Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Anonymous

Teachability
    #863111 - 09/04/02 09:15 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Since what we know is based on what we learn and what we learn is based on information that comes from outside ourselves, how can we learn to incorporate new ideas that might conflict with our current ideology?

*Note: I am not suggesting that there is no knowledge that comes from self-reflection. I am merely trying to determine how we are able to change our way of looking at the world.

I think a large part of being able to process and incorporate new data into our existing knowledge base to the point where it creates a paradigm shift is the ability to be taught, in other words, teachability.

Impediments to this are things like stubbornness, inflexibility, pride, close-mindedness, fear of new ideas, etc. I think the basis for every example is rooted in the ego.

This brings up another point. Namely, if we cannot learn how to paradigm shift then how do we learn anything at all?

I think that people have a vested interest in maintaining that which they think will preserve, protect, and defend the ego. If a new piece of data comes in it is quickly assimilated into the existing paradigm or rejected because it conflicts with the existing paradigm too much and cannot be assimiliated.

Are there any other thoughts on this matter?

Cheers,

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: Teachability [Re: ]
    #863368 - 09/04/02 12:02 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I thought this thread was going to be about something else...
Still good though. :wink:

Hmmm... paradigm shifts....
Yeah, I've found that learning the history of philosophy has helped me out quite a bit.  Learn how to use your ability to doubt... yeah, recognize the patterns of refutation and adaptation... all that stuff helps pry your lid.

I think close-mindedness is a condition due to a less-than-optimal ego/pride/stubborness configuration. 

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
    #863411 - 09/04/02 12:33 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Impediments to this are things like stubbornness, inflexibility, pride, close-mindedness, fear of new ideas, etc. I think the basis for every example is rooted in the ego.

We all have a bit of this. If a paradigm shift rendered philosophy irrelevent, wouln't you resist? just a little?

To be human is to have an ego. We all want to be right, even when we're wrong. And when we're wrong, we want to change the world so that we are right. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes it takes a big ego to change the status quo.

on a related note, why is "I" capitalized?

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
    #863429 - 09/04/02 12:45 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

> how can we learn to incorporate new ideas that might conflict with our current ideology?

How did you get the current ideology in the first place?  Likely by the same process that you incorporate new ideas.  After all, from birth, every idea is new. 

IMHO, an ideology is an abstract model of reality; if reality is changing, then we must adjust our models accordingly.

To make a new model, incorporate a new idea, then hold the model against reality.  If it makes sense, then go with it.  If it doesn't work, learn from the mistake. 

I think that our brains may use mushrooms as a means to mentally overlay ideological concepts onto sensual reality, and from this we can consciously visualize and experience the validity of our beliefs. 

>if we cannot learn how to paradigm shift then how do we learn anything at all?

I'll bet everyone here had a paradigm shift when they first ate a mushroom! heheh  :grin:

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

OfflineZahid
Stranger
Re: Teachability [Re: infidelGOD]
    #863638 - 09/04/02 02:41 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Very true. Often people put too much trust in their own perceptions.

--------------------

Anonymous

#863663 - 09/04/02 02:56 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I think you are correct, ego is a big thing to most people, it comes first and they defend it. I do not believe in having a strong ego, the laid back approach to everything (except if my feet were burning at a very rapid rate) seems to make other new thoughts and ideas more processible for ones mind to fundel with.
*Laid back all the way never brings a bad day* (that`s what i always say) :grin: 

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #863861 - 09/04/02 05:10 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Since what we know is based on what we learn and what we learn is based on information that comes from outside ourselves

Drop this assumption and you answered your own question.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Anonymous

Re: Teachability [Re: Seuss]
    #863874 - 09/04/02 05:20 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Good thoughts all!

To Seuss: Helen Keller? or did you miss the note?

Cheers?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology