Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]
Re: Vista - not so full of fail [Re: Shroomism]
    #8579881 -

The problem here sounds like your copy of XP.

My laptop had vista, crashed all the time, even had sp1. Now it has a bootlegged (I'm not giving a penny to that company, and with this laptop and it's subsidy, they paid me money) copy of XP and runs fine.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Vista - not so full of fail [Re: Shroomism]
    #8579902 -

Yeah I have cracked copy of XP and Vista, figured I would try out Vista. I haven't had any problems so far so I'm liking it. Most the features I don't care about, but the one thing I do really like about Vista is Superfetch. All the programs I regularly use load up fast as hell, and restarts are really fast. Haven't noticed any FPS drop or performance issues in games either so over all pretty happy with it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Vista - not so full of fail [Re: darklcd]
    #8580148 -

Anyone remember back when XP was first released and EVERYONE hated it because it had shitloads of security errors?  Then they went away with the first and second service packages and everyone was praising XP, and tossing 2000 out the window, which months earlier they were praising over XP.

Same thing is going on with Vista hehe. :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Vista - not so full of fail [Re: Maverick]
    #8580153 -

I had a beta copy then that I used until last month, it wasnt as
buggy as the official releases and it was so much more compact

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Vista - not so full of fail [Re: Maverick]
    #8580180 -

DRTMaverick said:
Anyone remember back when XP was first released and EVERYONE hated it because it had shitloads of security errors?  Then they went away with the first and second service packages and everyone was praising XP, and tossing 2000 out the window, which months earlier they were praising over XP.

Same thing is going on with Vista hehe. :smile:



It wouldn't be as bad though if Windows 7 wasn't coming out so soon.  It makes Vista's life look pointless.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Vista - not so full of fail [Re: Newbie]
    #8580202 -

Yeah, lately everyone's rushing releases.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Vista - not so full of fail [Re: Maverick]
    #8580212 -

thats why you should have bought a mac :wink:  but hey its all preference right?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Vista - not so full of fail [Re: JesGresh3]
    #8580235 -

Yeah but mac OS X stopped impressing me in 04.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Vista - not so full of fail [Re: ivi]
    #8580301 -

I hate Vista with a vengeance. If i could meet the people responsible for that mess, i would beat them unmercifully.


--------------------
~The Cultivators Motherload~

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies.
My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness."-Dalai Lama

Live long and prosper.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Vista - not so full of fail [Re: Kada]
    #8580344 -

I'm a tech at a large community college and one day we were talking about Vista and a guy I worked with started talking smack about it, I asked him if he had ever used it and of course he said no.

I'm willing to bet that 90% of the people who talk shit about it have never used it or have never used it more than a couple times. Another 8% are probably hard core linux users who hate all M$ products no matter what and the last 2% are people who have tried it and genuinely just like XP better.

I installed it last summer and yes it did have quite a few problems, I went back to XP after about a month of using it. Then I installed it, I believe it was last December and even before SP1 there were drastic improvements. I'm now running with SP1 and a few tweaks and I love it. I think it boots up faster, and recovers from crashes way better than XP.

In XP if you had to open task manager and end a non responsive program or process it could take a very long time. With Vista I rarely have to open task manager to end processes, if something starts to crash Vista 9 times out of 10 will recover on it's own.
:2cents:


--------------------
Man says, "God, show me and I will believe." God says, "Believe and I will show you."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Vista - not so full of fail [Re: Aiko Aiko]
    #8580484 -

Gobblin said:
In XP if you had to open task manager and end a non responsive program or process it could take a very long time. With Vista I rarely have to open task manager to end processes, if something starts to crash Vista 9 times out of 10 will recover on it's own.
:2cents:



no difference with what I've seen in XP, only reason I ever open
taskman is to demonstrate my impatience in not wanting to wait the
30 seconds for it to recover, nrmally I can kill it with just a
right click but most times I dont have non-response issues

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Vista - not so full of fail [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #8580550 -

The taskman also has a shit ton better montioring tools and statistics built in on Vista then any previous version.  You know, the 'performance' tab on the taskman window that pops up.

I'm sorry but vista is superior.  I could go on and on and I *AM* the linux guy who hates all MS products.

Of course, Vista only belongs on a desktop.  Never on a server.  But fuck XP.


--------------------
Nothing says love like grannies prolapsed anus!

quote]Urb said:
I know... Its fucked up... Ill fix it minyana..[/quote]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Vista - not so full of fail [Re: mndfreeze]
    #8580586 -

I hate M$ stuff myself but for some reason my current system
rejects ever build of linux and I'm sure that Vistas task man
doesnt have the most important tool for dealing with windows OSs

the big fucking hammer

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Vista - not so full of fail [Re: ivi]
    #8580880 -

I havent read the thread, but your BIOS couldve been making XP have intermittent problems like you were describing. Alot of newer machines are made specifically for Vista. I dont know how many I would get for repairs (worked at a Toshiba facility) that were due to people trying to use XP, when the BIOS doesnt support it. I fucking hate BIOS, it can even make your cooling fan(s) run constantly if not updated, lol.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Vista - not so full of fail [Re: FungusMan]
    #8580984 -

When is SP2 coming out? I have some propblems and compatablity issues I'd like worked out. Sometimes I can't install certain updates.

IMO the jury is still out on Vista. And I am a little pissed that W7 is coming next year. :kingcrankey:


--------------------
My advice is to find those things that give pleasure and do them often without too much attachment and relax and wait for the show to end.

-Icelander-

I like free markets and all. Truly I do, at least in general, but there needs to be some kind of oversight in recognition of sustainability. Life works the same way, on a bunch of sustainable systems. Why not honor what made us what we are and take some lessons? Nature FTW!

~dill705~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Vista - not so full of fail [Re: Shroomism]
    #8581023 -

If it weren't for your addiction to games, you'd love the performance of the 64 bit version.

Yeah, Vista has problems that even MS can't fix so it has to be re-installed every 6 months or so, but I'll never go back to the doggedly slowness of a 32 bit OS.


--------------------
================================================



"Have some congratulatory drugs." - C. Montgomery Burns

I'll probably always do drugs, so that just contributes to the addiction to The Shroomery... It's a vicious circle of bliss. :tongue2:

TM™ :cool:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Vista - not so full of fail [Re: Shroomism]
    #8581246 -

You should give Linux a try. If I can't have my mac, Linux is the best alternative for me. I run a computer business that services the IT needs of small businesses. A lot of them are buying new machines with Vista which causes me more headaches than I can account for. I don't think I could ever jump of the "anti vista bandwagon" as someone put it. In fact, it's getting harder all the time to fully support my customers as I don't have a Vista machine to play with, break myself, and fix...Nor will I ever have one.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Vista - not so full of fail [Re: Kada]
    #8581542 -

Kada said:
I hate Vista with a vengeance. If i could meet the people responsible for that mess, i would beat them unmercifully.



What was wrong with it for you?

You've used it... right?

The only thing that I didn't like about vista right off the bat was the new audio control panel.  I wish the bass and treble were easier to access, and I wish you could switch it to view by input rather than by program.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Vista - not so full of fail [Re: FungusMan]
    #8581587 -

FungusMan said:
I havent read the thread, but your BIOS couldve been making XP have intermittent problems like you were describing. Alot of newer machines are made specifically for Vista. I dont know how many I would get for repairs (worked at a Toshiba facility) that were due to people trying to use XP, when the BIOS doesnt support it. I fucking hate BIOS, it can even make your cooling fan(s) run constantly if not updated, lol.



Interesting... because I do have a Toshiba (X-205 SLi2)


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Vista - not so full of fail [Re: Shroomism]
    #8581609 -

http://www.arsgeek.com/?p=4034

Quote:
REDMOND, Wash., June 30, 2008 — Microsoft Corp. today announced that the development of the Microsoft® Windows® Vista® Millennium Edition® Two® (Windows Vista Me 2®) consumer operating system has entered beta release and is set to ship to manufacturing in February of 2009. Windows Vista Me 2 is the latest version of the Microsoft operating system designed specifically for the home user. It improves the home computing experience by delivering enhancements in the areas of Virtualization, PC health, digital media, home networking and the online experience. Consumers will be able to purchase retail versions of Windows Vista Me 2 February 28, 2009.




:lol:

Windows Vista Me 2 

:rofl:


--------------------
Every mistake, intentional or otherwise, in the above post, is the fault of the reader.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* anthony installs windows vista
( 1 2 all )
KingOftheThing 2,578 21 02/03/07 11:54 AM
by Boom
* Windows Vista Transformation Tool
( 1 2 all )
NewbieS 2,552 22 10/23/06 12:34 AM
by snoot
* Anyone using Windows Vista? HUBSonDUBS 647 3 05/11/06 12:07 PM
by coda
* A year full of compliments
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Spooge 6,019 72 05/30/08 06:30 PM
by Jack Albertson
* bios updates? onetime 506 7 12/29/04 01:32 AM
by onetime
* Grateful Dead show archiving update
( 1 2 3 all )
Lightningfractal 4,943 42 01/12/04 08:11 PM
by Lightningfractal
* Test Windows Vista RC1 Legally till 6/07 stew248 1,422 10 09/22/06 03:52 PM
by supercollider
* Can't install modem Thin White Duke 871 4 04/26/05 08:46 AM
by BloodNOil

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
2,987 topic views. 2 members, 8 guests and 101 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.033 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.