Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleBridgeburner
Not spiritual at all.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
State approves 'scientific theory of evolution' for school science standards
    #8045478 - 02/20/08 01:08 AM (13 years, 12 days ago)

link

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — Florida's State Board of Education has voted to use the term "scientific theory of evolution" in new science standards, the first time the word "evolution" has been included.

Florida's current standards require the teaching of evolution using code words like "change over time."

Adding the term "scientific theory" before the term "evolution" was a modified proposal at least one board member called a compromise, not standards proposed originally to the committee. The option to include "scientific theory" was made late last week.

The board narrowly passed the proposed change, voting 4-3, after more than an hour of public comment and additional discussion by the board.

Before the board voted, board member Roberto Martinez took issue with including "scientific theory" before "evolution" in the standards. He joked that the option "evolved very quickly" over the past "seven days." He quickly became serious, however, charging that the revision had been made to "placate" people who disagreed with the standards. He said they were also not vetted thoroughly as the original standards.

"We're watering down the best possible standards we could have," he said, calling the option "second-best."

Board member Donna Callaway, meanwhile, called the insertion "a very minimal addition."

Board Chairman T. Willard Fair voted last and essentially broke a tie among members.

Not everyone was pleased with the outcome, however.

Terry Kemple, the executive director of the Community Issues Council in Tampa, opposed adding language 'scientific theory' during public comments. Kemple has said he supports the current science standards as they are.

In his group's opinion, he said, adding "scientific theory does not begin to even address the problems" with the standards, which were drafted over approximately the past year.

--------------------

now, check out the comments on that page, i can't believe some of these people actually exist :confused:

--------------------

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCubensisCutter
mycologist
 User Gallery

Re: State approves 'scientific theory of evolution' for school science standards [Re: Bridgeburner]
    #8045489 - 02/20/08 01:10 AM (13 years, 12 days ago)

I THOUGHT JESUS CREATED THE WORLD?

--------------------

thats right cubes in december bitches

OfflineWakeboardrB
Pepe Silvia
Male

Re: State approves 'scientific theory of evolution' for school science standards [Re: CubensisCutter]
    #8045851 - 02/20/08 02:45 AM (13 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

#33 Posted by makitako on February 19, 2008 at 1:22 p.m. (Suggest removal)

We must all turn to the Flying Spaghetti Monster for absolute answers. Only he alone can reach out to us with his Noodly Appendage and cure us of all confusion and ignorance. Praise be to Pastafarianism!!!!

That one was by far my favorite. :lol: But there seems to be a lot more intelligent conversation and debate in there than you let on. Lots of great stuff about Evolution instead of religious zealots telling everyone they are going to burn in hell.

Fuck the article, I'm having a better time reading the comments.

--------------------
Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: State approves 'scientific theory of evolution' for school science standards [Re: WakeboardrB]
    #8045870 - 02/20/08 02:53 AM (13 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

#21 Posted by innervate on February 19, 2008 at 10:34 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Two things you can bet on:
Psilocybe mushrooms grow in California and Bill Wiese tried them.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

OfflineDragonChaser
Ice in Her Ass and Pussy
Male User Gallery

Re: State approves 'scientific theory of evolution' for school science standards [Re: Bridgeburner]
    #8046868 - 02/20/08 01:29 PM (13 years, 12 days ago)

While I am a religious person, I'm strongly against creationism being taught in schools, outside of a religions course.
Science rooms are for things which can be tested and proven scientifically. Evolution can, creationism can't.

--------------------
My name is Mud

OfflineJTB22
Stranger
    #8046906 - 02/20/08 01:38 PM (13 years, 12 days ago)

OfflineDragonChaser
Ice in Her Ass and Pussy
Male User Gallery

Re: State approves 'scientific theory of evolution' for school science standards [Re: JTB22]
    #8047143 - 02/20/08 02:40 PM (13 years, 11 days ago)

"Should we even have public schools? Maybe everybody should just go to privately funded schools."

Wow. What a tool. Like everyone has the cash to send their kids to private schools?
Public education, while it definitely needs much repair, is a key element to keeping the public complete, and total shit for brains.

--------------------
My name is Mud

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

Re: State approves 'scientific theory of evolution' for school science standards [Re: DragonChaser]
    #8047163 - 02/20/08 02:45 PM (13 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

DragonChaser said:
Wow. What a tool. Like everyone has the cash to send their kids to private schools?

You must not have school choice vouchers there. Here in Wisconsin, if your local public school is not meeting standards, which almost none of them are, you get a check from the government that you can use to pay tuition at a private school.

It's basically directing government funds away from failing public schools and putting it into those private schools which do a good job educating kids.

Great program, but very controversial here.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

OfflineDragonChaser
Ice in Her Ass and Pussy
Male User Gallery

Re: State approves 'scientific theory of evolution' for school science standards [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #8047181 - 02/20/08 02:48 PM (13 years, 11 days ago)

Oh man! I totally forgot about that!
That does sound like a good program, but I don't think my state does that... I just googled it but didn't see my state included.
Why is it so controversial?
It seems basic to me... if the government funded schools are failing and not doing their jobs, the government can pay for a better education. Seems like that would be enough said.

--------------------
My name is Mud

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

Re: State approves 'scientific theory of evolution' for school science standards [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #8047258 - 02/20/08 03:12 PM (13 years, 11 days ago)

Well, the catch is that it ends up being tax-payers dollars going to a religious institution, if the school is run by a church.

Separation of church/state would seem to preclude this but many people, myself included, think that as long as the parochial schools maintain some kind of basis in reality and give these kids a quality education there can't be much harm.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Community >> The Pub