Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]
Vista - not so full of fail
    #8578134 -

So, I've talked a lot of shit about Vista. It's a resource hog, full of bugs, etc, etc..

Well basically, I got my new laptop about 7 months ago and it came with Vista, but I ditched it and installed a pirated version of XP pro instead. Which was cool. Aside from it taking me almost 2 weeks to find and get the proper drivers installed. It worked pretty good, but I was pissed off I couldn't install certain updates and I kept getting weird errors and would have to restart whenever I unplugged my ethernet cable. Which was no doubt due to my pirated XP slipstream but I digress..

So I love XP, and I was vehemently against Vista.. especially in terms of performance. But I'd had enough of these stupid errors and unable to download certain updates, and I heard vista has been doing a lot better since SP1, so I decided to try and install it.

I like. Of course, I had to tweak the shit out of it, disable a bunch of services, edit some registry settings, etc.. to get it running at best performance. But it's pretty damn nice now. My laptop is far from "top of the line", but it's pretty good, 2gb ram, 2.4ghz duo core, 2x8600M GTs in SLi, and after a day, a bunch of tweaks and getting the latest drivers.. I have Vista running smooth as butter.
I must say I do like the new menus and whatnot, aero is pretty sleek.

So for all the shit I've talked about Vista, it's not that bad anymore. Sure, it had a lot of flaws a year ago.. but SP1 fixed a lot of issues and Nvidia is finally on the ball with drivers.
Now the true test comes in gaming performance. Let's see if my games will still run at the same FPS.. I just had to see what I was missing with DX10.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Vista [Re: Shroomism]
    #8578149 -

Way to jump on the anti vista bandwagon without actually using it. :wink:


--------------------
Nothing says love like grannies prolapsed anus!

quote]Urb said:
I know... Its fucked up... Ill fix it minyana..[/quote]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Vista [Re: mndfreeze]
    #8578157 -

No.. I did use it when I first got my laptop... for about a week. I hated it. It ran slow as shit, I could barely even play my games on it.

I mean granted, I didn't try stuff like disabling sidebar and whatnot.. but out of the box after a fresh install with no bloatware it was running like shit and that was just unacceptable. I installed XP and even though it took me like a week to get it properly installed I didn't have any slowness issues.
I mean 4 GB of RAM would have helped, but shit, 2GB should be enough.
But at least it's running better now..


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Vista [Re: Shroomism]
    #8578161 -

After I installed SP1 Vista calmed down a little. But I don't think Microsoft put enough into it. They put the bare essential and removed many things they were talking about putting in and I think they could have done more to cover more of the compatibility issues it has. I'm waiting for SP2 before I say that I like Vista. Just like with XP vista won't be more reliable until the second service pack comes out.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Vista [Re: googlemeplz]
    #8578195 -

All the hate for Vista.  :nonono:  I run it tweaked and have had it for... I'm not sure, at least a year, and I love it. I hear people complaining about it all the time and I don't try to argue anymore I just roll my eyes and let them bash an OS they haven't even used for more than a few minutes or hours.

Edited by never.never.land (06/29/08 06:30 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Vista - not so full of fail [Re: Shroomism]
    #8578219 -

strange... I have a version of XP that allowed me the 2 SP updates
and doesnt ask for authentication... I still dont run vista

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Vista [Re: never.never.land]
    #8578279 -

never.never.land said:
All the hate for Vista.  :nonono:  I run it tweaked and have had it for... I'm not sure, at least a year, and I love it. I hear people complaining about it all the time and I don't try to argue anymore I just roll my eyes and let them bash an OS they haven't even used for more than a few minutes or hours.



Ive had less problems with Vista on my new machine than with XP. Granted I have cut back on the downloading a bit but I have had no problems with Vista. :shrug:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Vista [Re: KillerPicklez]
    #8578411 -

Vistas nice, but XP allowed me to do so much more in the way of getting things I had no right to have


--------------------
CLICK HERE FOR GOOD MUSIC

CLICK HERE FOR GOOD MUSIC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Vista [Re: drok]
    #8578428 -

lol

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Vista - not so full of fail [Re: Shroomism]
    #8578462 -

Vista is crap. Maybe after SP5 gets released... But I'll be looong gone.


--------------------
Every Animal Is Someone 🌱 watchdominion.org

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Vista - not so full of fail [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #8578466 -

Prisoner#1 said:
strange... I have a version of XP that allowed me the 2 SP updates
and doesnt ask for authentication... I still dont run vista



Maybe my version was fubared or something. I had SP2.. but I couldn't get any of the critical updates that required windows genuine advantage or whatever.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Vista - not so full of fail [Re: Shroomism]
    #8578470 -

You suck at pirating.


--------------------
Every mistake, intentional or otherwise, in the above post, is the fault of the reader.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Vista - not so full of fail [Re: Shroomism]
    #8578481 -

Shroomism said:
Maybe my version was fubared or something. I had SP2.. but I couldn't get any of the critical updates that required windows genuine advantage or whatever.




I have friends in teh scene, I been around a year or two, I get
lots of cool stuf that normally may never hit a torrent tracker

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Vista - not so full of fail [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #8578494 -

Windows Vista has stopped working.


--------------------
Every Animal Is Someone 🌱 watchdominion.org

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Vista - not so full of fail [Re: Penguarky Tunguin]
    #8578508 -

:shrug: I tried everything I could.. changing and cracking the activation key.. windiz.com, etc. etc.. I'm not a computer hacking expert.

But, not being able to update was not the reason I switched.. it was mostly that stupid error I would get whenever my internet would spike or something, which basically forced me to reset.. and it happened multiple times a day. It was most likely a bad driver or something in the install, but I reinstalled fresh about 6 times and it kept doing it :shrug:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Vista - not so full of fail [Re: Shroomism]
    #8578516 -

eh it's all about the version you get - any XP with a volume license key is fine - I always get updates

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Vista - not so full of fail [Re: Boom]
    #8578525 -

Well if you guys have a super 1337 version of XP, hook a brotha up in case I decide to switch back :smile:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Vista - not so full of fail [Re: Shroomism]
    #8578555 -

I like the sidebar in Vista. :shrug:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Vista - not so full of fail [Re: Shroomism]
    #8578564 -

Shroomism said:
Well if you guys have a super 1337 version of XP, hook a brotha up in case I decide to switch back :smile:



lemme know when

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Vista - not so full of fail [Re: Redstorm]
    #8578623 -

I disabled the sidebar cause it eats up too many resources.. and I like my shit running as minimal as possible.. mostly so it doesn't effect my games. Maybe if I had more RAM and a faster processor it wouldn't be a big deal.. but it's definitely noticeable.

Anyway I'm sticking with Vista for now.. if it starts acting funky on me I'll probably go back to XP, but I kind of like it for now.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* anthony installs windows vista
( 1 2 all )
KingOftheThing 2,578 21 02/03/07 11:54 AM
by Boom
* Windows Vista Transformation Tool
( 1 2 all )
NewbieS 2,552 22 10/23/06 12:34 AM
by snoot
* Anyone using Windows Vista? HUBSonDUBS 647 3 05/11/06 12:07 PM
by coda
* A year full of compliments
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Spooge 6,019 72 05/30/08 06:30 PM
by Jack Albertson
* bios updates? onetime 506 7 12/29/04 01:32 AM
by onetime
* Grateful Dead show archiving update
( 1 2 3 all )
Lightningfractal 4,943 42 01/12/04 08:11 PM
by Lightningfractal
* Test Windows Vista RC1 Legally till 6/07 stew248 1,422 10 09/22/06 03:52 PM
by supercollider
* Can't install modem Thin White Duke 871 4 04/26/05 08:46 AM
by BloodNOil

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
2,987 topic views. 5 members, 15 guests and 115 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.035 seconds spending 0.01 seconds on 18 queries.