Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleSoFarNorth
Hindu BuddistInitiate
Loc: Far away from here
Overgrowing the pasture
    #812239 - 08/12/02 06:23 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Howdy!

Well, here's a question that I've not yet seen addressed, perhaps because I live in a somewhat unique situation. We have a three acre pasture with horses on it, so there is plentiful manure, and non-psilly mushrooms grow profusely there...but what I'm looking to do, is to seed/inoculate the pasture with spores of our favorite fungii so that all I've got to do is pick, instead of actively grow (not that I'll stop, but any activitiy is more fun when you do it because you want to, not because you're forced to). So, some questions....

1. What spores/strains would be best in a northern clime (100 miles south of the canadian border)?
2. What is your opinions on the best way to get the pasture 'seeded' with the right sorts of shrooms?
3. Is there any case history on animal/shroom interaction? My wife is worried that one of the horses would eat a few caps and wreak havoc in some insane sort of equine extravaganza. I pointed out that horses are insane from birth so it wouldn't matter...but I digress....

Anything else I'm missing here?

thanks!

--------------------
"Those that would sacrifice essential liberties for some temporary safety deserve neither."
Ben Franklin

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePsylocybinFiend
homie
Re: Overgrowing the pasture [Re: SoFarNorth]
    #812356 - 08/12/02 07:31 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I can only speak to question 3 and all I have to say to that is don't grow shrooms where your horses might have access to them. Obviously you're planning on planting the shrooms yourself i.e. you can control where they grow.

--------------------
Organized religion is a tool of the masses to explain what they fear and are too ignorant to understand.

Anonymous

#812428 - 08/12/02 08:02 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

in answer to #2, do a search for moe's outdoor tek.

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

Re: Overgrowing the pasture [Re: PsylocybinFiend]
    #812461 - 08/12/02 08:17 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

It seems Scottish sheep have been nibbling shrooms and having a ball!
http://mjshroomer.yage.net/news14.htm

InvisibleSoFarNorth
Hindu BuddistInitiate
Re: Overgrowing the pasture [Re: ]
    #812547 - 08/12/02 08:48 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks, but I think I wasn't as clear as I could've been in my original post. I've read Moe's outdoor tek several times, and it's wonderful for it's purpose - which, in this case, is not what I was looking for...go figure, eh?

Anyhow, what I'm wanting to do is to have many (hopefully very many) colonies set up through out the pasture w/o having to dig up the entire place, which would upset the horses thoroughly.

I was speculating about the possibility of rehydrating a spore print in a gallon of water in a watering can and walk around the pasture giving the various piles a spritz, and hoping that 10% or so take off and start propagating on their own. I'm not smart enough (yet) in mycology to know if there is even a possibility of this working, so I'm casting my bread upon the waters and seeing what comes back.

thanks!

--------------------
"Those that would sacrifice essential liberties for some temporary safety deserve neither."
Ben Franklin

Invisiblemisterogerz

Loc: Gulf Coast
    #812579 - 08/12/02 09:04 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

i remember reading something saying u could drill a hole in an apple, knock some spores into it and feed it to one of the horses

--------------------
:potleaf: :tendshroom: :potleaf:
:leaf::peyotespectrum::leaf:

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #812837 - 08/12/02 11:05 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I believe in your location, you would have to re-inocculate the area with mcelium every year because cubensis cannot survive the harsh winters.

I think you could succeed in getting Panaolus subbalteatus to take permanently in that climate.

subbs could probably be started in outdoor patches spawned with cakes or casings of subbs mycelium using Moes outdoor tek, and then they should spread from there.

You might want to learn how to identify subbs, they may already be growing in your feild. Subbs are more dificult to identify, and are more easily confused with poisionous species.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

InvisibleSoFarNorth
Hindu BuddistInitiate
Re: Overgrowing the pasture [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #812865 - 08/12/02 11:12 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the suggestions - looks like I've got some more learnin' to do...

--------------------
Ben Franklin

Offlinejonnyshaggs420
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mid-West
    #813022 - 08/12/02 12:13 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

It is thought that most dung loving mushroom spores do not merely land on poo then start growing. The idea is that the animal ingests the spores that are laying on the grass then the spores ride through the weak intestinal system of the animals then stays in the middle of the poo when it exits the animal. There it germinates after the heap has begun to cool down (chemically speaking) and grows from there. The apple technique sounds like a good approach if you are to attempt it, but you'll need alot of spores, and I've never heard of p. cubensis growing wild on horse dung.

--------------------
Vote Jonnyshaggs in the next election for GOD...Its the responsible choice

OfflinesBUD
enthusiast
    #813049 - 08/12/02 12:27 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Although many other ppl's advice is great, the best thing to do is experiment and see for ur own eyes.
U may discover something that no1 else has! =D

"horses r insane from birth so it wouldnt matter..."
>>so r humans ....and there's quite a lot of humans that need shrooms to get sane LOL (like those dam law
enforcement punks-talk about a criminal organiztion there! )

How about innoculating under the soil from where u see the shrooms grow from. Obviously cubensis strains
would not work well in those climates. Good luck though and tell me how it went

sBUD

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds