Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Trying to get my bass to sound right.
    #6899332 -

So apparently with my head unit I can adjust my bass level, bass center frequency, bass bandwidth, and High Pass Filter.  All of this is Greek to me and I'm having trouble finding the right sounds.  Can someone break down in laymen terms what each of these adjustments does?  I've tried wiki and the car audio forums but I just don't understand sound :shrug:  I basically want nice clean regular music while the bass makes your chest vibrate. 

They also didn't fasten the box to the inside of my trunk.  Should they have?  They used the dynamat and all that but with 2 10" I should be feeling a lot more "BBBVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVTTT" right?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Trying to get my bass to sound right. [Re: Newbie]
    #6899391 -

Can't you just play around with knobs and see what they do?


--------------------
Huuuuurrrrrr!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Trying to get my bass to sound right. [Re: AlCapwn]
    #6899447 -

:lol:  That's what I've been doing and I'm confusing the hell out of myself.  Either I'm just getting used to the thud or I'm not setting something right.  It'll sound bangin on one song then shitty with the next.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Trying to get my bass to sound right. [Re: Newbie]
    #6899480 -

Well it really depends on what song you're playing. It's like playing Jimi Hendrix with max treble, it sounds awful.


--------------------
Huuuuurrrrrr!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Trying to get my bass to sound right. [Re: AlCapwn]
    #6899495 -

first things first.  Go to your amp and make sure the jackasses didn't fuck with the controls on it.  A lot of the sound monkeys at circuit shitty and crap buy jack up the bass levels on the amp, or hit the "super bass" switch that can come on amps, trying to give your more "boom".  First off, it sounds like crap, secondly if you've got all those controls jacked it's going to amplify the bass and render your head units EQ's useless.

I'm not too keen on what you've posted, but it sounds like parametric EQ controls.  Just like with all sounds bass has high, mids, and lows.  I'm guessing that center frequency control would set your bass levels in the middle of the frequency range and tuning it up or down would determine the range of bass you want your sub to output.

Do some google searching and hit up some car audio forums, im sure there are a lot more people out there who have more knowledge then me.  However i can offer you this advice.  To achieve the sound you want set all your eqs to be FLAT.  That means a setting of zero, or set the levels in the middle.  Then just sit there and fuck around with the controls until you get the sounds that you want.  Fuck preset EQ's, IMO they all sound like ass and are absolutely worthless, most of them just boost one level way above the others to create a feeling of more bass or more trebles, but in the end you end up with with muddy mids non existant highs, and distorted bass (or some other combination).

If you're just looking to test out your subs to see how much boom they can put out i suggest downloading some miami bass or the like, these guys focus on the uber low freq's and create tracks that can rattle screws loose and crack glass.  Personally i think the best way to approach a car system is to create a balanced sound, IMO if you're just boosting bass and leaving the rest alone the music just sounds like shit, you should be able to hear every instrument and every level of sound.  As stupid as it sounds when i set up my home stereo or install new components in my car, i use yanni's live at the acropolis to balance out my systems and get the sound that i desire. :smile:


--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)



Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Trying to get my bass to sound right. [Re: coda]
    #6899557 -

Yeah my original intention was to get the boom out of it but now I'm gearing it more toward balancing it out. I think I'm just getting used to the boom so it doesn't sound as loud or something. Thanks for the advice though, I'll start by setting everything back to 0.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Trying to get my bass to sound right. [Re: Newbie]
    #6899572 -

no doubt, also keep in mind that dynamat is used to dampen rattles and the like. It absorbs sound, this may also be a cause as to why your subs sound less punchy.

What size are your subs, what type of head unit are you running (sounds like an alpine), and what type of speakers/components you have in your car?

I recently threw in some awesome 5 1/2 in polks in my door and replaced my broken pioneer with a new clarion. God, putting that clarion in my car reminded me of why i love the brand so much. Pure, clean, sound, no bullshit controls, and plenty of power. With stock 6x9's and my new door speakers, my system sounds so much better. I don't know why i put the pioneer in there, guess you don't care so much when the insurance company is paying for it.


--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)



Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Trying to get my bass to sound right. [Re: coda]
    #6899591 -

I have 2 10" Alpine Type R's with an alpine CDA-9883 head unit. I'm running my stock 6x9's and I got the 6.5" Infinities up front.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Trying to get my bass to sound right. [Re: Newbie]
    #6899600 -

high pass filter to 80
loud OFF

the rest should be based on what you drive :shrug:

They really should have screwed your boxes down =/

go get an L bracket at home depot and do it yourself then.

I think with most cars and most solid amp setups 2 10"'s should get you to the bass that you want. :smile:


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Trying to get my bass to sound right. [Re: Newbie]
    #6899621 -

pulled this from crutchfield

Quote:
Alpine's Bass Engine® feature lets you adjust the centerpoints of your treble and bass controls so you can really shape your tone. Three sets of preamp outputs provide connections for adding external amplifiers. If you have a subwoofer, Bass Engine's low-pass filter will keep the bass smooth and tight, while a high-pass filter ensures that your speakers aren't overloaded by too much bass.



I definitely agree with theuser, two 10's are more then enough to provide some great bass. I was looking at the same headunit myself but went for the clarion because it has an aux input on the front so i can run my mp3 player through it.


--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)



Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Trying to get my bass to sound right. [Re: theuser]
    #6899640 -

Do you think mounting the box will give it that much more thump?  Also, I have noticed the HPF sounds best at 80.  I just don't know what it means :lol:.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Trying to get my bass to sound right. [Re: Newbie]
    #6899646 -

Quote:
while a high-pass filter ensures that your speakers aren't overloaded by too much bass.



I don't know if it will increase the SPL or decibels of your subs, but bracketing your subs keeps them from shifting around and breaking things in your setup.


--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)



Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Trying to get my bass to sound right. [Re: coda]
    #6899658 -

I try to keep my car safety equipment wedged between the wall of my trunk and the sub box, to prevent too much movement. Maybe I'm just picky. It's like I can hear how loud the bass is, but cant feel it, if that makes any sense.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Trying to get my bass to sound right. [Re: Newbie]
    #6899685 -

yah, i know what you mean. Problem might lie within your box, you won't feel the boom as much as if you had embedded the subs with a custom job. Sometimes it helps to flip the box around so the woofers are pointed towards you instead of your tail.


--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)



Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Trying to get my bass to sound right. [Re: coda]
    #6899699 -

I thought of that but is that safe/cool to do? There's wiring in there I really don't want to fuck with or accidentally displace. I should just be able to flip it right around though, right?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Trying to get my bass to sound right. [Re: Newbie]
    #6899707 -

Maybe you're hearing the distortion loud and clear?

:thumbup:


--------------------
  Moderation is key 

  "There is no god higher than truth." 


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Trying to get my bass to sound right. [Re: Newbie]
    #6899762 -

the wiring in your trunk is very simple. Pretty much the only thing that you need to dis and reconnect are the speaker wires from the amp to the sub. If the monkeys did it right they should have installed banana clips that slide out easily of your subs connections. The other wires in your trunk are your remote line and power line. The remote line connects the amp to your head unit and the power line goes directly to your car's battery (unless you've installed a secondary battery).

So, if you know how to connect speaker wires then you can move your sub around pretty easily. However, if they didn't give you enough length in your speaker wire you might have to cut some new cable to give you the reach you need.


--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)



Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Trying to get my bass to sound right. [Re: coda]
    #6899789 -

Ugh....I'll bring it in on a day I have off so I can talk to the Senior over in the install bay.  Everyone there says he's the bee's knees when it comes to Car-Fi so I'll see what he has to say.  I'm that car illiterate that I'm afraid to move two wires.

I guess now I can kind of understand how people feel when they bring their computers to geek squad and ask me to install a stick of RAM because they're afraid to do it themselves.  Same principle. :lol:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Trying to get my bass to sound right. [Re: Newbie]
    #6899895 -

man, back in the day you actually did need someone to install computer parts.  Fuck, installing simms was such a pain, having to load device drivers in memory, fucking around with memory in general, you really needed a working knowledge of computers in order to do your own upgrades and repairs.  Christ, i remember when it used to cost 100$ to have a floppy installed, i don't even think computers come with floppy drives anymore.  It's a wonder people these days don't know how to do shit themselves, everything is so fucking user friendly it's near impossible to fuck shit up.  Color code this, labeled that, plug and play takes out all the work of installing hardware, it's just not fun anymore.

If i were you id stick around the install bay when you get your work done, this way you can patch, repair, and upgrade your system yourself.  The end result is more gratifying, you won't have to spend money on installation, and you operate on your own schedule instead of having to wait around for your car to be worked on.

In reality it should be a 5 min fix to flip your subs from back to front, once you see how easy it is you'll have no problem doing it in the future :smile:


--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)



Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Trying to get my bass to sound right. [Re: coda]
    #6900104 -

IME, it's actually pretty hard to fuck shit up with car audio.  I've done every mistake in the book and the only thing I fucked up is a deck when I accidentally shot the component amp signal into the deck speaker outputs instead of the components!  Smoke was definitely rolling out of the deck.  Lesson learned though, don't work on stereo's high, and don't cut the wrong end of a three-way splice (or just don't do them period).

:thumbup:


--------------------
  Moderation is key 

  "There is no god higher than truth." 


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Shroomery Bass Wars
( 1 2 3 all )
desant 2,239 54 04/11/10 12:59 PM
by CMACD
* True Audiophile Speakers
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Hrethic 7,008 63 08/06/09 12:45 AM
by unretarded
* Cleaners broke my speaker AJ4U 1,234 8 05/25/07 03:45 PM
by AJ4U
* Bass
( 1 2 all )
Hakim0777 2,337 26 09/27/07 06:16 PM
by Iolaa
* Looking for a bass amp Hyper_Panda_GO 1,514 14 07/03/08 10:05 PM
by Dude96
* Car Speakers... a few ?'s Phychotron 1,148 8 03/24/05 02:00 PM
by Phychotron
* A Bass lovers plea for help MovingTarget 831 8 10/29/04 03:44 PM
by MovingTarget
* speaker help MarleryCatooOO 439 1 03/12/07 10:53 PM
by Vanguard

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
2,074 topic views. 5 members, 17 guests and 63 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.041 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 16 queries.