one over here preserves their own stuff..."
same where i am. however i did get large 3 litre jars in a turkish shop selling pickled tomatoes in them. i got a 5 litre jar of pickles too. i am still eating the bastards and dont want to toss them out even though i cant wait to use the jar! try a cash and carry which will have large jars of tomato sauce etc for catering companies or go to a local restuarant and offer to buy their empty jars, tell them youll be back in a few weeks

OfflineboO
Female User Gallery

Re: canning jars in uk [Re: Erbaliza]
    #880945 - 09/12/02 05:11 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

i'll be crusing by tottenham court road tomorrow and i'll check heals/habitat for any canning jars...

but yeah it is pretty difficult to find any type of unused jars. when i was growing, i just brought back with me a box of half pints from America...

but if your friend is right and they have some jars around tottenham court road for .50p then i'll surely update you guys :smile:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract