Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Electric Upright Bass
    #8136866 -

I have been thinking about getting myself an electric upright bass but I have no idea as to what brands are good. Or which is a good beginners bass.
Does anyone have any experience with upright basses? Please enlighten me.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Electric Upright Bass [Re: Kamek]
    #8137173 -

I played in college and still got my upright, I've always wanted one of those electric uprights because they sound very hip. I'm not sure on brands, but I'd recommend getting one that's to about the same scale as a regular upright bass if you have any thoughts of broadening your horizons into that department in the future.

Heres a clip with my old bass teacher Catalin Rotaru playing a bit of electric upright (not really doing anything fancy) when he was touring with Anca Parghel in Europe. This definitely isn't an example of his virtuosity but more to give you an example of the sound. of it.

[flash=425,350]<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="
&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" </embed></object>[/flash]


--------------------
All that groks is God.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Electric Upright Bass [Re: Kamek]
    #8137174 -

Do you play electric upright bass?  I would suggest just gettin a normal base but hey thats just me :shrug:


--------------------
check out my music!
drowse in prison and your waking will be but loss

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Electric Upright Bass [Re: g00ru]
    #8137199 -

When you say normal bass, do you mean a REAL normal bass, or a bass guitar?

OP: Why not go with an acoustic stand-up?


--------------------
!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Electric Upright Bass [Re: jewunit]
    #8137213 -

I already have a bass guitar I play in a band but I want something with a bigger sound and I have always liked upright basses. I think they are one of the coolest instruments out there.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Electric Upright Bass [Re: Kamek]
    #8137237 -

No I mean why an electric upright and not an acoustic.


--------------------
!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Electric Upright Bass [Re: jewunit]
    #8137294 -

Ow I see. I don't really see the advantage of getting an acoustic one.
An electric upright is much more portable and affordable I think. And I suppose it is much easier to amplify and adjust the sound.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I am not very knowledgeable about these things.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Electric Upright Bass [Re: Kamek]
    #8137313 -

I'm not a bassist, so I'm not really either. Just a bit of a jazz elitist, so I always prefer the sound of a true acoustic stand up. You can always get it hooked up to play to an amp and shit. But it really doesn't matter. And yeah, they are far more portable and easy to amp.


--------------------
!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Electric Upright Bass [Re: jewunit]
    #8137378 -

jewunit said:
I'm not a bassist, so I'm not really either. Just a bit of a jazz elitist, so I always prefer the sound of a true acoustic stand up. You can always get it hooked up to play to an amp and shit. But it really doesn't matter. And yeah, they are far more portable and easy to amp.



The difference in size is where it's at. Seriously, it's almost incomparable. Acoustic basses are magnifico-big. With a hard shell case around it, it seems pretty unmanageable. (Saw a guy on the subway with one once... hah.)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Electric Upright Bass [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #8137423 -

I saw a guy riding a bike with one today. Of all artists I definitely admire musicians the most.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Electric Upright Bass [Re: Kamek]
    #8137577 -

I imagine the electric uprights are a bit less sensitive to humidity and temperature conditions (one would hope).

Quote:
The difference in size is where it's at. Seriously, it's almost incomparable. Acoustic basses are magnifico-big. With a hard shell case around it, it seems pretty unmanageable. (Saw a guy on the subway with one once... hah.)



I couldn't imagine dealing with one of those fuckers on a subway.  I had enough problems try to fit one in a ford escort along with an amp and my electric bass.:lol:

Quote:
I saw a guy riding a bike with one today.



:eek:
I assume you mean an electric upright?  I don't know how a person could ride a bike with an 3/4 or full upright bass, or maybe you mistook a cello for one?

Quote:
Ow I see. I don't really see the advantage of getting an acoustic one.



I guess if your not heavy into jazz or classical it might not pay to get an acoustic upright, some of the advantages would be a real nice traditional jazz and classical tone(but that still varies from upright to upright, each bass has its' own sound).

Edited by Riboflavin (03/12/08 04:18 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Electric Upright Bass [Re: Riboflavin]
    #8137600 -

No it was bigger than a cello, the guy had it on his back as a backpack.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Electric Upright Bass [Re: Kamek]
    #8137611 -

Wow, impressive, and a bit crazy.


--------------------
All that groks is God.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Electric Upright Bass [Re: Riboflavin]
    #8137647 -

Most musicians are I suppose.
I've only ever ridden my bike with my bass guitar and a small amp and that was a challenge so I can only imagine what a double bass would be like. I wonder what those things weigh anyway...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Electric Upright Bass [Re: Kamek]
    #8137693 -

I just lifted mine up in the soft shell case for the hell of it, a rough guess would be about 60 lbs, they're more bulky than anything, oh and fragile around the edges, nothing you'd want to fall of a bike with.


--------------------
All that groks is God.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Electric Upright Bass [Re: Riboflavin]
    #8137745 -

i played violin and both stand up and eletric bass guitar, but i do not like the sound of an eletric upright bass, it doesn't have the depth that an acoustic upright bass. just get the hookups and put them on your bridge, my main bass teacher (also a student, but far more developed than the teacher) bought a set of hook ups and played like that so you still get the depth of having an acoustic, without the price of an electric.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Electric Upright Bass [Re: smokeybear]
    #8137822 -

So you are saying electric is more expensive?
How much do you think a decent bass goes for? I am just a beginner so I am not looking for something fancy. Just something for practice.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Electric Upright Bass [Re: smokeybear]
    #8138791 -

I so very much want the fishman all around bass pickup. It's supposed to have a great sound and be very feedback resistant.

http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/FFCBP.htm


--------------------
All that groks is God.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Electric Upright Bass [Re: Riboflavin]
    #8140274 -

Looks cool. How do these things work? It looks like it is just attached to the middle two strings. How is it connected to an amp?

And if anyone has some recommendations on acoustic or electric basses please post them. I would love to hear some reviews.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Electric Upright Bass [Re: Kamek]
    #8141390 -

It fits right in on a regular adjustable bridge (a great asset for adjusting the action on an upright bass), but the screw like knob apparatuses that are usually used for adjusting the bridge are replaced with the fishman brand ones that have pizzo electric mikes built into them.


--------------------
All that groks is God.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* z Almond Flour 630 13 04/02/09 09:16 AM
by gluke bastid
* i really like bass guitar
( 1 2 all )
notapillow 3,211 34 09/05/07 07:27 PM
by Brugman
* Bass face
( 1 2 all )
notapillow 3,232 24 02/12/07 09:48 PM
by notapillow
* Bass Players
( 1 2 all )
AA2277 5,296 36 07/08/06 07:54 PM
by AA2277
* Trying to get my bass to sound right. NewbieS 2,074 19 05/10/07 11:23 PM
by D4NK
* Does anyone play electric bass? MorphMan 631 5 02/03/07 11:29 AM
by Shroomism
* Bass Players out there... All We Perceive 1,024 11 01/23/08 05:19 PM
by JRayV
* Bass Players i need advice. ixitwistedixi 1,099 7 11/10/05 01:29 PM
by ixitwistedixi

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
865 topic views. 9 members, 14 guests and 126 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.032 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 14 queries.