Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Craigslist - is this guy trying to scam me.
    #8567473 -

so i'm selling my guitar on craigslist and this is what the guy sends me.


<message>
Thanks for the prompt response to my mail, due to the nature of my job
i wont be available for the pick up.I have engaged the services of
movers to do the pick up for me after you receive your payment.

My Bank will be processing and mailing a certified bank check to cover
the cost of my purchase as I'm completely satisfied with the advert.I
will need the details of whom & where to mail the check.It will be
delivered by the United Parcel
Service within 2-3 days.


1.Name to be on the check
2.Home address
3.Phone num.

Please note 'United Parcel Service' do not
deliver to P.O.Box addresses

Kindly delete the posting as I am totally committed to buying it from
you to save me cost of buying a new one.
</message>

i'm not really keen on taking a check i dunno, its just a really weird situation.  Does anyone else think this looks like a scam or am i being paranoid?


--------------------
now i hear the police comin after me

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Craigslist - is this guy trying to scam me. [Re: doitagain]
    #8567492 -

Sure the hell sounds like it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Craigslist - is this guy trying to scam me. [Re: doitagain]
    #8567499 -

fuck checks. its going to bounce like erika elenika's tits on baywatch.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Craigslist - is this guy trying to scam me. [Re: durban_poison]
    #8567502 -

is he the president of a Nigerian bank too?


--------------------
CLICK HERE FOR GOOD MUSIC

CLICK HERE FOR GOOD MUSIC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Craigslist - is this guy trying to scam me. [Re: durban_poison]
    #8567512 -

wait till it clears?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Craigslist - is this guy trying to scam me. [Re: durban_poison]
    #8567553 -

yeah, that just didn't sit right.  I replied to him that i can only accept cash.  fuck checks.


--------------------
now i hear the police comin after me

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Craigslist - is this guy trying to scam me. [Re: doitagain]
    #8567555 -

postal money order only!

no certified checks
no cashiers checks
no personal checks
no store bought money orders

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Craigslist - is this guy trying to scam me. [Re: doitagain]
    #8567575 -

Why would you possibly need movers for this?  Craigslist transactions should be done in person with cash imo.


--------------------

Discuss Politics

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Craigslist - is this guy trying to scam me. [Re: druqs]
    #8567576 -

no, wait till its paid, then wait some more.


But I'd bet this is the ol money order/cashiers check for too much, send me back my money via post and I'll pick up your shit.


The fakes are decent and by the time your bank notifies you its a scam, the guy's long gone.


Or it may be tied up w/ western union, nother scam, for the refund of the check being too much.


It could just be a check bouncing, but I doubt it, he'll want extra money.  Why not play along?  Take his check, when it comes, from nigeria or europe, call the issuing bank to confirm the account number and check.  This will at least let you figure out if the account number exists for that person, generally, or if it is formated correctly.


Worst case scenario, you get a phony check and piss the guy off.  Actually that's the best case scenario too.

Think about it, who the fuck pays for a mover for a guitar?  That's your problem, not his.

Did you get an email?  Paste the header here, look up how to do it if your not sure, and just delete your own email address and IP, if its even on there.  I bet he's from nigeria or eastern europe.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Craigslist - is this guy trying to scam me. [Re: doitagain]
    #8567604 -

Yes, he is.  Don't sell it to him.


--------------------
"You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here." -Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Craigslist - is this guy trying to scam me. [Re: vitadura]
    #8567679 -

One of the people (retards) I'm subbing with (renting) got conned into the too much money trick. She got a nice cheque for $5000 didn't wait the 3 weeks she should have and sent the guy back $2000.

Which is sad cause I wanted her to move out.


--------------------

I've made  few spore choices in my life. :mushroom2:
Chop... Drop... and Roll

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Craigslist - is this guy trying to scam me. [Re: vitadura]
    #8567697 -

oh i'm not going to, i told him cash only, so on the off chance he is for real he'll find a way to pay with cash.


--------------------
now i hear the police comin after me

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Craigslist - is this guy trying to scam me. [Re: doitagain]
    #8567740 -

Yeah it's a scam.

I stupidly fell for something similar, the guy sent me a check and wanted me to send the item as soon as I got the check.. I told him fuck that, I'll send it after the check clears. So I deposited it and a week later it hadn't gone through so I went to the bank and asked what was up and they are like, yes sir.. your account has been forfeit due to depositing a fraudulent check and you now owe us XX amount of dollars. I just went... what the fuck.. you're going to charge ME for TRYING to deposit a check.. how the fuck am I supposed to know a check is fraudulent or not.. you are the fucking bank.

So yeah, now I'm blacklisted from like every bank.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Craigslist - is this guy trying to scam me. [Re: Shroomism]
    #8567764 -

Woah, seriously... that's fucked up man.

Damn scammers.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Craigslist - is this guy trying to scam me. [Re: Brugman]
    #8567792 -

Yeah.. motherfuckers.

I just don't/didn't understand how they can just completely fuck you over like that, over something you had no clue about. It's not like the bank put the money in my account and I went and spent it or something. They found it was a bad check.. FROM SOMEONE ELSE, and closed my account and blacklisted me.. I mean what the fuck man.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Craigslist - is this guy trying to scam me. [Re: Shroomism]
    #8567815 -

yeah thats pretty fucked.


--------------------
now i hear the police comin after me

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Craigslist - is this guy trying to scam me. [Re: doitagain]
    #8567829 -

I mean luckily, I only had like 80 bucks in the bank at the time, so I just said fuck you guys I'm out, you have my money.
But since then I've been to like 7 different banks trying to open accounts and they are all like fuck off :crankey:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Craigslist - is this guy trying to scam me. [Re: Shroomism]
    #8567850 -

Shroomism said:
Yeah.. motherfuckers.

I just don't/didn't understand how they can just completely fuck you over like that, over something you had no clue about. It's not like the bank put the money in my account and I went and spent it or something. They found it was a bad check.. FROM SOMEONE ELSE, and closed my account and blacklisted me.. I mean what the fuck man. 




Did they blacklist you for depositing a false check or for not paying an overdraft/bounced check/some other fee?

I understand the later is a result of the former, but whatever.  You should get a chex systems report, its free once a year, and figure out what they really reported you for.  Do they claim you owe them money?


I don't recall a per se cashing a forged check code for chexsystems, but maybe I'm wrong.  If they're trying to say you defrauded them, but you don't owe them any money, then you should resolve it with the bank/chexsystems and make them prove that.


Either way my guess, from when I looked at all their codes, is that the bank is lieing on their form and saying you knew about the scam or that you simply owe them money as a consequence of the check bouncing and fees.



To the original poster.  I'd tell him to send the check and then just never do anything.  They sen those from overseas and so it will cost tons of dough to get it to you- less they have to work with.  Will help out others.

And did you get emailed from this guy?  Did you check the header?  Where does he say he's from and where is he really from?  If he's using a proxy that's another red flag.

If you can't read em, then post it here and someone will, but they're pretty easy to, just google.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Craigslist - is this guy trying to scam me. [Re: johnm214]
    #8567869 -

Well.. I didn't have any overdraft fees or anything.. like I said my account had like 80 bucks in it.. and they were claiming I owed them money for them closing my account or some such? I was like what the fuck happened to the money in my account? Even if they did charge me for the check bouncing or whatever (but it didn't bounce it was a "fraudulent" check), I would have had the funds in my account to cover it.

They just straight up said it was a fraudulent check and your account has been closed. The way the guy was talking to me, I'm pretty sure they probably thought I was trying to scam them or something.

And yeah the other banks said something about chex systems. It's a free report you say.. hmm I'm gonna look into that.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Craigslist - is this guy trying to scam me. [Re: Shroomism]
    #8567896 -

yeah, read the fair credit reporting act.  Or don't, and just mail them a certified letter asking for your report and including two forms of ID.

They probably lied and said you defrauded them or said you owe them money.  Either way you'll figure it out.

If its the money, file a dispute, mail the bank, and get the agreement in force and see if the fees really exist/get an accounting of the moneys.

THen see what your up against.  If they charged you a shitload of fees you're probably screwed unless they weren't in the account agreement, but better to know what the real deal is right?  Tellers and bank telephone operators are f'in stupid and don't know shit.  Figure out if there's a basis and go from there.  If they alleged you defrauded them or something, I'd write letters and finally sue in small claims.

Shouldn't be hard to show you had no knowledge the check was a fraud, since they'll have no evidence otherwise and you can testify.  They'll probably settle for deleting the info on chex systems and calling it even.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Craigslist job scam?
( 1 2 all )
stonedexile 2,547 20 07/20/10 03:24 PM
by Phychotron
* New Craigslist Scam DiploidM 4,853 17 04/02/08 11:51 AM
by StonedShroom
* Is this a scam? I suck with money stuff
( 1 2 3 all )
Drewwyann 3,867 43 08/24/09 12:28 AM
by Neuron
* Craigslist Scam sheldogg5 626 12 03/16/11 01:53 PM
by sheldogg5
* Anyone ever sold a car on Craigslist? ShockValue 426 8 02/06/10 07:48 AM
by RobMarley420
* craigslist scam?
( 1 2 3 all )
Psy Baba 3,567 43 06/07/10 02:50 AM
by SouthernGulfStyle
* ive been looking for a car too, on craigslist. read this email i got
( 1 2 all )
Poor Boy 1,018 21 01/29/12 08:38 PM
by Poor Boy
* Pretty sure this is a scam.....but how?
( 1 2 all )
ShroomismM 3,374 34 09/29/12 08:49 PM
by Ojom

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
2,976 topic views. 7 members, 8 guests and 154 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.036 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 16 queries.