Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleartizen
JEFFERSONIAN
Male

Loc: HOME SWEET HOME
Re-pasturize or go for it?
    #10104668 - 04/04/09 11:12 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

on thursday i pasturized a bunch of substrate material ( ~16 qts of coir/verm/coffee/gyp ) with the intention of using it by today. unfortunately i haden't realized all but 1 jar has stalled at like 90-95% so i won't be making my subs up today. when i pasturized the material i did it in a 5 gal bucket and the lid was snug duing pasturization and tight after it cooled and has not been opened. it also has extra water in and will be wrung out to field capacity.

i'm going away in a week for a week and the original plan was to have trays colinized and in the GH by the time we left. obviously that's not gonna happen now, so the new plan is to make them up a day or 2 before we leave and let them colinize while we're gone.

my question is if that bucket stays closed till i and the jars are ready ( 6-7 days after it was pasturized ) how much of a risk am i taking? i know it's advised to spawn asap but since i'll be working right up untill we leave i may not have time to re-pasturize the material.

i don't mean to sound lazy. i want to to this right especially since i'll be using most of my spawn but as i said TIME is an issue. i have seen 'pasturised, ready to use substrate material' for sale or is that stuff bunk. i'm thinking sealed in an old joint compound bucket is pretty tightly packaged or is it just a matter of it sitting that makes it go .... welll....sour.

sorry if this is a stupid question but i guess what i'm really asking is how long will the material 'keep'? also are there any drawbacks to pasturizing the same material twice?

--------------------
Formula: 0:levitate: Formula: 1                                                                                                     
HCA               AMU
IN  LOVING  MEMORY

1.6.1917  -  4.3.2010

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLophosaurus
suruasohpol
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: CA Flag
Re: Re-pasturize or go for it? [Re: artizen]
    #10104735 - 04/04/09 11:28 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Im not 100% sure but if you pasturize it and keep it sealed it should stay good for a long time. If you want to get your trays ready before you leave you could just cut off the uncolinized part of the cakes. Just throw away the uncolinized part and use the rest. I do that all the time and never have problems.

Invisibleartizen
JEFFERSONIAN
Male

Re: Re-pasturize or go for it? [Re: Lophosaurus]
    #10104851 - 04/04/09 11:46 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

well it's WBS and i've had a few too many cases of trich lately so i'm sticking with the 'couple days after 100%' rule. also i pasturized it the past i maintained about 150-160f for 2 hrs. this time i managed 160-170f for a good 4-5 hrs.

it's my understanding that pasturization keeps unwanted microbes, etc. at bay for a period of time but not permanently. the idea is not to kill off nutes and other beneficial beings. what your actually doing is giving the myc a head start so it's strong enough to defend itself against other inevitable stuff. just not sure how tight that timeline is.

--------------------
HCA               AMU
IN  LOVING  MEMORY

1.6.1917  -  4.3.2010

Invisibleartizen
JEFFERSONIAN
Male

#10110453 - 04/05/09 01:25 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

bump :whatdoyouthink:

--------------------
HCA               AMU
IN  LOVING  MEMORY

1.6.1917  -  4.3.2010

OfflineBuckeye Oysters
From Zero to Hero
 User Gallery

#10110478 - 04/05/09 01:30 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

If you pasteurize then seal up the sub you will get a nasty bacterial bloom in 24hrs.  Same goes if you make a past. straw log and forget to cut vent holes it will go bad in a day.  The only thing you can do is spread the sub out on a tarp and let it dry out.  Then rehydrate and repasteurize.

--------------------
Evolution is Lamarckism in disguise.  Adaptation never creates a new species or trait, but rather the new species/trait always existed within the parent DNA until circumstances allowed it to be activated.  For instance, every wolf has the DNA for poodles, but that DNA would never be revealed without man selectively breeding for it.

Invisibleartizen
JEFFERSONIAN
Male

Re: Re-pasturize or go for it? [Re: Buckeye Oysters]
    #10113137 - 04/05/09 09:19 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

god i hope not. if that's true the how do they package those pre-pasturized subs for sale?

i just cracked it open and it smells fresh like when you first mix it but, i remember RR saying that fresh earthy smell like when you go to a newly tilled farm is actually what trich smells like.

what would be the purpose behind drying it out? could i just wring it out and re-pasturize from there? as i said before lack of time to work on it is a major issue. if i need to  dry it out first, i have more material so i'll make a new batch and deal with the other stuff when i get back.

thanks for your input buckeye.

some more opinions would be greatly appreciated.

:thanx:

--------------------
HCA               AMU
IN  LOVING  MEMORY

1.6.1917  -  4.3.2010

OfflineBuckeye Oysters
From Zero to Hero
 User Gallery

#10113370 - 04/05/09 10:02 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

The prepackaged bags all have filter patches to allow gas exchange.

--------------------
Evolution is Lamarckism in disguise.  Adaptation never creates a new species or trait, but rather the new species/trait always existed within the parent DNA until circumstances allowed it to be activated.  For instance, every wolf has the DNA for poodles, but that DNA would never be revealed without man selectively breeding for it.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags