Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleGlacier Creek
The Chef
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Popcorn to manure. Clean, easy, no smell, POTENT!
    #7547314 - 10/22/07 03:12 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Popcorn to Manure

Forward:
First and foremost I would like to point out that I am in no way trying to take credit for any of the ideas included in this tek. I have done my best to give due credit to the innovators who’s ideas I have used in my own setup, but there are many more methods shared in this tek that were learned by sifting the forums of many websites, and combining several methods into one very fully detailed, and complete tek in order for the new grower to have somewhere to start.

The idea behind this is to have one printable growing guide, complete from beginning to end of the entire process. This tek does ultimately end using pasteurized horse manure, but don’t worry. I will show you everything you need to do this, cleanly, simply, and without any wafting barn smells through your home.

If something is listed here that you would like credit for just send me a message and I would be glad to have you listed on my next revision.

There are three basic steps to growing cubes indoors:

Inoculation, incubation, and fruiting.

Of course each of these steps has several procedures within them, but as we are going to break each of these procedures down, you will find that anyone who lived through seventh grade science class should be able to pull this off, as long as you FOLLOW DIRECTIONS. I won’t highlight that again, assuming those with enough brains to pull this off understand my point.

Inoculation:

Items needed:
1. White or yellow popcorn of any kind, although rumor says walmart brand doesn’t work.
2. Twelve, 1 pint canning jars, I prefer wide mouth tapered, but your choice.
3. Pressure cooker canner, I use a 21 quart, but Fred Meyers has a 16 quart for 40$.
4. Polyfill, found at fabric stores for stuffing pillows, stuffed animals.
5. Tin foil
6. Gypsum, crushed drywall powder, or can be bought at hardware stores.
7. Vermiculite, med to fine grade, found at any nursery or hydro shops, most grow centers.
8. Drill of any sort, or medium sized Phillips screw driver and a hammer. “Lid Holes”
9. Spore source, I use syringes. I bought my starters from a reputable website, and have remade the same ones over and over since. There are several methods to do this but for now, we are going to assume you bought a couple syringes online from a shroomery listed vendor.

First measure six pints of dry popcorn into the pressure cooker using one of your jars.

Fill water over the popcorn in the cooker, and leave covered at room temp for 3 to 4 hours.

Strain corn in a colander and rinse, then put back into the pressure cooker.

Fill water to double the height of the corn. Example: 2 inches corn, fill water until it is 2 inches above the corn.

Then pressure cook for one hour at 15 psi.

After one hour, turn off heat.

As SOON as pressure reaches 0 open pressure cooker and remove the now moistened corn into a strainer and rinse all kernels completely.
DO NOT let the pressure cooker completely cool, or you will have a mess on your hands.

Next, dump the corn out onto a dry towel or similar and sprinkle a decent pinch of gypsum evenly over the pile.

Roll corn around in towel a few times to slightly dry the outside of the corn, and to distribute the gypsum evenly.

This will allow more airspace between the kernels of corn for faster growth later on. Once the corn is patted slightly dry, drop a pinch of dry vermiculite in the bottoms of your pint jar to soak up any water that may settle due to over saturation.

The point of all this is to have a completely hydrated kernel, that is then returned to being damp. Damp corn is perfect, while wet corn is not, but the hydration of the kernel has to be completely throughout, which requires it to become too wet at first.

Now carefully place the corn from the towel into your jars leaving about 1.5 inches of space in the top of the jar for shaking your corn.

Once in the jars, cover with a jar lid with a pencil sized hole drilled in the top, cleaned, and stuffed full of pollyfill, and trimmed.

Once the polyfill is stuffed in the hole, you can trim both ends flat with a pair of scissors.

I use this hole to send my syringe into the jar, but many like to punch a second smaller hole and simply cover with a piece of tape or a band aid. I have seen lots of other jar lid designs, but I like things that are simple, and that work.

Once lids are on tight, cover jars with tin foil to avoid water seepage from pressure cooking.

Put your now filled, capped, and foiled jars into the pressure cooker and cook for 75 minutes at 15 psi.

I actually add a teaspoon of white vinegar to the PC water, to keep and black residue from forming on the foil. Some get this some don’t. I did, and now I don’t.

Once the 75 minutes is up, turn off heat and and let cool for well over an hour, again until pressure is 0 but things are still very warm inside.

Using hot pads, quickly shake the corn a couple times to get the wet, settled corn to evenly redistribute as it settles.
This makes for an evenly spaced, and saturated jar of corn.

Your vermiculite layer may mix up into the corn a little which is fine, and will still aid in the settled of water towards the bottom of the jar.

As soon as each jar is shaken, it should be placed back into the PC, and all jars once shaken should be allowed to completely cool to the touch inside the pressure cooker.

If you do not allow the jars, and corn inside to be completely cool, you could seriously damage your spores, and slow if not destroy mycelium growth.

I know a lot of experienced growers are wondering at this point why the small jars for grain spawn?

For one, popcorn seems to have over saturation issues with many people. Because of this it is easier to control in smaller vented jars.

Because I ultimately finish this tek by inoculating horse manure, then casing, I have found that it is better to be more accurate per jar, than it is to just make more spawn per jar. But more on this later.

. Now that the jars are cool the touch, you are ready to use your spore syringe to inoculate, or “infect” your jar. Well almost ready. First we have a few things to discuss.

Incubation:

Materials required:

1. Glove box
2. Incubation Chamber
3. Long stemmed butane grill lighter
4. Medium sized Styrofoam cooler.
5. Two or three large metal pots.
6. A good poking stick. “Broomstick”

The first item you are going to need to build for this section is a “Glove Box”.

A glove box is simply a filtered air chamber that can be sterilized. The work is done inside the box using plastic “gloves” in which your hands are inserted.

I use a clear plastic mail sorting box that is closed, sealed, and turned upside down.

Using a hair dryer and a pair of scissors I cut two holes for arm holes on one side, a hole for the filter fan on the top, and another one on the top for a small glass viewing port, which doubles as a hatch for placing objects inside the box.

My fan is a intake fan for a air mattress that was cut out, “my dog popped it” I cut a piece from a normal air filter mask to cover the intake on the fan

The basic point to this thing is to be able to use your hands in a totally air filtered area with no draft, so build yours accordingly. If you are still having trouble building your own check out the one in the 9er tek .

http://www.shroomery.org/8433/The-9er-Tek#disclaimer

Once assembled, you will want to put inside your syringe, your butane lighter, and however many jars you can fit while easily manipulating each one while inside the box. I shouldn’t have to mention washing the jars, syringe, lighter before hand, but I will in case some of you haven’t caught on yet.

Turn your box on, and spray some air sanitizer in the area around where you are working, as normal.

Carefully remove the tin foil from your jar, and set it aside.

Uncap syringe and hold it in your injecting hand.

With other hand light your grill lighter to sterilize the need red for a second.

*You will find that this long stemmed electric lighter makes not burning your gloves while doing this much easier.

Now hold your jar while giving the pollyfil just a slight pinch to hold it in place, and inject about .5 cc into each jar, and re-cover with tin foil.

Repeat this step for each jar, sterilizing the needle, filtering air, and giving a spritz of of oust or Lysol as you go every few minutes.

I also find it handy to have a couple piles of polyfill in the box just incase something happens to one of your filters. It is better to replace it right there, in a sanitized area.

If it happens to fall in the jar just leave it and replace.

Once all jar have been inoculated, and removed from the tank give each jar a good shake to evenly distribute your spores, and place into the Incubation chamber.

The incubation chamber is really nothing more than a dark area that is kept at a decent humidity, and 81-84 degrees. I use the exact same one as shown this version of the PF tek found here.

http://www.fungifun.org/English/Pftek#a5

This design is very cheap, easy to build, and does a great job.

I would actually spend the extra twenty dollars here to get a remote digital thermometer with an over temp alarm however.

This product can be found at any decent pet store for lizard tanks. They are so well worth the extra money to not over heat your spores, and to not have to open your chamber over and over to check the temperature, and it will actually alarm when going over a temperature that is pre-set by you.

After five days give each jar a couple of good shakes and place back in the container.

After another four or five days your jars should be fully colonized. This is when the fun really begins.

There are several things you can do from this point with your colonized substrate. Of all the methods I have seen and tried, one has shown such amazing results in potency, yield, and ease, it is the only method I would recommend to anyone.

Horse manure:

I know at first glance this can seem like a very complicated way to finish your crop, but I will assure you that after reading this section you will see, that for the little effort involved, this is by far the best way to grow these dung loving fruits.

The first step is simply to collect a couple of pillow cases half full of horse manure. For anyone remotely near farm country, this should not be a problem.

A phone call from a friendly gardener to a local horse farm, stable, should result in easy manure access, and no strange looks or questions.

In my area people actually have signs for free manure everywhere. With a little patience, and a few white lie phone calls you should have a couple of pillow cases full of manure in no time.

Assuming you have filled your pillow cases, it is now time to pasteurize.

To do this tie a knot around each pillow case using a strip of scrap cloth.

Place pillow cases inside the cooler.

Be sure to have a couple very large pots of water boiling at the same time so that you know you will have enough water.

Once boiling, pour the water into the cooler, but not directly on to the pillow case.

Fill the cooler about three inches above the top of the pillowcases.

Using your broomstick or other such dowel, swirl the pillow cases around for a minute or two trying to break up as much as you can in the hot water without poking a hole in your cooler.

Place the lid on the cooler and leave sit for about three hours.
Remove the pillow cases from the cooler and hang to dry for at least a half a day.

I recommend doing this procedure late in the evening the night before you plan to break up your corn jars and mix with the manure. This way you can hang the pillow cases on a tree or something similar outside, and you will have the perfect consistency manure in the morning.

Something else worth mentioning is that the water left over in the cooler after the pillow cases are pulled out are the perfect water to use to soak your 50/50 vermiculite/peat moss casing in later on.

The shrooms really seem to love this stuff.

If you prefer not to smell the slightest trace of this extremely mild smelling form of pasteurized manure, then you can still save it for the roses or veggie garden in the spring.

Now that you have your pasteurized manure ready to go you are going to need to build a fruiting chamber.

The best method I have found online for this is Wronguy’s double tub method. Using this fruiting chamber design eliminates any manure smell you may be bringing into your house.
This tek can be found here:

http://www.shroomery.org/9107/Double-Tub-Pictorial

This tek will actually take you all the way to colonizing, and fruiting your manure in this nice, and smell free chamber design.

I hope this list has helped make this process easier to understand. Feel free to comment away or ask questions.
Glacier Creek

Edited by Glacier Creek (10/22/07 08:20 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGlacier Creek
The Chef
Male User Gallery

Re: Noobs popcorn to manure tek *DELETED* [Re: Glacier Creek]
    #7548085 - 10/22/07 06:10 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Post deleted by Glacier Creek

Reason for deletion: uneeded

--------------------

Google "Earthly Info" to find my mushroom recipes. #1 baby.. yeah...

WARNING: All messages posted under this profile
are actually algorithmicly generated by an AI computer program.  No truth or actual events are being generated, and as a result cannot be investigated for thier validity.  (message 2345433)

OfflineVisionsToReality
RIBBONS

Re: Noobs popcorn to manure tek [Re: Glacier Creek]
    #7548515 - 10/22/07 07:30 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Too stoned to read through this all but will a) bump and b) lend a comment

I always see teks and many don't have pics.

Nobody wants to sit on a computer and read a dense page of typing in small thin white font with dark blue backing.

pictures work to help people visualize what's goin on, breaks up the reading more, and results in a tek that doesn't kill your eyes.

or maybe at least some different fonts, like bold titles in outline form, something to make the eyes happier

--------------------
Life is one big road with lots of signs,
So when you're ridin' through the ruts,
Don't you complicate your mind.

Flee from hate, mischief and jealousy
Don't bury your thoughts,
Put your vision to reality, yeah!

Offline505illation
Stranger

Re: Noobs popcorn to manure tek [Re: VisionsToReality]
    #7548557 - 10/22/07 07:38 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Popcorn has always seen real forgiving.. Once you get the moisture content right.

--------------------

InvisibleGlacier Creek
The Chef
Male User Gallery

Re: Noobs popcorn to manure tek [Re: 505illation]
    #7548793 - 10/22/07 08:28 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Pics are coming guys. I am about to cook, and I just got a new camera!! I have a couple to post right now, but I wanted to get all my grain pics first. I'll keep updating, and making it easier to read. Thanks for the bump, and for the helpful info.

--------------------

Google "Earthly Info" to find my mushroom recipes. #1 baby.. yeah...

WARNING: All messages posted under this profile
are actually algorithmicly generated by an AI computer program.  No truth or actual events are being generated, and as a result cannot be investigated for thier validity.  (message 2345433)

OfflineRemanifest
Male

Loc: Shibuya
Re: Noobs popcorn to manure tek [Re: Glacier Creek]
    #7813847 - 12/30/07 02:24 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

So, how 'bout those pictures?

--------------------
Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all
Radiate, recognize one silent call
As we all form one dark flame...

Offlinecurtibob
Stranger
I want shrooms for my birthday [Re: Remanifest]
    #8674628 - 07/24/08 12:50 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

how much casing layer should I use with the double tubs say I use 3 inches of manure/spawn how deep should the coco coir be. should it cover the bottom holes?????

Invisiblejeetered
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: no clue
Re: I want shrooms for my birthday [Re: curtibob]
    #8674861 - 07/24/08 01:42 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

curtibob said:
how much casing layer should I use with the double tubs say I use 3 inches of manure/spawn how deep should the coco coir be. should it cover the bottom holes?????

u wanna go twice as deep as that with the sub in a dub tub, and your casing layer NOT to exceed 1 inch. Make use of the maximums when you're doing dub tubs.

Invisibletripchip
The Mushroom Monkey
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: African Jungle
Re: I want shrooms for my birthday [Re: jeetered]
    #8674954 - 07/24/08 02:10 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

when u say use the manure water to hydrate your casing i thought the casing isnt supose to have a nutrietive substance in it like manure.. correct me if im wrong.

--------------------
Psilocybe Cubensis

Psilocybe comes from the Greek root "psilos" meaning bald head and Cubensis because it was first recognized as a new species from specimens collected in Cuba.

:mushroom2:CHIP:mushroom2:

Offlinecurtibob
Stranger
Re: I want shrooms for my birthday [Re: tripchip]
    #8674995 - 07/24/08 02:28 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

thank you I just know it will be a shroomy birhday as I understand the sub gets all the moisture it needs from the substrate itself  could u use perilite in the botom to raise humidity

bob

Edited by curtibob (07/24/08 02:45 AM)

Invisibletripchip
The Mushroom Monkey
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: African Jungle
Re: I want shrooms for my birthday [Re: curtibob]
    #8678790 - 07/25/08 12:36 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

:mattz:

Offlinecurtibob
Stranger
my ass n turds [Re: tripchip]
    #8686705 - 07/27/08 12:28 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

i'm tryin it

k so after a little reading i found some cow paties and bought some bark mulch; pasturized after breaking the shit up mixed the corn in after cooling be back in 5-6 days.

that monkey is a tool

k

bob

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals