Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinesBUD
enthusiast
is it me or do casings take longer than cakes??
    #823682 - 08/17/02 01:11 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Usually the moment i see pins on a cake, in less than 5 dayz they have matured. And as each day that goes by, they get bigger.
BUuuuut , this one casing i got...i've seen the pins about 3 dayz ago and they really havent moved much. Seemed like it kinda stalled and has stopped growing! MUCH diiferent from cakes. Now is this normal or did i fuck up somewhere??
Also a feww of those bigger pins (about 1.5-2" long) their caps seem to be getting darker..which i know is no good, a sign its aborting. Should i increase the %RH...or is there nothing i can do and let the cards play out? =*(

sBUD

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
Re: is it me or do casings take longer than cakes?? [Re: sBUD]
    #823689 - 08/17/02 01:14 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

You need to provide more information. For instance, you're asking if you should raise RH%. How would anyone know without knowing what it currently is. Etc.

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

OfflinesBUD
enthusiast
Re: is it me or do casings take longer than cakes?? [Re: mickey_rourke]
    #826575 - 08/18/02 05:55 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

sorry about that mickey. I knew i forgot something LOL

Humidity range is about 88-93%
Using perlite
temp range is around 80-85F
casing with jus normal verm
strain is tapalpa
was about 30-40% colonized when placed in the pinning chamber!
They started off good but then it stalled for some reason. I'd have to say 1% is about 1.5" long, 25% around 1" long and the rest r less than 1/2"long. There's even a few that look like there aint even a stalk but just the cap ontop of the mycellium. How should i remove them if they remain that way and become aborts without damaging the casing layer (cus would that bruise it??)

Another of my casing is sitting in the incubator and the mycellium looks quite wet. When i take a close look at it thru the sran wrap, i can literally see wet spots ON the myc. The acq heater is around 85F .
There r many spots that have myc poking thru....but could those wet spots cause mold? the casing looks like its sweating like nuts. Is that healthy or a probable cause for contams???

sBUD

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
    #826601 - 08/18/02 06:05 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

To answer your original question, I think that casing might be contaminated. The environment sounds good, but I don't understand the "30-40% colonized when placed in the pinning chamber" line. If you mean that you put the casing in the fruiting chamber when the spawned substrate was 30-40% colonized, I'm positive you have contamination. If you see new dense growth that's really white, you might want to keep an eye on it. If it turns green, shitcan it of course. In a pinch, you could always take a light sniff to see if you can detect anything off kilter.

To answer the second question, you probably want to avoid getting too much water on the mycellium. It can die as a result of oversaturation and of course this would invite contamination.

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

OfflinesBUD
enthusiast
Re: is it me or do casings take longer than cakes?? [Re: mickey_rourke]
    #826656 - 08/18/02 06:24 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

"but I don't understand the "30-40% colonized when placed in the pinning chamber" line. "

>>>Srry, what i mean is that 30-40% of the suface has mycellium poking thru. And knowing that the mycellium is very wet and (basically) dripping water...welll i wouldt go that extreme....could i put it in the pinning chamber NOW or should i wait a lil longer til more of the casing surface is colonized and the mycellium is less wet (lowering the heater down a bit, i s'pose)

Yess, im quite worried about the over saturation. The fact that adding a casing that has the mycellium dripping wet into a highly humidified pinning chamber...could that be disastrous???

Remember this casing also has moist perlite as a bottom layer....just figure i remind u of that in case u may have forgotten. Maybe that could be a cause as to why its soooo dam wet up there!!!

sBUD

Offlinedracon
journeyman

#826664 - 08/18/02 06:31 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Yes if your casing was dripping wet and you have a bottom caseing your probably to hydrated, allso you might want to lower your temperature just a bit

--------------------
Support NORML

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Re: is it me or do casings take longer than cakes?? [Re: dracon]
    #826667 - 08/18/02 06:33 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

In reply to:

you might want to lower your temperature just a bit

Doh, just looked at his temps again and it did say in the 80's. I agree, that's too warm for my tastes. Try to drop the fruiting chamber to the low/mid 70's. That's always worked great for me. Luckily, I keep my place close to 72-74 year round, so it's easy to regulate.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains