Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: NSW, Australia.
Pictures from latest hike...
    #1481550 - 04/22/03 04:38 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Well, just in case anyone is actually reading my hunting logs, here?s a select few pictures from my latest hike. I?ll reframe from posting pictures of every mushroom I see now, these are just the largest and/or more interesting ones. Almost all of them were growing on euclypt and wood mulch, or rich, leafy soil.

Anyone know what this is?

How about this one?

Actually, an ID on any of these would be interesting, although I?m not going to go all out and take spore prints of them all! If you can ID any just from the images it would be cool tho.

From a distance, I thought this may have been my first P.subaeruginosa, although as I got closer my hopes were dashed. Still too warm, I suspect. Although I know one thing for sure: if they grow in my area at all, I?ll find them in this location. It?s a fungi haven!

Some weird spikey puff ball thingys.

This one is quite large. The cap is maybe 10 cm (4") across.

Hopefully it?s obvious that I?m slowly getting the hang of this digital camera, although I still prefer my old one. I just don?t want to pay - or wait - to get the film processed.

Edited by oO_wombat_Oo (04/22/03 04:42 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejimbu
jimbu
Male
Loc: nsw, australia
Re: Pictures from latest hike... [Re: oO_wombat_Oo]
    #1481600 - 04/22/03 05:39 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

hey dude! nice photos!

i've seen HEAPS of those mushrooms in your 5th photo around my area, not sure what they are tho...

the 6th photo, i found one almost identical the other day... i too was disappointed to find it wasn't a p. subaeruginosa :tongue: it looks similar to the Stropharia rugosoannulata pictured on the hiddenforest.co.nz site

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Pictures from latest hike... [Re: jimbu]
    #1481758 - 04/22/03 07:49 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

It's not S.rugosoannulata, the stem is way too thin and the mushroom is too small.

Yeah, I'd like to know what those ones in the 5th photo are too. :smile:

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1481972 - 04/22/03 09:49 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

The first one looks like an Agaricus. You know from your last Agaricus thread how tough these can be to get to species.

The second one is a Russula. You thought Agaricus was tough? You have almost no chance of identifying a Russula to species without a microscope. Almost no professionals I know will even guess at a species without a microscope. You also need a copy of one of the monographs by Ray Fatto or Ben Woo. You can taste a tiny piece of the cap to see if it's acrid (peppery). Warning: some of them can be very hot - comparable to the hotter peppers.

The third one is the most interesting, with those forked gills. I think I see a little bit of greenish bruising on the one to the lower left (on the stem). I'm going to guess Phylloporus rhodoxanthus, which is basically a bolete which forms gills instead of pores. On many specimens the gills fork and crossvein so much near the stem that there actually are pores there. Aside from the blue bruising, you can also verify that the gills peel from the cap in a manner similar to the pores peeling in boletes. There are also several closely related, similar species which it could be, so take that as an approximation. Note that some of the relatives don't bruise blue. Here's a pretty funny key to the genus. It's the first key I remember with a couplet including information about the identifier's socks.

On the next one we really need to see the underside of the cap and the gills. We'll need a spore print to identify this one. It's a nice photo, though.

Yep, those are puffballs. As far as species, when I showed a collection of puffballs to Dr. Smith his comment was that they can't be identified until they mature and form a pore to release the spore through. They look similar to Lycoperdon pyriforme.

The last one, at first glance, resembles a Psathyrella. We need to see the underside of the cap and need a spore print to identify it.

Nice photos. You've got a pretty good mushroom season going.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinecube421
420guy
Loc: TX
Re: Pictures from latest hike... [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1482489 - 04/22/03 01:25 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

verrry nice photos indeeed

Offlineruskifile
droog

Loc: nowhere
    #1483635 - 04/22/03 07:00 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

....very nice, wombat  :grin:

You've obviously got all the right conditions for fungi...maybe a little cooler weather is all that's needed for what you're looking for 

--------------------
(zhukov in a previous life....)

2SER FM underground radio

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Pictures from latest hike... [Re: ruskifile]
    #1483653 - 04/22/03 07:03 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks guys.

Once again, thanks for the lengthy reply, Toxicman - really appreciated!

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
    #1484603 - 04/22/03 10:51 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

great photos.  im enjoying your threads alot they are helping me with identifying differents species from their looks since you post so many different specimens. keep em coming.  :smile:  peace

blaze2 

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
    #1485024 - 04/23/03 12:45 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Your pictures are really beautiful. ToxicMan already ID them all, I have doubts only about Phylloporus rhodoxantus. I have found this rare mushrooms once and its cap looks exactly like a bolete when looked from above while "gills" have a strong yellow color.
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/christian.frund/analyse/bolet/phylopor/rhodoxan.htm

I have no idea what it could be - it's hard to ID species from the other continent.

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Pictures from latest hike... [Re: zeronio]
    #1487544 - 04/23/03 09:11 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

"I have no idea what it could be - it's hard to ID species from the other continent"

Yeah, I'll bet it is. I'm not really expecting anyone to give 100% ID's, just a guesstimate like what I've been getting is great. Cause then I search for them on the net and can usually confirm for myself if the guess is correct or not - and I learn heaps about them in the process.

Blaze2,

Glad you like the photos, mate! :laugh:

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Pictures from latest hike... [Re: zeronio]
    #1487823 - 04/23/03 11:04 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

zeronio - I was wondering if anybody would point that out. You're correct that Phylloporus rhodoxanthus apparently usually looks more like this. But this is only the most common variety. When I was looking them up I found that there is another variety which looks more like this. There are also a few closely related species which look very similar to me (I've never seen any of them in person). Unfortunately I don't have any good references to the genus, so I just listed the most common species that fit the description (and a key). Besides, if you check out the key, my reading of it is that the genus is not that well resolved yet and you'll do pretty well if you just call most of them Phylloporus rhodoxanthus, at least until the molecular biology guys get done with them. Not very satisfying if you like them to fall into neat categories, but I'm trying to be more tolerant of this sort of situation.

As far as the genus part, Phylloporus was the only genus I could find which they seemed to fit into reasonably well. And I got to it by elimination, not because they leaped out and suggested it to me. The most important character looks to me to be those forked gills. There aren't many places to put mushrooms with gills that forked. And all the other places seem worse fits.

BTW - please don't take this as a flame. That was one of the more difficult mushrooms I've seen out here in awhile, and I flipped through books for probably about an hour before I decided that I could live with this guess.

And I agree 100%+ with your comment about identifying mushrooms from other continents. A couple years ago I went to a lecture by Dr Orson Miller, Jr on the mushrooms of Australia and he showed us some seriously weird stuff. If I moved there it would almost be like starting over learning mushrooms. There are some we'd know, but the lecture focused on the unique ones, and they've got a pile of them down there. The coolest one he mentioned (I thought) glows so brightly that he said you could easily read by the light just a few of them put out.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Anonymous

#1487841 - 04/23/03 11:12 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

Anonymous

#1487849 - 04/23/03 11:15 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Pictures from latest hike... [Re: ]
    #1488079 - 04/24/03 12:41 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Remind me in August. Dr Miller will be the Fair identifier this year and I can ask him which species it was then. Then maybe we can get one of the Aussies out here to find some for you.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Anonymous

#1488094 - 04/24/03 12:46 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Offlineferret
strange

Loc: VIC, Australia
    #1491209 - 04/24/03 09:29 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

hey nice pics wombat- that 6th one could be a young Oudemansiella radicata, aka Xerula/Collybia radicata. if it is the stem will have a tapered tap root, and have pure white distant gills and spore print.
but i could be wrong :smirk: 

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder