Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
WBS, Grain, or Popcorn Tek?
    #8774128 -

I am trying to decide wether I should go with the WBS, Grain, or Popcorn Tek for my first grow. I have a Pressure cooker and because of that I dont think I want to start with PF Tek. I want a faster way to get these things grown.

What are the ups/downs to each?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WBS, Grain, or Popcorn Tek? [Re: TrippyVibrato]
    #8774213 -

WBS negatives - Really messy, I've had higher contam rate with it, takes a while to prepare and get right
Positives- Cheaper by pound than others, more inoculation points when spawned to bulk

Rye grain, if thats what you meant by grain; positives Alot of people call it the best substrate; lots of inoculation points to bulk, quick germination compared to corn, not terribly messy, doesnt smell bad.

negatives- 69 cents a pound where I live, more expensive than popcorn per lb. at sam's club, Make sure you dont over cook it or it will contam EASY,

popcorn positive- 17.00 US dollars per 50 lbs. at sams club, cheap substrate (around 35.00 US dollars for rye), not messy at all, slower germination (Use my quicker germination "tek" to remedy this), doesnt contam as easy in jar for me, more forgiving on overcooking, doesnt turn to mush like rye or pop as easily as WBS.

negatives- less inoculation points for bulk, You have to pay retail price of 70 cents a lb if you dont have a sams club membership, slower germination (Use my quicker germination "tek" to remedy this).

Personally, I LOVE Popcorn. Its my favorite as its cheap, not messy and has great availability, not like rye grain that just went out of stock long term where I used to get it. The grows in my sig are from popcorn spawned to hpoo.

The worst mistake I ever made with grains in the beginning was overcooking them. If you see one popped grain you should turn off the stove and put it into a colander to drain, dry, and load.


--------------------
[/url]
My "Faster Germination For Popcorn Substrate" TEK
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/8428361#8428361

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WBS, Grain, or Popcorn Tek? [Re: chobumms]
    #8774973 -

Damn maybe I should stick to BRF cakes... this seems like such a hassle...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WBS, Grain, or Popcorn Tek? [Re: TrippyVibrato]
    #8775069 -

Wild bird seed is the best substrate for bulk spawning you can use, much quicker to colonize then rye and a hell of alot more inoculation points, easy to find and cheap as hell.

It's not very messy just takes longer to prepare then other grain based substrates but its worth it. Just use gypsum in the soak water and a pinch in the jars and you'll be good.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WBS, Grain, or Popcorn Tek? [Re: TrippyVibrato]
    #8775073 -

TrippyVibrato said:
Damn maybe I should stick to BRF cakes... this seems like such a hassle...



Thats where I'm at right now.  The PF tek is just so damn easy.  And as far as yields go..I simply doubled my number of cakes.  I have 24 WBS flour cakes incubating right now.  I think I'll have decent yields.  :mushroom2:


--------------------
Everything I say on this website and forum is completely false and fantasy role play.  In reality I do not engage in any illegal activities regardless of what my posts say.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WBS, Grain, or Popcorn Tek? [Re: the_0wl]
    #8775083 -

I am just worried about colonization times. I hear the BRF cakes take forever to colonize?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WBS, Grain, or Popcorn Tek? [Re: TrippyVibrato]
    #8775101 -

use WBS you will NOT be dissapointed  :foshizzle:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WBS, Grain, or Popcorn Tek? [Re: Q-WTF]
    #8775112 -

I have heard soooo many different opinions... I am really just looking for a tek that will grow a good amount, but not have to worry so much about contams and slow colonization time.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WBS, Grain, or Popcorn Tek? [Re: TrippyVibrato]
    #8775120 -

then just use the brown rice (9ers Tek) and spawn bulk to poo, if you want a fast colonizer use B+ man

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WBS, Grain, or Popcorn Tek? [Re: Q-WTF]
    #8775134 -

I dont really know how to spawn bulk to Poo nor do I want poo in my apartment...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WBS, Grain, or Popcorn Tek? [Re: TrippyVibrato]
    #8775155 -

the cow/horse poo shouldnt smell like poo because you only want year old poo style conditions. The poo will smell like dirt.
All you do is pasteurize the poo in a bucket, once its done add some coir and verm through the poo and spawn your cakes to the poo.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WBS, Grain, or Popcorn Tek? [Re: Q-WTF]
    #8775163 -

you can always just use grain or seed, and then just case it in a tub with 50/50 verm/coir

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WBS, Grain, or Popcorn Tek? [Re: Q-WTF]
    #8775183 -

How do you pastuerize the poo in a bucket..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WBS, Grain, or Popcorn Tek? [Re: TrippyVibrato]
    #8775187 -

TrippyVibrato said:
I have heard soooo many different opinions... I am really just looking for a tek that will grow a good amount, but not have to worry so much about contams and slow colonization time.



-Buy a bag of popcorn.

-Soak the popcorn for 20 hours

-Simmer for 45 minutes.

- Strain for 30 minutes. Carefull, you may need to strain longer. If it drips one drop, it's not strained well. This is where most people fuck up with popcorn.

- PC the popcorn in your jars of choice.

- When jars have cooled, inoculate them. Popcorn germinates in about 3 days, then takes off very quickly.

-At 20% colonization shake the jar to spread mycellium.

-When it gets to 100%, shake to losen popcorn

-Dump popcorn in a tray to where it's 2 inches thick

- add a casing layer, and cover with foil. Poke holes in foil.

-Check in 3 days, patch if needed, and put in the fruiting chamber.


Alternatively, to double your yield, you can make twice as much substrate by mixing the colonized popcorn with coir. 1 pint coir to 1 pint popcorn. You can increase this ratio to [1 popcorn : 3 coir] and it will still do fine. You can use other bulk subs such as straw and horse pewp, instead of, or along with coir. I like to case the popcorn itself, maybe double it with coir if i'm just using trays. For monotub i do 1:3.

My avatar, and the bottom pics are b+ grown on nothing but 3/4 a pint of popcorn cased in 5050, and was my very first grow. It is a good substrate.





--------------------

Edited by ray40cal (08/14/08 10:06 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WBS, Grain, or Popcorn Tek? [Re: TrippyVibrato]
    #8775193 -

just put your poo in the bucket or eski, pour boiling water in there and let it soak

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WBS, Grain, or Popcorn Tek? [Re: TrippyVibrato]
    #8775194 -

Well thats what I want to do is grain and seed but I have been told its hard not to get a Contam when going to the casing and that if I put the case in my FC and put the FC under my bed it will get contams. I dont have anywhere else to put it... I need to hide it

Edited by TrippyVibrato (08/14/08 10:06 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WBS, Grain, or Popcorn Tek? [Re: TrippyVibrato]
    #8775218 -

http://www.shroomery.org/5110/Sterilization-and-Pasteurization

you dont even have to case you poo if you dont want to.
your FC does not have to be sterile

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WBS, Grain, or Popcorn Tek? [Re: ray40cal]
    #8775228 -

ray40cal said:
Alternatively, to double your yield, you can make twice as much substrate by mixing the colonized popcorn with coir. 1 pint coir to 1 pint popcorn. You can increase this ratio to [1 popcorn : 3 coir] and it will still do fine. You can use other bulk subs such as straw and horse pewp, instead of, or along with coir. I like to case the popcorn itself, maybe double it with coir if i'm just using trays. For monotub i do 1:3.





So while casing, I simply add 1 pint of Coir to every pint of colonized popcorn, put it in the bottom of the tub and then put the casing mix on top?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WBS, Grain, or Popcorn Tek? [Re: TrippyVibrato]
    #8775239 -

You could just lock your room and let it fruit. Only takes a week or so to fruit a tray. Or, you can put the whole works in a big rubbermaide, but only shut it when someone comes over. Seriously a thrift shop will have 10 foot rubbermaids. Just set a glass of water and an ashtray on top of it or something so noone tries to open it.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WBS, Grain, or Popcorn Tek? [Re: TrippyVibrato]
    #8775260 -

be carefull when using popcorn, it contams easier than other subs

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* popcorn tek- healthy kit grain to 'corn innoc, need help! groovydan 3,592 6 03/27/03 06:25 AM
by groovydan
* popcorn tek please help!! kukusz 2,772 1 06/14/03 10:12 AM
by jonas
* Awesome rye grain h2o2 tek dimitri211 12,473 1 08/17/01 08:28 PM
by jonnyshaggs420
* Popcorn Tek Question? kjb1891 1,771 1 04/07/03 02:53 PM
by PooPs
* Popcorn Tek w/pics *Updated*
( 1 2 all )
Deviant 110,550 27 08/23/23 05:34 PM
by Myconewbie209
* popcorn tek? fleshofgods 1,601 2 03/26/03 11:46 AM
by Anonymous
* WBS vs Popcorn? KinNorvernMonkey 1,506 5 06/24/03 06:09 AM
by Hippie3
* quick grain/popcorn quesiton hyper_dermic 1,496 7 08/04/03 02:55 AM
by Baby_Hitler

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
14,666 topic views. 6 members, 58 guests and 118 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.031 seconds spending 0.013 seconds on 18 queries.