Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
Short little 9 hour, 500 acre hike (91 pictures)
    #8789306 - 08/18/08 01:32 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

This thread took about 2 hours to create and I'm beat.  Well, I started late (nothing new) and left home about 11 am and finished about 9 pm covering 500 acres.  This area is riparian, meaning a river bottomland.  I got this braindrizzle because I found old Oysters a couple of days ago.  So I decided to make the day of it and see what I could find.  Turns out, it was pretty cool!

The first thing I came across were some Coprinellus micaceus on the way down the hill.  This is the only mushroom I eat raw.  You're not supposed to do that, but I have been doing it for years without a single problem.  The distinguishing characteristic are the mica-like flakes on the cap.  It's melting, so it's coprinoid.

Immediately after that I saw some Psathyrella candolleana.  It's also edible, but I have never eaten it.  It's too fragile.  Kinda largish, brown gills and a stem that falls apart easily. 

Pluteus cervinus, the Deer Mushroom.  I've been on a Pluteus kick this year, trying to find as many species as possible.  This one is also edible and smells like potatoes.  I've never eaten it either.

Then I got into the woods and found what I was looking for.  The only problem was they were 15-30 up in the air.  Fortunately they were on a maple log that had been caught in a Black Cherry tree.  It was about a 45o angle so it was relatively easy to climb.

This one was about 30 feet up.

Here is the same branch after I picked it.

This is the haul off of that log by itself.  I was like :eek:  --I'm off to a good start.

Then I found out I was right.  The woods were filled with them.

This is the total haul.  Anyone want to guess the weight?  You'll be surprised. :wink:

Speaking of Oysters, this is Phyllotopsis nidulans, the Mock Oyster.  The cap is a little fuzzy, the gills are orange, but the real giveaway is the smell.  It smells exactly like propane!  Ugh.  :puke:  If you've ever smelled one you'll know what I mean.

My favorite kind of Honey Mushroom--a DEAD one!  This one was Armillaria tabescens.

I always enjoy these little boogers, Mycena haematopsis, the bleeding Mycena.  You can see the blood in the first pic.  Normally it is an identifying characteristic to break the stem and watch it bleed.  Vampires love these.  Don't mind the stoopid joke; I'm blind with fatigue.

These are Mycena leiana, the orange Mycena.  Neither it nor the bleeder are edible as far as I know.  The woods were loaded with these as well.  Pretty, orange mushroom with a white spore print.

Laetiporus sulfureus, the Chicken of the Woods.  These are supposed to be good to eat.  I don't care for them at all.  Someone told me I waited too long to pick them.  I'll take their word for it.  :lol:  These were everywhere too.

Crepidotus mollis can be a real fooler. From a distance it looks like an Oyster.  When it ages the gills turn brown and it has a brown spore print.  Not edible.

This is the tiniest mushroom I have ever seen--the cap was 1 mm wide.  That "branch" its on is the stem to a maple leaf.  I wish I could have got better pictures but this camera is crap.  I have NO idea what it is.  Anyone want to guess?

And here is another tiny mushroom--some kind of tiny Amanita sp.  I have no idea what it is either.  The mature cap was 7 mm wide.

Ahhh my pride and joy!  Another Pluteus salicinus.  Please note the base of the stem didn't hardly blue at all.  I have a little patch of these that fruit fairly regular.  No spore print for this one though.  It has already sporulated and was on the way out.  Oh well.

The Swamp Rose, Hibiscus palustris.  The second part of the name means swamp.  I think these are awesome!

I'm calling this one a Gymnopus, but I really don't have a clue.  Anyone know what this is?

I think this is Russula pectinatoides rather than Russula fragrantissima.  It smelled like cherries but not too much.

A dead Jack-O-Lantern, Omphalotus illudens gave up its light.

This is the Quilted Green Russula, Russula virescens.  It is absolutely awesome when made into a soup!

Danny Glick taught me this one.  Megacollybia platyphylla, one of the first mushrooms to come out after Morels.  Not edible either as far as I know.

Pretty good specimens of Lycoperdon perlatum.  Supposed to be edible if there isn't any yellow.  I'll pass.

I always see Trilliums in the spring when I am hunting Morels but this is the first time I ever saw the fruit.  Trillium erectum, the Red Trillium.

I was really pleased to find this, Agaricus placomyces.  This yellow staining, sometimes yellow bleeding, Agaricus is better left uneaten.  I still thought it looked purty.

This one is really cool, a NEW Pluteus!  I have found this twice this year but this specimen was so young I am printing it.  I have some articles that specialize in them.  I'll try to figure out what it is unless someone here knows.

The Artist's Conk, Ganoderma applanatum.

I know this Fomitopsis but I can't place the species.  Anyone know offhand?

And I think this is Hygrophorus cantharellus.  I can't remember whether it is edible or not.

And that was that!  Damn I'm tired.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnother_Melb_Guy
Single White Male
Male

Re: Short little 9 hour, 500 acre hike (91 pictures) [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #8789318 - 08/18/08 01:38 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

dont eat them all at once :mushroom2:

hahah very nice, your one lucky man

--------------------

Invisiblerugergirl79
lεṡвïαṉ εχτɾøḋïṉ^
 User Gallery

Loc: cardboard box
    #8789323 - 08/18/08 01:41 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

:yourock:you got some sexy pics there!!!!  thanks for sharing...

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: Short little 9 hour, 500 acre hike (91 pictures) [Re: Another_Melb_Guy]
    #8789325 - 08/18/08 01:42 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

lol thanks.  At the moment I am one tired man.

--------------------

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: Short little 9 hour, 500 acre hike (91 pictures) [Re: rugergirl79]
    #8789329 - 08/18/08 01:44 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Aww shucks.  It wasn't nothing.  :blush:

--------------------

Offlineimplee
Cyber Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Houston, Texas. Flag
    #8789471 - 08/18/08 02:46 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Holy god, i was happy that i found my first real oyster (not angel wings) then you come along and find a billion oysters.. i just nutted all over my computer dude :O

My guess is 1 trillion gazillion billion pounds of oysters

Offlinegmuralid
Holy Cow
Male User Gallery

Loc: India
Re: Short little 9 hour, 500 acre hike (91 pictures) [Re: implee]
    #8789786 - 08/18/08 07:24 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

:bow::eek::thumbup:

Wow.

That must have been some hike!

That orange Mycena is awesome! And the Agaricus is supremely beautiful.

I found something just like that Hygrophorus a few times in the last few days, Ill be putting the pics up soon.

Thanks for teh grate pichars!:)

--------------------
Wilderness. It defines me.

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: Short little 9 hour, 500 acre hike (91 pictures) [Re: implee]
    #8789791 - 08/18/08 07:27 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

:lol:

I should let others guess but, evidently Oysters don't weigh very much.  That whole group--and there must have been a couple of hundred--only weighed 4 lb. 9.8 oz.  I used to find Angel Wings, but this year there hasn't been a single one.  I guess that's good though because I heard they were slightly poisonous to some people.

--------------------

Offlinegmuralid
Holy Cow
Male User Gallery

Loc: India
Re: Short little 9 hour, 500 acre hike (91 pictures) [Re: gmuralid]
    #8789792 - 08/18/08 07:27 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

And Im thinking like 2 kilos?

--------------------
Wilderness. It defines me.

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: Short little 9 hour, 500 acre hike (91 pictures) [Re: gmuralid]
    #8789806 - 08/18/08 07:35 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks gmuralid.  I love your pictures!

Yes, slightly over 2 kilos.  :thumbup:

I think the Orange Mycena is very beautiful too.  I have dozens of pictures of them.  It's one of those weird mushrooms whose gills give a different colored spore print.

I screwed up on the pink gills of the Agaricus.  I was trying to show the free attachment, but it was getting too dark for the camera to focus properly.  I've seen these drip yellow fluid but it has been so dry lately I was kinda surprised anything came up at all.  We haven't had rain in a week.

--------------------

OfflineRoy
Stranger

Loc: Eastern USA
    #8789947 - 08/18/08 08:51 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Holy shit, good job on the ID's, seems like a fantastic day out in the woods, i love the puffballs, you should try them sometime you might like them, they also have medicinal properties and i believe the native americans used them as a styptic, mixed the spores with spiderwebs to make a hemostatic dressing, and even drank an infusion of the spores to stop internal bleeding, and much more one of the most used fungi by native americans.

InvisibleAbuse
end of the line

Re: Short little 9 hour, 500 acre hike (91 pictures) [Re: Roy]
    #8790222 - 08/18/08 10:17 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Wow. Nice collection of pictures :laugh:

--------------------

InvisiblegeorgeM
Human
 User Gallery

Loc: Osage Cuestas
Trusted Identifier
    #8790404 - 08/18/08 10:59 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Wow! you found some mushrooms :eek:.... they are mushrooms right? I'm fond of the woodland agaricus species, they are fruiting here in  great numbers and I expect them to continue for another month or so. I'm actually considering trying them this year even though they are noted as being mildly poisonous to some.

Nice chickens, I found a huge fruiting the other day but they were far too old and gross to consider collecting. Hope you enjoy yours.

OfflineN2loma
Foaming Pipe Snake
Male User Gallery

Re: Short little 9 hour, 500 acre hike (91 pictures) [Re: georgeM]
    #8790447 - 08/18/08 11:08 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Great finds and pictures! Ironically, you left much of the Sulfur Shelf in prime eating condition, based on the bright coloration. However, I think your oyster haul more than made up for it.

I believe your putative Gymnopus is a toxic Nolanea/Entoloma. Their reappearance since spring is really odd...

--------------------
"So can you tell me what exactly does freedom mean/
If I'm not free to be as twisted as I wanna be" -Divide by Disturbed

Good Guitars Don't Cry

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: Short little 9 hour, 500 acre hike (91 pictures) [Re: Roy]
    #8791030 - 08/18/08 01:29 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks Roy.  Actually these weren't that difficult to identify.  Except for the few oddballs and the Agaricus placomyces I've been find the same mushrooms in the same area for years.  I've eaten a fair share of puffballs, but not this one.  There's something about the spines that makes me leery.  That's a cool fact about the Natives and one I didn't know, I am partial blood. :wink:  My collecting goes back to my great-grandmother who used to collect things from nature for various uses.  It passed from her to her daughter to her daughter to me.

--------------------

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: Short little 9 hour, 500 acre hike (91 pictures) [Re: georgeM]
    #8791111 - 08/18/08 01:49 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks Abuse.

Thanks, George.  The more common Woodland Agaricus I've found is A. silvicola.  I've never tried it either.  There's something about Woodland Agaricus that makes me nervous.  We found a pile of Meadow Mushrooms the other day; I chowed on them.

I had a perfect opportunity to try young chickens the other day.  My friend who advised that was the stage to eat them probably would have gobbled them up.

I'd rather eat a Black Trumpet anyday. :wink:

--------------------

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: Short little 9 hour, 500 acre hike (91 pictures) [Re: N2loma]
    #8791147 - 08/18/08 01:55 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks N2loma. Do you think every unidentified mushroom bears your name?  :lol:  You probably are right though.  Question:  Do you think that big volume on Western Entolomas would help me?  I live in the East.

According to my buddy those chickens were old fryers.  I'll probably never know for sure.  After trying to eat them several times and not liking it I'm all chickened out.

--------------------

Invisiblekoraks
    #8791257 - 08/18/08 02:22 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Those photos make me very, very jealous, Hongos! Of course, the jealousy gives way to pure enjoyment, as it opens up your mushroomy world a bit to me. I've come to realize we're pretty much deprived of mushrooms around here, probably due to massive destruction of habitat (this country is like a small city backyard: well tended, but very unadventurous) and possibly also over-picking of edible species. I'd like to try chickens one day; I found a nice one a few weeks ago and donated to my brother in law, but he forgot about it and only discovered it in his fridge when it was way past its prime. How's that for a gift, huh? Anyway, even chickens are relatively scarce here, as are oysters. We're definitely doing something wrong here.

I'm planning on taking a little vacation during the second half of September, I'm hoping to go out to the Black Forest region in Germany. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for some finds there, but I realize it'll probably be a bit late for large hauls or very interesting finds. Ah well, perhaps I should move out to a bit less civilized region one day :wink:

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: Short little 9 hour, 500 acre hike (91 pictures) [Re: koraks]
    #8791345 - 08/18/08 02:40 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

You're jealous?!?!

All I could think about was your photos and my shitty little camera.  Hopefully by next week I'll have a PowerShot.  I have a little project I'm working on and I need at least a 15 second shutter speed.

I've never picked in Europe but from what I understand overpicking has been a problem, if not for reducing the mushrooms then at least finding them.  Here in the States we have acres and acres that virtually go untouched.  Tons of mushrooms rot and decay without ever being seen by human eyes.

Your brother-in-law sounds like mine.  Let's not go into that.  :shake:  Well, chickens aren't the greatest gift of the forest; they cause heart rot in some species of trees.  I tolerate them as a species because they aren't very aggressive.

--------------------

Invisiblerugergirl79
lεṡвïαṉ εχτɾøḋïṉ^
 User Gallery

Loc: cardboard box
    #8791359 - 08/18/08 02:44 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

you have a special dish in mind with all those oysters, or are you just going to dry and save them for something special?  You say your camera is shity, but i always look forward to your pics!!!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale