Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDan
Re: Are these cyanescens (wavy caps)? * 1
    #80343 - 12/13/99 05:01 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Nope. They actually look like galerinas! Deadly little bitches. But I could be wrong. The cap coor is not right. There is no blue stain, no striated margin, and the gills are the wrong color. If you want a second opinion go to spiritplants and ask MJ

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Are these cyanescens (wavy caps)? [Re: Dan]
    #80345 - 12/13/99 08:28 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

These sort of look like some mushrooms I found growing out of dead logs in Ontario. It didn't stain blue so I wouldn't dare eat it. As Dan said, it does look like a Galerina which is why I wouldn't touch them.

InvisibleCaptain Jack
i [heart] you

#80346 - 12/13/99 08:32 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

For your convenience, here's the image:

------------------
Listen to Captain Jack.
http://www.mp3.com/captainjack99/

[This message has been edited by Captain Jack (edited December 13, 1999).]

--------------------
-
Captain Jack has been hailed as a brilliant scholar, discredited as a brilliant fraud, and mistaken for a much taller man on several occasions.

Anonymous

#80347 - 12/13/99 08:35 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Ugh... I would NOT trust that at ALL, the cap looks too thick, the gills are off, there's no bluing, the color's off...
Something deadly, no doubt. What, I cannot say. Don't eat it.

Offlinemattso
Malcontent
 User Gallery

Loc: Western WA
    #80348 - 12/13/99 09:56 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Those are INDEED a deadly Galerina Autumnalis. Five days after eating those you will die of acute liver failure. These are the guardians of knowledge.... their job in the grand scheme of things is to keep Knowledge a valuable commodity among entheopaths.
A sort of "thinning of the heard" thing....

We don't mind answering these questions, dill-baby, but you really should check the spore print on these before you bother posting a pic. Do so right now and you'll find it is rusty orange in deposit. - Where as Psilocybes leave a purple print...

matt, so

--------------------
"Humanity is entering into a time of consequences" ---
- Winston Churchill

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon, USA
Trusted Identifier
    #80349 - 12/14/99 10:13 AM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Holy shit!! Don't even think of eating that. This is one will kill you in a slow and agonizing manner. Ummmm, can I take out a life insurance policy on you?

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

Anonymous

#80350 - 12/14/99 10:42 AM (24 years, 3 months ago)

These are growing all over my mom's rose garden in Tacoma, WA. Anyway, they're pretty gross looking and they didn't stain blue.

InvisiblePsylosymon
Carpal Tunnel

#80351 - 12/13/99 11:27 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Nope, no Cyan there man.

------------------
Why you think I should wear a motorcycle helmet, why don't you wear it.Put on some wings like a parot.

OfflineAbaddon
Stranger
    #80352 - 12/16/99 12:29 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Guys, I think he died already!

Anonymous

#80353 - 12/16/99 08:11 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

I'm glad I didn't eat the ones that I found, which look exactly like those. I had a feeling they were Galerinas. It's still pretty cool to think that I found a deadly mushroom. I don't know why, it just is. It would be even cooler to find a psilocybe.

Anonymous

#80354 - 12/16/99 08:15 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

I just looked at a picture from the lycaeum. Galerina autumnalis has a ring. That mushroom doesn't look like it has a ring. Are you sure it isn't another Galerina species?

OfflinePsilowarrior
enthusiast
    #80355 - 12/16/99 08:16 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

It looks like we didn't catch dillweed in time. Do us all a favor buddy and let us know that you didn't eat those mushrooms, OK.

Offlinemattso
Malcontent
 User Gallery

Loc: Western WA
    #80356 - 12/16/99 08:55 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

G. Autumnalis can grow with a annulous or without.. I see it both ways all the time. Sometimes it just fades into a grayish annular zone a little way down the stem, sometimes there's a floppy red-stained felty annulous, sometimes there's nothing at all. I'm pretty confident it's just one of many varieties of G. Autumnalis -
Could be wrong, but thats unlikely :wink: - and immaterial - as most of the galerinas which share common traits and habitat with the autumnalis are just as deadly...

go in peace.

matt, so

--------------------
"Humanity is entering into a time of consequences" ---
- Winston Churchill

Offlineazurescen
meanderinemushie muncher
Loc: bellingham wa
    #80357 - 12/18/99 03:16 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

dude, ya need to go buy stamet's book so you dont kill yourself or someone else. It is a very valuable asset to be able to id your own mushrooms without having to ask all of us. just because they are shrooms growing on wood in oregon, does not mean they are good. learn the basics--sporeprint sporeprint sporeprint!!! purple-brown to black is good, rusty-brown is BAD BAD BAD BAD!!!!! ALSO look for cap color, carmely is good, striate margins are good, and the bluing reaction is always a good thing. stems should be tough and difficult to snap, the bluing reaction can take up to a couple of minutes.

--------------------
if the sign says dont pick the mushrooms, you should probably pick them

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #80358 - 12/19/99 10:14 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Well Dillweed, looks like you have Galerina marginata, one of three deadly Galerina's which macroscopically resemble Psilocybe cyanescens, P. fimetaria and P. stuntzii, the latter two are known locally in the Pacific Northwest as 'blue ringers's

All psilocybian mushrooms stain

blue when damaged.

see the image of bluing in the P. stuntzii and P. baeocystis images posted below.

Psilocybe stuntzii

Psilocybe baeocystis

Remember, it they stain

BLUE

like these images posted above, then you have a 100% real psilocybian psilophorian mushroom specimen.

Mj

[This message has been edited by mjshroomer (edited December 20, 1999).]

Offlinecrispy1
    #80359 - 12/20/99 04:48 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

These were what I was seeing and asking people about in a different thread. I am seeing these all over the Seattle area, some with less of an orange tint and VERY wavy caps. I even saw some growing in a community garden patch.

IMHO, it is useful to post and discuss look alikes on this board, as long as the poster qualifies that they know it is not the real thing, and just wants to identify the look alike for information purposes. Like this issue of an annulus on Galerinas, very interesting topic, all guide books I have seen show one but I am not typically seeing it in the field. Plus, I would like to point out again that Stamets pictures of Galerinas do not show ones that really look like wavy caps.

Anonymous

#80360 - 12/20/99 05:36 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

I'm glad to see that so many of you are concerned for my safety. Don't worry guys, I'm not an idoit (I think). Though I have probably 50 kinds of mushrooms growing around my place, I won't eat anything until I am 100% sure it's not harmful. So, I just have to learn how to do a spore print and find something purple.

InvisiblePsylosymon
Carpal Tunnel

#80361 - 12/20/99 09:41 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Damb man, I was staring to think Abaddon was right.Good to see your not dumb and dead!! :biggrin:

------------------
I love Oolar!!

Anonymous

#80362 - 12/21/99 08:08 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Me too, I was a little worried you might have had a slow and painful death.

------------------
"When you're high you never, ever want to come down"- Welcome to the Jungle, by Guns n' Roses

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract