Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Straw Log vs Monotub - RR care to comment?
    #8021021 -

I would appreciate any input I can get on this subject but would really like to hear from RR since he probably has the most experience with straw logs and is credited with being the first to adapt the tek to non-edibles.

I did cakes years ago and have did casings several times. I have my first monotub spawned. I just started some more spawn and was planning on starting up another monotub or two. I was doing some heavy reading last night and came upon RR's straw log tek on mycotopia and saw a few of the threads here about it sounded interesting. Now I don't know which to go with.

A monotub seems to take a little longer to set up but requires less work in the end. It will also probably out produce a straw log in the long run but with a straw log you get almost the entire harvest in the first flush (maybe second if you push it) and don't have to worry about contams if you make it to birthing and toss it after the first flush.

Another good thing about the straw log is the massive fruits. But having a forearm sized cubie is all and good but it still needs to be broken up to be eaten so it is really insignificant. I don't know the exact times but I would think from start to finish a straw log would take less time as well since you aren't dealing with 3-4+ flushes.

While maximizing yield would be nice it isn't really a huge priority, if I wanted more I would just do more logs. I'm more concerned about decreasing the chance of the entire thing going bad, either with contams or just something random going wrong.

Opinions?

RR - I think I found a design that will allow me to keep the logs vertical the entire time and give me the ability to rotate it without touching it at all. I am trying to work out a balance for maintaining a high humidity without impeding FAE but have an idea how I will do that as well.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Straw Log vs Monotub - RR care to comment? [Re: Smushroom]
    #8021260 -

I have a RR tek log I just finished preparing yesterday. My only concern is the spacing of my slits in the plastic. I made mine a little closer than every three inches. but the slits themselves are a tad smaller than 1/2 inch. I hope it evens out. I also used a ton of spawn to speed up colonization. I will keep an eye on this thread. wish me luck.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Straw Log vs Monotub - RR care to comment? [Re: Smushroom]
    #8021365 -

did you know that
one can dunk a straw log
to get multiple flushes ?
speaking of mycotopia & reading-
did you see
this ?
http://forums.mycotopia.net/dunking/3473-reusing-strawlogs-maximum-yeilds.html
&
http://forums.mycotopia.net/contamination-pests-bugs/10047-straw-log-1-week-after-bleach-dunk.html



--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Straw Log vs Monotub - RR care to comment? [Re: Hippie3]
    #8023597 -

I had seen several people comment about dunking and reusing. A lot of them kept the logs in a bin to keep the humidity up since it tended to dry out just leaving outside a bin (from what I read) which kind of defeats the purpose of the log limiting FAE and requiring you fan.

The bleach dunk may be a solution in case it contams. I do like the idea of using it as a huge quantity of spawn in a tub. Could even turn that into a monotub after the fact. Spawning it 1:2 to poo/verm and casing would allow for super fast colonization and give it some extra nutes to go another couple of flushes. I would probably suggest soaking before mixing up the spawn to improve water content.

I am working on adapting my stand up log idea to allow to actually soak the log inverted without even having to move it. Would avoid unnecessary roughing up the log by moving.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Straw Log vs Monotub - RR care to comment? [Re: Smushroom]
    #8024056 -

You can make some pretty easy and great straw balls inside an ordinary trash bag with spawn and straw, I know that dosen't answer any questions but thought I would share it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Straw Log vs Monotub - RR care to comment? [Re: Dr_Mcgillicuddy]
    #8024301 -

Here's the answer horse shit!! You got shit witch the mushie's love and straw witch the mushie's love. That is my next grow, witch I am getting spawn jars (wbs) going for as I type.I'm going for probably 4 or so horse shit mono tubs cased with something I'm not to sure yet. I have a horse shit tray that has pins all over it. Uncased and about 2" deep. I'll be posting some pics of my fruits in about 2-3 days, so keep a eye out.Good luck with your grow.Thats just me pocket change.:cool:


--------------------
NEVER DO THIS!!!

RAND PAUL WHO's THAT? :shrug:
! NO MORE BIG GOVERNMENT !

FIRST EDIBLES 2010

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Straw Log vs Monotub - RR care to comment? [Re: tonyshroom]
    #8024693 -

I've never seen much success with vertical logs. The tops always seem to dry out, and the bottoms flood because water drains there by gravity. If you flip them every few days, the movement causes damage. Horizontal seems to work best.

I've only had limited success dunking straw projects of any kind. However, that's because I'm sandwiched between a temperate rain forest, and a real rain forest. Trichoderma spores are rampant here. If you live in a drier climate, you might have more success getting multiple flushes from straw. For me, it's a one flush wonder.
RR


--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms



semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Straw Log vs Monotub - RR care to comment? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #8025824 -

Interesting about vertical not working. I know there was a good bit of discussion in some of your first post over there and I know vertical is how oyster growers and whatnot do it. I guess it does make sense about the moisture loss up top since oyster grows keep the sleeves on.

Trich isn't that bad here in general but my house is roughly 85 years old and has some leaks/waterdamage and wall to wall carpet so I have had a few contam problems.

Has anyone attempted a tyvek tube? It would allow for gas exchange but would retain all the moisture. I don't know if it would let too much CO2 escape though. Would also be almost impossible to see when pins start to form. It may be worth a shot to experiment with though.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Straw Log vs Monotub - RR care to comment? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #8026646 -

I find it is usually trich that ends the life of anything straw

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Straw Log vs Monotub - RR care to comment? [Re: Dr_Mcgillicuddy]
    #8032463 -

:cool:

Edited by Swan Song (02/27/08 06:37 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Straw Log vs Monotub - RR care to comment? [Re: Swan Song]
    #8032475 -

can anyone recommend a good log tek i can look at?


--------------------
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Straw Log vs Monotub - RR care to comment? [Re: Broooodward]
    #8032481 -

this is RR's tek

http://www.shrooms.com/strawlog.htm
For more indepth instruction, I highly recommend roger rabbit's DVD which you can find a link to in the bottom of his post (above).

It has had great reviews. I have not had the extra cash to purchase it just yet, but plan to ask for it for my birthday this year. I have seen some of his clips on You tube and was quite pleased with the manner in which he presents the material. I think you'll enjoy it if you are new to the hobby.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Straw Log vs Monotub - RR care to comment? [Re: Swan Song]
    #8032490 -

thanks


--------------------
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Straw Log vs Monotub - RR care to comment? [Re: Broooodward]
    #8032530 -

BTW RR, you were right about leaving them at room temperature. I could feel the heat coming off of the log with my hand last night.

I like this tek of yours because it requires no lights or heating or humidification if done properly according to the tek. Not to mention that it produces a huge volume faster than the other bulk methods.

Only drawback may be subsequent flushes. I don't care about that though. I just wanted to try this tek. wish me well.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Straw Log vs Monotub - RR care to comment? [Re: Swan Song]
    #8032934 -

Lostinnc your avatar is sooooo distracting!
DAMN YOU!!!
:jester:


--------------------
Give a man a fire and he will be warm for the rest of the night.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
NEWB NEWBIE NEWCOMER IGNORANT? QUESTIONS?
Click HERE HERE HERE HERE For detailed instructions with pictures on how to grow mushrooms. There is a lot of info on the Shroomery and this is what you need to know.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Straw Log vs Monotub - RR care to comment? [Re: Peterthinks]
    #8033897 -

^ someone needs to get laid


--------------------
Phi Alpha

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Straw Log vs Monotub - RR care to comment? [Re: HeadFood]
    #8034670 -

HeadFood said:
^ someone needs to get laid



Ya hit the nail on the head there...I'm feeling much better now.
:jester:


--------------------
Give a man a fire and he will be warm for the rest of the night.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
NEWB NEWBIE NEWCOMER IGNORANT? QUESTIONS?
Click HERE HERE HERE HERE For detailed instructions with pictures on how to grow mushrooms. There is a lot of info on the Shroomery and this is what you need to know.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Straw Log vs Monotub - RR care to comment? [Re: Hippie3]
    #8034694 -






that is a great picture

:mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Straw Log vs Monotub - RR care to comment? [Re: Peterthinks]
    #8035286 -

Peterthinks said:
Lostinnc your avatar is sooooo distracting!
DAMN YOU!!!
:jester:



Thanks, I try to keep it interesting.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Straw Log vs Monotub - RR care to comment? [Re: Swan Song]
    #8035347 -

IMHO...Straw logs hold lots of moisture...when added things like coco coir, coffee grinds, olive oil, it makes a great substrate but usually contaminates after the 2-3 flush but you get MONSTERS off each flush so it balances out.
Monotubs - Supposedly ohmatic made the first monotub so that's what they call a monotub...something with 4-8 holes stuffed with polyfill..I laugh every time I see this but to alls prefer.. anyways im gonna call it a FC..Fruiting Chambers are extremely beneficial..When you read a lot and take the necessary time to learn...You can pull off 6 months worth of flushes from my personal experience but anyways when manure, coco coir, coffee grinds, compost things of that nature the flushes are fucking amazing especially with Hydrated Lime and gypsum ... edible farm growers notice a 30-60% increase in yield when the use of gypsum is present. But anyways I see a benefit with using monotubs instead of straw logs because 1. It's easier to rehydrate + you can just add a straw/manure combo and it's basically the same thing just a square....that's my intake on it...I'm studying more and more everyday and trying to put my words in more of a scientific understanding..heh

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* A few queries about straw logs germin8tionn8ion 1,103 1 04/28/04 08:49 PM
by acidhead1279
* Had a question about my straw log?? zPhar 1,427 10 10/12/03 07:48 PM
by zPhar
* Straw logs and oven bags distortion 1,515 3 07/04/03 08:30 PM
by hyper_dermic
* Straw log or store bought poo/straw mixture? Espresso 1,182 2 09/15/03 08:30 PM
by Espresso
* Straw log bags? Jopo 1,699 5 06/07/04 01:08 PM
by IfIWereARichMan
* Straw Log Quest. nambi 1,730 11 01/17/04 12:11 AM
by Nickster_154371
* straw logs ScU 1,596 8 07/04/03 12:55 AM
by hyper_dermic
* Straw Log TEK Told 3,098 4 10/28/03 06:59 AM
by Tomandjerry58

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
12,083 topic views. 12 members, 140 guests and 238 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.026 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 17 queries.