Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Puerto Rican Ganoderma Isolation! (Updated with better pics) * 1
    #8312940 -

Some of you might remember my Ganoderma specimen I found in Puerto Rico.




After cutting a small cube of the inner pore tissue out, I swiped the cube across the center of a single PDA plate. 8 days later I had a single tiny white germination spot.

8 days after germination the plate looks like this.

EDIT: Are the thicker rhizo parts "sectors"? For some reason it looks to me as though there aren't any sectors. Atleast not what I've seen from other species. There are usually "lines" between the sectors.

I'll be transferring a piece of this plate to a MEA plate later tomorrow.

Seems I got lucky and had 0 contams and it even looks to be growing very evenly. Shouldn't be hard to get a few isolates from this culture.


--------------------
Message me for free microscopy services on Psilocybe, Panaeolus, and Gymnopilus species.

Looking for wild Panaeolus species prints. Msg me for trades.

Edited by BlimeyGrimey (04/23/08 03:25 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Puerto Rican Ganoderma Isolation! [Re: BlimeyGrimey] * 1
    #8313968 -

Is the mycelium the actual color shown in the picture? Ganoderma Lucium mycelium on agar is white, though it could be possible this Ganoderma looks like that. If it were me, though, I'd consider that a very possible contamination


--------------------
It's easy! Send your clean prints to www.fsrcanada.com

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Puerto Rican Ganoderma Isolation! [Re: Andrew47] * 1
    #8314950 -

The culture is pure white, with a "papery" look to it. Hard to explain but the edges of the mycelium look like torn soft toilet paper.

The color you see in the picture is because it was placed against my monitor to backlight it.


--------------------
Message me for free microscopy services on Psilocybe, Panaeolus, and Gymnopilus species.

Looking for wild Panaeolus species prints. Msg me for trades.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Puerto Rican Ganoderma Isolation! [Re: Andrew47] * 1
    #8319362 -

Close up of mycelium:


Backlight pic:


--------------------
Message me for free microscopy services on Psilocybe, Panaeolus, and Gymnopilus species.

Looking for wild Panaeolus species prints. Msg me for trades.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Puerto Rican Ganoderma Isolation! [Re: BlimeyGrimey] * 1
    #8322360 -

Looks like Ganoderma mycelium  :smile:  Congrats, that's a pretty cool achievement, picking a mushroom in the tropics and cloning it back at home


--------------------
It's easy! Send your clean prints to www.fsrcanada.com

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Puerto Rican Ganoderma Isolation! [Re: Andrew47] * 1
    #8326901 -

Thanks!

Yea, I'm 100% its Ganoderma mycelium now. I opened the dish to transfer a piece to a MEA dish and I noticed the mycelium is starting to get that tan faded color to it like most Ganoderma species do.

I'm amazed that I got a clean culture with no contams on the very first try!!

I'll be throwing a wedge into some aspen shavings later once I get my PC to sterilze it. Then I'll spawn that to alder or something with more substance to it.


--------------------
Message me for free microscopy services on Psilocybe, Panaeolus, and Gymnopilus species.

Looking for wild Panaeolus species prints. Msg me for trades.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Puerto Rican Ganoderma Isolation! [Re: BlimeyGrimey] * 1
    #8406967 -

The transfer to MEA is going well.

Top-Lit Pic:


Backlit Pic:


--------------------
Message me for free microscopy services on Psilocybe, Panaeolus, and Gymnopilus species.

Looking for wild Panaeolus species prints. Msg me for trades.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Puerto Rican Ganoderma Isolation! [Re: BlimeyGrimey] * 1
    #8449693 -

New better pics of the specimen.

Pic 1


Pic 2 (You can see the cube I cut out to streak on agar)


Pic 3 (Notice the fine yellow edge)


Pic 4 (Close-up of the tubes)


The 2 culture plates have been refrigerated until I can devote some time to a fruiting attempt.


--------------------
Message me for free microscopy services on Psilocybe, Panaeolus, and Gymnopilus species.

Looking for wild Panaeolus species prints. Msg me for trades.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Puerto Rican Ganoderma Isolation! [Re: BlimeyGrimey] * 1
    #8450483 -

So was it fruiting from underground roots or did it form that antler off a tree?


--------------------
It's easy! Send your clean prints to www.fsrcanada.com

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Puerto Rican Ganoderma Isolation! [Re: Andrew47] * 1
    #8451241 -

It was growing out of the dirt right next to a small tree stump. At first it looked like a shelf fungi attached to the stump. When I pulled it loose I saw that the antler was actually growing out of the dirt , literally up against the stump. I'm assuming it was feeding off of the roots or a lower underground part of the stump.

Here's an extra pic of the original PDA plate which was streakled with the pore tissue. Its browing quite nicely in the fridge.


--------------------
Message me for free microscopy services on Psilocybe, Panaeolus, and Gymnopilus species.

Looking for wild Panaeolus species prints. Msg me for trades.

Edited by BlimeyGrimey (05/27/08 04:58 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Puerto Rican Ganoderma Isolation! [Re: BlimeyGrimey] * 1
    #8455075 -

Congratulations on your success so far this is really cool. I've been lucky enough to now clone wild mushrooms as part of my job, but never from a foreign country! I'm surprised it made the travel so well. What did you store it in? Usually if left in warm bags for a few days they get bacteria-laden

So what are your plans from here? Sawdust, or maybe an outdoor bed? Wooden dowels?


--------------------
It's easy! Send your clean prints to www.fsrcanada.com

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Puerto Rican Ganoderma Isolation! (Updated with better pics) [Re: BlimeyGrimey] * 1
    #8455956 -

That is sssssoooooo awesome! I guess you need to start making syringes...
... for all your good friends, buddy! :dogpile:

I wonder if a spore supplier would be interested in buying spores from a collector of a strain they didn't have?


--------------------
Question: Why do women wear make-up and perfume? 
Answer: Because they're ugly and they stink.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Puerto Rican Ganoderma Isolation! (Updated with better pics) [Re: BrandNewbie] * 1
    #8460891 -

I plan on starting some pf style cakes first simply because I still havent got a new PC yet. Here's a tip, never get rid of your small 8 qt. PC until AFTER you have gotten a new larger one. :frown:

Once those are colonized I'll spawn it to some pasteurized sawdust and attempt a fruiting. I might wait until I get a PC though.

Once I get some new plates I'll start trading wedges to people who want to trade.

I've sent a sample plate of this culture to Workman for further study.;)


--------------------
Message me for free microscopy services on Psilocybe, Panaeolus, and Gymnopilus species.

Looking for wild Panaeolus species prints. Msg me for trades.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Puerto Rican Ganoderma Isolation! (Updated with better pics) [Re: BlimeyGrimey] * 1
    #8460921 -

Nice job!


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Puerto Rican Ganoderma Isolation! [Re: Andrew47] * 1
    #8536222 -

Well I inoculated a pint jar of barley about a week ago. The jar is now about 75% colonized.

Would spawning this to coco fiber (animal bedding type) work for fruiting or does it have to be sawdust/chips/dowels?

I plan on just spawning the barley and coco fiber at 50/50 ratio then casing with sterilized cactus soil or plain vermiculite. I'll be attempting to fruit out of the jar kinda (using a plastic container instead of jar).

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I'll post a pic of the colonizing jar tomorrow.


--------------------
Message me for free microscopy services on Psilocybe, Panaeolus, and Gymnopilus species.

Looking for wild Panaeolus species prints. Msg me for trades.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Puerto Rican Ganoderma Isolation! [Re: BlimeyGrimey] * 1
    #8536227 -

RogerRabbit said:
Reishi will grow on coir, sawdust-woodchips, and even straw, but not as well.

RR



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Puerto Rican Ganoderma Isolation! [Re: wisp] * 1
    #8539178 -

Here's a pic of some of the jars that I recently made. Barley and popcorn were soaked in a dilute (50%) coffee solution for 24hrs then strained for 1 hr and pc'ed for 90 minutes.


Here's a pic of my first jar of the PR Ganoderma which is almost done colonizing. Only needed 1 shake 4 days after inoculation (6/9) with an agar wedge.


I'll update as soon as I spawn it to some coco fiber. Maybe in 2 or 3 days.


--------------------
Message me for free microscopy services on Psilocybe, Panaeolus, and Gymnopilus species.

Looking for wild Panaeolus species prints. Msg me for trades.

Edited by BlimeyGrimey (06/19/08 03:22 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Puerto Rican Ganoderma Isolation! [Re: BlimeyGrimey] * 1
    #8539184 -

Nice. This has been a very interesting growlog so far.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Puerto Rican Ganoderma Isolation! [Re: wisp] * 1
    #8557582 -

I spawned the 3/4 pint of barley to 3/4 pint of coco fiber in a small gladware container on the 21st. As of this morning its mostly colonized except for a few parts on the very bottom.



I plan to case this with sterilized cactus soil in the next few days.


--------------------
Message me for free microscopy services on Psilocybe, Panaeolus, and Gymnopilus species.

Looking for wild Panaeolus species prints. Msg me for trades.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Puerto Rican Ganoderma Isolation! [Re: BlimeyGrimey] * 1
    #8579549 -

When I cased this container I accidentally grabbed a sterilized jar of coir instead of cactus soil. Its colonizing this layer quite fast and I've already thrown it into a FC. I'll probably just let it fruit uncased once its done colonizing. The mycelium on the sides of the container are turning a yellow color as it ages.




--------------------
Message me for free microscopy services on Psilocybe, Panaeolus, and Gymnopilus species.

Looking for wild Panaeolus species prints. Msg me for trades.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* puerto ricans and potentcy strang 1,313 5 10/15/01 09:22 PM
by ralphster44
* puerto ricans ajg2425 1,146 10 12/10/02 02:46 AM
by Joshua
* Puerto Ricans' sensibility to ph. LilMerlin 1,180 9 12/03/02 01:25 PM
by Alkaloids
* did i screw up my KARO jars? UPDATE: pics 4hodmt 2,510 12 08/12/04 08:46 AM
by SHR00MiN
* Steaming jars instead of boiling update (pics)
( 1 2 all )
nobodycares42 4,622 23 12/06/01 01:05 AM
by Anonymous
* Jar & Filter Test Update -- Pic SixTango 2,002 7 04/03/02 11:27 PM
by DinoMyc
* Single Strain (spore) Isolation and the Benefits.. TrippinRhino 9,431 18 07/24/01 12:02 AM
by Anno
* PR casing - slow growing and small (pics) seattlekid 2,691 16 07/26/02 10:25 PM
by pleezr

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: RogerRabbit, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta
13,809 topic views. 0 members, 5 guests and 6 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.034 seconds spending 0.01 seconds on 18 queries.